Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first of all props to Edgar, he fought a good fight and had great boxing. At the same time though, was I the only one that thought it wasn't just a case of a great Edgar but a bad Penn?

One of the things I kept wondering about is how the venue affected things. I mean Abu Dhabi BLOWS in the summer ... it is disgustingly hot and humid. I've you've ever been to that part of the world after april, you'll realize that air conditioning is not a luxury, it's practically a necessity. To actually fight at a full heated pace in an un-cooled environment there, without so much as a fan ... that's really something. Some people adjust better than others.

Add to that the jetlag and sleep adjustment ... and dunno, you guys think that had something to do with Penn's performance? Or was it just that he was unmotivated? Or is Frankie is just the better fighter?

I for one was not overly impressed with Frankie ... yeah he was good, but I think a 100% Penn is much better than the spastic head movement and potshots shown by Frankie.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
Probably, that and I doubt bj was extremely motivated for this fight like he has been for others.

We will see for sure, penn will likely get a rubber match in the states.

·
Homicidal Maniac
6,197 Posts
penn went there early to get used to the country so I dont think that is what affected him, I dont think he was 100% but i dont think it was being over there that was making him that way.

again like you said much props to frankie

I see frankie, Bj Penn 2 being a completely different fight though...and this is not just coming from me (a penn nuthugger) but also many other people

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
It's possible but Edgar had to go through the same thing. I would have to watch the walk out again but I think Penn looked good walking to the ring and he looked great winning the first round. I think it was just better striking on edgars part and bj's conditioning is always questionable. He didint look like he was in great shape and he was a little soft.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
It's possible but Edgar had to go through the same thing. I would have to watch the walk out again but I think Penn looked good walking to the ring and he looked great winning the first round. I think it was just better striking on edgars part and bj's conditioning is always questionable. He didint look like he was in great shape and he was a little soft.
Yeah, that was one of the first things I noticed - although he repeatedly said that he wasn't taking Frankie Edgar lightly ...

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Rogan said before the fight that BJ and his family had been there for a couple weeks for adjustment so that wasn't it. I just think Frankie's head movement and elusiveness was too much for him and got frustrated trying to hit him. Cardio and head movement was the key to this fight imo...

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
Rogan said before the fight that BJ and his family had been there for a couple weeks for adjustment so that wasn't it. I just think Frankie's head movement and elusiveness was too much for him and got frustrated trying to hit him. Cardio and head movement was the key to this fight imo...
EXACTLY. This can not be used as an excuse.

·
Registered
963 Posts
its the last thing i expected but bj got picked apart, simple as that

when i read on wiki that edgar had one i assumed he took bj down and sat on him for 5 rounds but after watching the fight and seeing that he went out and beat bj at his own game (boxing) i got soooo much respect for edgar, im still shocked he won

edit: at the request of who ever negged me i currently have exaclty -21742

·
Takedown, Dominate & Destroy
2,060 Posts
Yeah something was up with Penn and he just never let go in that fight for some reason. Some fo the judges score cards were unbelievable aswell. 2nd fight BJ will be up for though so yeah I can see him demolishing Edgar.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Looked like he had a leg injury and he got tired in the fourth and fifth and he still outstruck Frankie clearly in the first two rounds and really you could make a very strong case he won the third. I wouldn't call it a robbery by any means it was close but I think rematches are needed when the judging is really screwed up like it was in this fight.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Yeah there's no way jet lag accounts for that, and surely the climate wouldn't either. I'm more curious as to why BJ didn't try and take the game to the ground when he couldn't time Edgar's head movement. The strapping on his knee may have something to do with it, I guess we'll never know.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Yeah there's no way jet lag accounts for that, and surely the climate wouldn't either. I'm more curious as to why BJ didn't try and take the game to the ground when he couldn't time Edgar's head movement. The strapping on his knee may have something to do with it, I guess we'll never know.
Pretty sure that was a decoy and it was the other leg that was injured.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It wasnt his leg, It wasnt his cardio, it wasnt swamp gas from venus...edgar went out there and out boxed BJ plain and simple. hopefully he will start gettin a bit of respect, and BJ nut huggers will see he has tough enough comp around him, rather than to move up a weight and get schooled worse. IMO

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I heard Rogan say that Penn had been out there with his family for over 3 weeks to get himself adjusted so I don't think he was unadjusted or jet lagged.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It wasnt his leg, It wasnt his cardio, it wasnt swamp gas from venus...edgar went out there and out boxed BJ plain and simple. hopefully he will start gettin a bit of respect, and BJ nut huggers will see he has tough enough comp around him, rather than to move up a weight and get schooled worse. IMO
EXACTLY bang on i'm a huge bj fan and edgar fought a good fight he was the aggresor for the 5 rounds and stuck to his game plan well

·
Registered
97 Posts
Edgar will always have better cardio than BJ, and i see him winning 9 times out of 10.

Styles make fights. BJ obviously has trouble with fast movement "see GSP fights".

Edgar is fast enough to avoid BJ's slower but stronger jabs, and I think he would easily avoid and stuff BJ's take downs also.

The kid is fast, BJ looked slow and I doubt he can improve on this.

BJ will bounce back, but he doesn't look as invincible as he once was at 155. Edgar has some slick boxing that Rogan was ignoring all night long.

Small quick shots then he moves out of range and to the side, perfect boxing, and BJ's face showed how much he was tagged in the fight. This was a great fight for boxing fans.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts