Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
first congrats to the winners yesterday but how much of a success was it? i mean it was a great card as it had to be for a first time event in another country but it wasn't the great success that UFC 110 was, even though it sold surprisingly low but what it lost in numbers it gained in recognition as the fans where very educated and appreciative of what they where watching also it was the second fastest sellout of a UFC event where there was still a great demand for tickets that they created UFC theatre experiance which was also successful so they brought it back for UFC 111 but on a bigger scale.

now 112 had the star power for a buyrate success but the star power seemed to implode on fight night to which the crowd realized and made what the majority of people where thinking be known.

RENZO/HUGHES
the legend fight between the two, turned into a 2round feeling out process before hughes found a home for the leg kicks and noticed the gas tank of renzo quickly dissolving but still being surprisingly cautious of a somewhat half-cripple with next to zero enegy before finally capatalizing and finishing the gracie.

PENN/EDGAR
the huge upset that nobody thought could happen much like gsp/serra 1, machida/shogun 1 but i don't mean in the way those fights ended but how they where set up verbally by joe rogan who said just before gsp/serra 1 that gsp would rule the div. for a long time and didn't know who could beat him although that has become a reality now but thats not how it went that night as the HUGH underdog quicky blitzed the invincible french-canadian.

along comes machida who just after he defeats previously unbeaten rashad for the LHW belt rogan announces "ladies and gentleman welcome to the machida era" well it turned out to be the machida error bah-dum-tish as another underdog quickly turned a god into a mortal even though he wasn't the official winner many considered him to be.
but maybe machida can regain his godly powers this may

now penn/edgar, just after penn mauls diego rogan annonces "that is the greatest LW in the history of the sport" so here we go it's penn vs edgar to which the latter is another underdog who is expected to fall victim to the rular of hawaii but the new jersey naive shocks the MMA world by outstriking someone who is considered one of the best in MMA.
now something, somewhat ironic happens to penn this night remember TUF 6 and a competitor named andy wang who refused to listen to penns instructions and that was to take it to the ground instead of standing but he chose to stand and got knocked out, so he than cryed his eyes out but sympathy was not met by penn as wang ignored instructions and fell victim to himself now this has since created a term called "stand and wang" which found its way to bj after he ignored his corner when they told him to take it to the ground but he didn't listen and fell victim to himself.
but this fight isn't a failure, only for some bj fans.

SILVA/MAIA
or maybe this fight could be called silva/leites 2.0 as it seemed all too familiar but only on silva's part not maias.
alot of people seem confused by silvas antics but there is nothing to be confused about, the reason for silvas performance as in this fight, the cote fight and leites fight are because of one reason and that is his desire to be like his idols.

alot of people forgot or just don't know that roy jones jr. is one of his idols and that is someone he is trying to emulate, he wants to have those moments that RJJ had where people are like "did you remember when he did that", "that was awesome" and what not, they even talk about what silva wants to do in the countdown to silva/leites and thats "to do what people think are impossible" and "finish fights in new and exciting ways".
the problem with that, is that you have to have more of something to do with it instead of expecting your opponent to do most of the work for you, not everyone is as reckless as forrest when he wants to be and there is people watching who paid for a fight not to see someone dance around like a voodoo man while screaming at his opponent.

but most importantly this is not just another UFC event for the boss man, this is a business venture aswell and if your going to open and expand a new market than you have to give them a reason why that should happen and yesterday anderson didn't really give them a reason especially because it was the main event, people tend to forget what they saw earlier and remember what they saw last.
now it wasn't necessarily a complete failure but it also wasn't the big bang they had with previous endeavors.
also how are they going to do gsp/silva with both fighters coming off widely critised peformance in the MMA community
your thoughts?

·
Registered
319 Posts
As far as a card goes, i felt ripped off and not worth my $50. Thought it was kinda of flat in comparison to some f the other recent cards. Some decent fights but none to go down in the histroy books except for maybe BJ losing his belt!
The Silva fight was a complete debackle imo. I can understand why Dana is pissed, this is a business venture for him in a new territory and he was humiliated in front of his new business partners, to say that it was not a good night for the big would be an understatment.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
It wasn't a failure imo.
Silva's fight left the last impression and perhaps that's why people would think it was a failure. Also Gracie-Hughes was kind of a weak fight, but i was expecting them to fight like they did.
112 showed us an ever improving Munoz, Phil Davis looks like he's on the way up and could be a future contender if he keeps up the good work. DeMarques had a good fight, Dos Anjos also, so all in all it was a decent event.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
It was an alright event I was way more dissapointed with Hughes/Renzo than the main. That was a boring as hell fight atleast I got some entertainment and awesome defense and striking from Silva. He dropped Maia a bunch of times so I don't really see how you can say he was unsuccessful Roy wasn't flatline KOing guys every time he dropped them. If that was a boxing match they would have stopped it before the fourth to protect Maia.

·
Registered
292 Posts
the 3 main fights were failures.

Renzo vs Hughes.....great BJJ vs great Wrestling and it doesnt even hit the ground????

Edgar v Penn....decent but not spectacular

Silva v Meaia....pathetic performance by Silva, absolutelt disgraceful.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
thats what trying is if he did knockout maia he would have succeded and part of the showboating is just showboating but it's also to set traps.
If he was TRYING to imitate him he should've at least TRIED to knock him out. RJJ doesn't just dance. He'll dance and then throw a punch. He'll dance then move out of the way of your strikes and then throw a punch. Anderson did none of that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts