21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WEC 51

Sep. 30, 2010
Venue: 1STBANK Center
Broadcast: Versus

Current card:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Jose Aldo vs. Manny Gamburyan (for featherweight title)
* Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia
* Donald Cerrone vs. Jamie Varner
* Chan Sung Jung vs. George Roop
* Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Mike Brown vs. Cole Province
* Chris Horodecki vs. Ed Ratcliff
* Antonio Banuelos vs. Chad George
* Demetrious Johnson vs. Nick Pace
* Diego Nunes vs. Tyler Toner
* Pablo Garza vs. Tiequan Zhang*
The Karalexis fight had the latest change, he was subbed with Reinhardt.

Following one of the year's most impressive fights, Chan Sung Jung (10-2 MMA, 0-1 WEC) – better known as "The Korean Zombie" – next meets George Roop (10-6-1 MMA, 0-1-1 WEC) in September at WEC 51.

A source close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the fight, first reported by MMAWeekly.com, isn't signed but could be part of the night's un-aired preliminary card.

Although not officially announced, WEC 51 takes place Sept. 30 at the 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, Colo.

The night's main event, including a likely title fight between featherweight champ Jose Aldo and challenger Manny Gamburyan, airs on Versus.

Jung, a former World Victory Road/Sengoku fighter, made his highly anticipated WEC debut in April during WEC 48, which marked the organization's pay-per-view debut. The Jung vs. Leonard Garcia bout was part of the night's pre-PPV special on Spike TV. In a knockdown, drag-out affair, Garcia earned a close split-decision win, though both competitors were rewarded with "Fight of the Night" bonus checks.

Including a unanimous-decision loss to former Sengoku champ Masanori Kanehara in May 2009, Jung now has lost two of his past three fights.

He looks to rebound against Roop, who gets a third shot at a first WEC win. "The Ultimate Fighter 8" cast member and former UFC fighter dropped two weight classes and fought bantamweight Eddie Wineland at WEC 46, where he suffered a unanimous-decision loss. He then met Garcia in a rousing WEC 47 featherweight bout that ended in a split draw.

Roop is now 2-3-1 over his past six fights going back to the TUF 8 Finale.
Link

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
War The Zombie! :D Looking forward to this one a lot. Watched the Zombie vs Garcia fight again the other night, and it was just awesome. I've watched it 4 times now, and it just gets better and better. Chan Sung Jung is easily one of the most entertaining fighters to watch in MMA, every one of his fights I've seen have been awesome. Hope he wins this one convincingly.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I am kind of surprised that he isn't on the main card after the fight that he put on with Leonard Garcia. I am pretty confident that had he won that fight, he would be on the main card here.

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hominick vs Garcia at WEC 51

Another matchup announced for 51:

Fresh off a barnburner with fellow Canadian Yves Jabouin at WEC 49, Mark Hominick (18-8 MMA, 2-2 WEC) takes on another hard-swinging featherweight when he meets Leonard Garcia (14-5-1 MMA, 4-2-1 WEC) on the televised portion of WEC 51.

The match-up was first reported by MMAWeekly.com and confirmed today by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) via sources close to the promotion.

Although not officially announced, WEC 51 takes place Sept. 8 at the 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, Colo., and airs live on Versus.

Garcia is just months removed from a bout considered the heir apparent to 2010 "Fight of the Year" honors. He and "The Korean Zombie," Chang Sung Jung, tangled in an epic slugfest at WEC 48. When the smoke cleared, Garcia won a split decision, though it was an affair in which neither fighter really lost.

The bout more than erased memories of the Texan's previous fight, an unusual split draw with George Roop at WEC 47.

Garcia recently began training for the fight at Jackson's MMA in Albuquerque, N.M., and should have a short commute to the mountains of suburban Denver for WEC 51.

Hominick, meanwhile, appears to have found solid footing in the WEC after disappointing showings against Rani Yahya and Josh Grispi at WEC 28 and WEC 32, respectively. In addition to his victory over Jabouin, the London, Ontario, Canada resident dispatched Bryan Caraway at WEC 46, and prior to that, he submitted Savant Young in the now-defunct Affliction Entertainment.

Hominick and Garcia were supposed to meet several years ago in the now-defunct TKO organization in Canada, where Hominick made his pro debut. Officials, though, never finalized the bout.

