Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
World Boxing Association heavyweight champion David Haye has been called out by James Toney. Toney, who fights Randy Couture in an Ultimate Fighting Championship match on Aug. 28 in Boston, has said he plans to knock out Couture and then to go after Haye.

But Haye, who is a big UFC fan and has trained in mixed martial arts, laughs off Toney’s threats. He doesn’t believe Toney’s going to be able to fight him after he gets pummeled by Couture, though he has mad respect for Toney’s boxing skill and record.

“James Toney is the purest of the pure at boxing,” Haye said. “He is so brilliant at boxing and his skills are so ingrained in him that he’s been an elite level fighter, in shape or not in shape, his skills alone put him on another level as a boxer.

Couture is a former UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion who is a decorated wrestler. Haye believes Couture will take Toney down quickly and easily and pummel him on the ground.

“Six months of training isn’t going to be enough,” Haye said. “As a UFC fan, I know two or three years wouldn’t be enough. How many times has Toney sprawled in his life? 500? How many leg kicks has he taken in his life? 300? How many Kimura attempts has he defended? 140? Even if he’s done double that amount, he wouldn’t have nearly the experience needed to win a UFC fight.”

Haye said Toney would be best off if he lands his punches early, because if he’s not finished after grappling with Couture on the ground, he’s going to be surprised by how beaten up and heavy his arms feel.

“I know from training in MMA myself that the wrestling aspect ruins your punching power,” Haye said. “After a minute of grappling, your arms, back and shoulders fill with blood and even if you then find space to throw punches, your power is suddenly crap.

“And I hit a lot harder and I’m so much faster than James, and I couldn’t land a punch on fighters when all they wanted to do was take me down to the ground. James is a much more static fighter than I am, and is going to get thrown on his back immediately by Randy. I admire Toney’s spirit and boxing skills. But he’s delusional here.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AjsvxgJY_1jnq_1hlgkaS0mUxLYF?slug=ki-hooksnjabs062210

·
Registered
915 Posts
tancI hope Randy does the business against Toney, and if he gets his hands on him and up against the cage, Toney's toast. I do think that if Randy has trouble closing the distance - quickly - that he has a good chance of getting ko'ed.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
pffffffft. that is about the best breakdown of this fight yet.

“Six months of training isn’t going to be enough,” Haye said. “As a UFC fan, I know two or three years wouldn’t be enough. How many times has Toney sprawled in his life? 500? How many leg kicks has he taken in his life? 300? How many Kimura attempts has he defended? 140? Even if he’s done double that amount, he wouldn’t have nearly the experience needed to win a UFC fight.”
Yup, he's right.

I was never a boxing guy at all, but I like this guy a lot. *cringes at how ignorant I sound*

Isn't it amazing how excited we all are to see if Toney will get the KO though?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah he ain't no gold belt!

Rofl in all seriousness though I'm glad David Haye has an open mind. Also, it's very interesting to hear that he has such a hard time landing a good shot on someone hell bent on taking him down. David Haye is a big name as far as the boxing world goes, although he isn't James Tony, he is a good measuring stick as to what a good boxer can do. This just makes me more excited to see Randy do his thang and dirty box this guy to hell. Then slam his on his ass, hopefully if were lucky he'll break his nose like Gonzaga (I know that was unintentional, but for Tony, the ref might let it slide if he were to say, do it on purpose :p jk). Just seeing that look of helplessness as he realizes that he's in for a bad night, it should be a nice wake up call for him.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Yeah Haye knows what's going on.

He's actually been training MMA for about 5 years and hopes to come over to MMA when he's finished boxing and I for one am looking forward to it.
Was not aware of that. I knew he was a big fan of mma, but i didnt know he had been training like that. Have you got a source for this? Not that i dont believe you, i would just like to have a read about it.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Nice interview.
Haye seems to be a very intelligent man.:thumbsup:
He's right imo, about the amount of time needed in order to transition from boxing to MMA. Six months of training just won't do it imo. If Randy doesn't get high before the fight and starts to think he can box...this should end in the first minute imo.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Lets think of it this way. If Randy could easily take down and sub Mark Coleman within the first round, what the hell is he going to do to James Toney...

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Always like Haye, and like that he gives MMA the respect it deserves. I also look forward to Haye making the move, he is ridiculously quick for a guy of his size. Needs to fight Klitschkos first though not bums like Audley Harrison!

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Was not aware of that. I knew he was a big fan of mma, but i didnt know he had been training like that. Have you got a source for this? Not that i dont believe you, i would just like to have a read about it.
Its the truth. In fact, Hayes first combat sport was kick-boxing believe it or not. He moved into boxing later. I've no idea of the time-scales involved. He has been training in MMA for at least 5 years but probably only the fundamentals I would imagine.

I shall try and dig up an interview or two...

EDIT.

Bingo:
http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=536
and
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/ufc/article1377410.ece

Clearly, Haye is not another James Toney with regards to his potential in MMA.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
The whole Haye vs. Klitschko stuff shows you how f.ucked up Boxing really is atm.

All the money wich is involved there is so ridiculous.. they should just start at zero all over again and build up one organization like the UFC. I know that will never happen, so Boxing is dying as a real Sport!

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
The whole Haye vs. Klitschko stuff shows you how f.ucked up Boxing really is atm.

All the money wich is involved there is so ridiculous.. they should just start at zero all over again and build up one organization like the UFC. I know that will never happen, so Boxing is dying as a real Sport!
Agreed.

Haye vs both the Klits is about the most exciting HW matchups we've had in years... and its nothing but stall stall stall. What the feck?! Dana may annoy me, but god damn he has a point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.