Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've explained the Vitor/Ando saga multiple times on this site but let me do it just one more time as best as someone who's just spilled orange juice all over their keyboard can tell it.

The Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort saga plays out like some screenplay that can only be written by Sherri Shepherd. For anyone that's not familiar with Sherri Shepherd, she's one of the co-hosts on that yenta show people call 'The View'. Her first month on the job, she was asked if the world is flat or round and she said 'I'm too busy feeding my kid to know'. I completely understand. If an asteroid was hurdling towards earth, nothing could come between me and my yogurt with the fruit at the bottom.

On September 25th, Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort was announced for UFC 108. Everyone rejoiced, people celebrated on the streets of Brazil and Dan Henderson shrugged his shoulders and went back to grilling his fish tacos. Anderson Silva then issued a warning along the lines of 'Dude, don't stand with me' and Vitor Belfort essentially said he doesn't have the passion to fight Anderson Silva. Words started to fly and then we found out that the entire fight could be scrapped and days later...the card was in the recycle bin. The Portuguese magazine Mano a Mano (great name) broke the news that Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort was moved to UFC 109.

Everything seemed kosher in the MMA universe until Anderson Silva told Portal das Lutas that due to a recent elbow surgery, the fight between The Phenom was off. Click here to read the entire quote otherwise continue to eat your roommate's leftover Chinese food. The bout was rescheduled for UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi and then Vitor Belfort dropped the news to TATAME that he had to undergo surgery. Demian Maia stepped in and we all remember how that went...a fantastic display of skill and precision (I still think Ando did nothing wrong in that fight).

Prior to Belfort's injury, a face-off was held in Brazil to promote UFC 112 and today, never before seen footage of that staredown has been released. Props to Loretta Hunt for the find.

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2124:my-god-this-anderson-silvavitor-belfort-staredown&catid=36:fighters
For the people who haven't seen this. If it was posted already I'm sorry.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
Whether it was posted earlier and fell too deep, it should have been bumped. I've wanted these two to fight for soooooo long!

Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort is on the shortlist of my dream fights.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Silva's an enormous freak at 185. I guess we'll see how "the great wrestler" Sonnen does against him, as that will probably be some indication of how Silva would fare vs. GSP.
Why would GSP fair better than Sonnen? I don't get it. GSP's striking will mean nill, GSP is smaller than Sonnen and he has less of a wrestling history. If Hendo or Sonnen can't beat Silva what is the point of a smaller less experienced wrestling based fighter giving it a shot?

Shogun
Machida
Lesnar
Carwin
Velasquez

Now those are some fights worth setting up

·
Registered
207 Posts
The size differences is probably because Vitor was just a few weeks out of making a 195 lbs fight with Franklin and Silva was months out of a 205 fight with Forrest.

Vitor was probably 210 and Silva was probably 230 and he's taller.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Nice find! Vitor wasn't scared, but yah didn't look too thrilled to be staring down the champ. A. Silva looked ready to go. Man this will be one explosive fight!

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." - Bruce Banner or was it the Spidy...

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Vitor's stare says a lot about him. Silva leaned in slightly and Vitor had his back to the wall and he didn't even flinch or try to look like more of a badass. That really shows that Vitor is not scared in the slightest of Silva. A lot of guys in the those stares, either look nervous or put up some false bravado and try to look tougher.

Now I really want to see a fight that isn't happening.....damn you.

·
Banned
689 Posts
i think it's just vitors nature but what sticks out for me is how pissed anderson was, he really was not happy about having to fight him

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
i think it's just vitors nature but what sticks out for me is how pissed anderson was, he really was not happy about having to fight him
Vitor is Silva's worst nightmare imo. Sick KO power and faster hands than him. Vitor would have been the first real striker Anderson has ever fought. I don't know if Vitor would have won, but if you ask me I think he has the best chance at MW. On top of that, Vitor doesn't let guys recover, he's the closest thing to Pride Wand out there right now, if he stumbles a guy he swarms, you don't get time to recover. Not to mention the guys that beat Vitor are wrestlers not strikers.

Reactions: CornBall

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
wow

Silva looks really scary in that staredown,
im impressed, normally he has such a nicely look,
but it seems he can really look like a mean mtf when he wants too.
Besides that he looks huge, how can he cut so much weight (from 230 to 185)?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
this (along with Machida/Rua) was the fight that I most looked forward to since it was announced. Still hoping it will happen. I feel Vitor is definitely the one who'd give Anderson his biggest challenge yet in the ufc.

btw I don't think Vitor is scared at all. Seems like (during the 2nd staredown)
he put a bit more distance between him and Silva in order to avoid any 'escalation', lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Vitor's stare says a lot about him. Silva leaned in slightly and Vitor had his back to the wall and he didn't even flinch or try to look like more of a badass. That really shows that Vitor is not scared in the slightest of Silva. A lot of guys in the those stares, either look nervous or put up some false bravado and try to look tougher.

Now I really want to see a fight that isn't happening.....damn you.
agreed.
man i can't wait to see this fight i really hope it happens around the end of year card it is garanteed fireworks. silva does look fkn huge next to vitor in that video :confused05:

·
Banned
689 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.