WEC 51 represents the promotion's first visit to Colorado, though the UFC visited the state on five different occasions, including the promotion's first two events in November 1993 and March 1994.

The UFC has twice visited the 1STBANK Center, which was previously known as the Broomfield Event Center. "UFC on Versus 1: Vera vs. Jones" and "UFC Fight Night 13: Florian vs. Lauzon" took place in the building.
Link

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i'm sure if he'd of won that fight, he'd be straight path to fight Aldo on this card a la Anderson Silva (one fight then title shot).

major step down in competion though; roop was kind of trash.

·
Banned
820 Posts
The Zombie will pick this win up. Still surprised that this is not on the main card. With that fight he put on he really got his name out there. WAR ZOMBIE!

·
Banned
820 Posts
Glad to see atleast Garcia got a fight on the TV portion. From a marketing stand point I would have showcased both Garcia's and Jung's fights on television.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
i'm sure if he'd of won that fight, he'd be straight path to fight Aldo on this card a la Anderson Silva (one fight then title shot).

major step down in competion though; roop was kind of trash.
White rationalized giving Silva a title shot so early because nobody had ever beaten Leben like Silva did. I think that Aldo would pick apart Jung to be honest. I really don't see one person in the WEC right now that will beat Aldo in any division.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I don't see why they would put him on the undercard he is probably the second or third most known fighter they have right now. Hominick will destroy Garcia pretty quickly so there should be time to show this fight anyways.

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Card keeps looking better everyday:

Former bantamweight king, Miguel Torres (37-3) will return to action after the first back-to-back losses of his career, to face standout wrestler, Charlie Valencia (12-5), who's on a three-fight winning streak, at WEC 51 in Broomfield, Colorado on September 30th. MMA Fighting has the scoop:

After dropping two straight fights, former WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres will look to find his way back into the winning column and ultimately back into title contention when he faces Charlie Valencia at WEC 51, MMA Fighting has learned from sources with knowledge of the situation.

The bout will serve as the co-main event of the evening, sources have confirmed.

Torres lost his bantamweight title in a knockout loss to Brian Bowles last August, his first loss in over six years, but his comeback was spoiled by Joseph Benavidez who bloodied and then choked out the ultra-aggressive Torres in March. Valencia, on the other hand, has rattled off three straight wins against Coty Wheeler, Seth Dikun, and most recently, Akitoshi Tamura.

The rumored WEC 51 card now includes:

Jose Aldo vs. Manny Gamburyan

Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia

Chan Sung Jung vs. George Roop

Mark Hominick vs. Leonard Garcia
Link

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
Hella looking forward to this, love Torres man. 2nd fav at 135... I bet you can't guess who my favorite is.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
No idea LG, Dominick Cruz?

As for this card, it's looking better and better with every fight announced. Aldo vs Gamburyan, Torres vs Valencia, Korean Zombie vs Roop and Hominick vs Garcia, I can't wait. Love me some WEC.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
No idea LG, Dominick Cruz?

As for this card, it's looking better and better with every fight announced. Aldo vs Gamburyan, Torres vs Valencia, Korean Zombie vs Roop and Hominick vs Garcia, I can't wait. Love me some WEC.
BLARG! Dominic "The-soon-to-be-Dominated" Cruz? Yeah, he is my fav. I got nothing against the guy, great fighter, soon to be a retired great fighter when an angry Joseph Benavidez tears straight through him.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
Never count Garcia out, I am excited to see this with Hominick's new motivation for fighting and training though. But you must take into account how Garcia has done against, let's say, Gamburyan, he put him through one hell of a close decision. I don't think anyone will walk through Garcia.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
Zombie by Submission (Exaustion) from Roop punching him in the face too much and Jung not being phased at all.

Sucks that this is on the Prelims, although I am sure it will be easily obtainable on the interwebz.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Does WEC put out a card that doesnt look exciting once again a great card Aldo picking apart Manny Gamburyan love to watch Aldo fight and then the return of one of the fighters to get me into WEC Miquel Torres(a Torres fan after the Maeda fight) and hopes he gets back on track.Hominick and Garcias last fights were great and this should be no different.Really wish the Korean Zombies fight was on the broadcast tho

1 - 20 of 71 Posts