Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that the hand injury and surgery was to much to come back from for a fight as big as this?

I was at the fights in Vegas and was talking to one of Rich's friends before the weight in and asked if Rich was coming to sign autograghs like a lot of the other fighters and he told me that Rich was having trouble cutting weight and would not make it out for the autograph session.

Do you think that a shorter lay off would have made a difference for him?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just a bad gameplan for Rich. After catching a few in the early going he should've went for the take down. Silva defeats have all been on the ground (besides the DQ and 1st fight decision). I truley believe in the philosophy of sticking to your strengths, but if your opponent's strength is the same, and better that night, SHOOT! Rich got beat by a superior striker and a bad gameplan.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Tap-outNow said:
Just a bad gameplan for Rich. After catching a few in the early going he should've went for the take down. Silva defeats have all been on the ground (besides the DQ and 1st fight decision). I truley believe in the philosophy of sticking to your strengths, but if your opponent's strength is the same, and better that night, SHOOT! Rich got beat by a superior striker and a bad gameplan.
Yeah exactly, bad gameplan ... once everyone gets over Silva as the second coming, they will realize that there are ways to beat this very talented fighter. I'm not saying Franklin could have done it but he could have made a much better fight of it had he taken the fight to the ground... why he didn't charge in and hold Silva in a bear hug type of clinch and take him down is something he will have to live with

·
Registered
413 Posts
I’m sure ring rust was a factor but really I don’t think he took enough time off. He probably went about 6 months waiting for that hand to heal, which means he was only had 2 months to really train. If he had trouble cutting weight that would explain part of why he looked so sluggish.

·
Registered
224 Posts
TLB said:
I’m sure ring rust was a factor but really I don’t think he took enough time off. He probably went about 6 months waiting for that hand to heal, which means he was only had 2 months to really train. If he had trouble cutting weight that would explain part of why he looked so sluggish.
Wow, I actually agree with you........dang

·
Registered
413 Posts
mrbalkie said:
Wow, I actually agree with you........dang
Haha, One thing I have learned on these forums is you may be in a 20 post debate with some one and then in a different thread you are debating with them. (PT447)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I also believe his "time off" was a great factor to his defeat. I have even seen those stupid video of Rich and Randy in Iraq, so we can be sure that he isn’t complete obeying that strict meal plan he is usually on. This could be the reason why he was having difficulty cutting weight. Lots of people say that the UFC should have given Rich an easier fight before fighting Silva. I am complete against those comments because Rich is the middleweight Champion. A Champ is a champ. They are supposed to throw strong guys before him. I think he just didn't train defense in the Muay Thai clinch as much as he should have.

One last thing… I feel bad for any of the middleweight contenders… they have to get past Rich before getting a shot at the title

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sherdog said:
One last thing… I feel bad for any of the middleweight contenders… they have to get past Rich before getting a shot at the title
I hope that you are right. Even as much as a fighter Rich is, I'm not sure he'll come back from this one. He was really messed up in the fight against The Crow and he won that one. Now he got destroyed in his next fight. There will be a lot of healing time and with that comes thinking time. It was VERY hard for Beth to watch him like that and I'm not sure she's going to be rooting him on to fight again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.