1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WEC Quick Quote: Jose Aldo could be the first MMA fighter to win three titles

by MMAmania.com on Apr 25, 2010 9:10 PM EDT

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/25/1444107/wec-quick-quote-jose-aldo-could-be

"I had heard that he wants to move down a weight class, win that belt and then go to 155 to fight BJ in the UFC. If he can do that, I don't know if he can cut that weight and make that light a weight division, but he'd be the first guy to win three titles in three different weight divisions.... I think it'd be pretty interesting. I love stuff like that," White continued. "I think if a guy proves himself at a certain weight class it's time to move on and try something new and I like that. but it's so hard to do in this sport because there's such a gap between weight classes. You can't be like [Manny] Pacquiao [jumping] seven different weight classes."

-- UFC President Dana White talks to reporters (via MMAFghting.com) about the ridiculous upside of WEC Featherweight Champion, Jose Aldo, after the Brazilian tooled Urijah Faber for basically five rounds in the promotion's first-ever main event on pay-per-view (PPV). He's pretty much cleaned out the division, which makes the jump -- either up or down -- to a different weight class incredibly possible. Aldo is just 23 years old, too, indicating that he will likely continue to improve for at least the next decade if he stays in the fight game. Dominic Cruz, Brian Bowles and Miguel Torres are all great competition in the 135-pound class. But the true test would be against the best lightweights in the world, including WEC Lightweight Champion Ben Henderson, and, of course, the talent-laden 155-pound UFC stable, which is led by division champion Frank Edgar and BJ Penn. Would you prefer to see Aldo stay put, maneuver up and/or down in the WEC, or just cut to the chase and see how he responds to Octagon action?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I think that if he could cut the weight and make it to Bantamweight, he could dominate. At 155 in the WEC I give him a 80 percent chance of winning. At 155 in the UFC, I would give him probably a 70 percent chance. If he ran the table and won all three belts, it would easily move him into the top 5 mma fighters of all time.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
fight BJ??

wouldnt give him a belt. unless white just assuming bj wins the next one.....

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
He would have to clean out the LW division in the WEC before he went to the UFC. I really hope it happens though, Aldo is a fun fighter to watch, and he's really young so we will see this guy a lot in the coming years. I have no doubt that he could make Bowles quit, so he could have a title shot pretty quick at BW. I think he would have more trouble with Ben Henderson.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
He shouldn´t try to go down to 135, he will hurt himself too much doing it, such a cut can take something out of you for a long time.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?
I think that we are WAY ahead of ourselves. Aldo has been dominant for the last 5 years, but he hasn't fought the type of competition that is in the UFC. I think that he needs to fight in the WEC LW division before making the jumo to the UFC's LW division.

I also found it kind of funny that they said that the UFC LW division is led by Edgar and Penn now that Penn lost his title, but I guarantee that if Penn were still the champion, it would only say that it was led by Penn. I just thought that was kind of interesting.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
Does anyone know what Aldo walks around at? He seems like a pretty good sized FW, I think he would have a hard time making 135.
If Urijah can make 135, Aldo can. So I have no doubts. I would love to see this happen. Although he would have his plate full, and this would also create a lot of interim champs because he can't defend 3 titles at once.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If Urijah can make 135, Aldo can. So I have no doubts. I would love to see this happen. Although he would have his plate full, and this would also create a lot of interim champs because he can't defend 3 titles at once.
The moving in weight classes would probably be similar to how it's done in boxing, you just have to relinquish the belt and then move classes. Unless he specifically stated that he wanted to hold them simultaneously, then ignore my previous statement lol.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
The moving in weight classes would probably be similar to how it's done in boxing, you just have to relinquish the belt and then move classes. Unless he specifically stated that he wanted to hold them simultaneously, then ignore my previous statement lol.
He did, but also in boxing, you have a weight class every 3-5 pounds, while in MMA there are much fewer, so it is much more difficult to hold multiple belts.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
That would be a great fight, but I would rather see Aldo vs Varner because of thief striking.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
I would actually love to see Cerrone fight Aldo. I think that he has the best striking in the WEC LW division and Aldo wouldn't be scared to strike with him.
I think that Aldo would tear him apart, I think that Varner would be a better choice because he has really impressed me with his speed recently, so he might get in a few against Aldo. I think Cerrone would stand no chance against Aldo in terms of technical striking.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I think that Aldo would tear him apart, I think that Varner would be a better choice because he has really impressed me with his speed recently, so he might get in a few against Aldo. I think Cerrone would stand no chance against Aldo in terms of technical striking.
I dunno, I still think that when Cerrone and Varner are at 100%, that cerrone is the better striker. I think that Varner's striking benefits from his wrestling but Aldo would be fine off of his back so I think that Aldo would beat Varner as well.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
I dunno, I still think that when Cerrone and Varner are at 100%, that cerrone is the better striker. I think that Varner's striking benefits from his wrestling but Aldo would be fine off of his back so I think that Aldo would beat Varner as well.
True, true. TBH, I see Aldo beating anyone in the WEC atm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts