Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Weight class question/comment.

777 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Slick_Fugitive 
#1 ·
Well, this may be a rookie observation. I've seen a couple of posts talking about how much fighters 'cut' to make weight. My opinion is that a fighter cutting 20 pounds to make weight should be fighting in a different class.

So...why don't the weigh-ins occur the day of the fight? That would prevent fighters from dehydrating etc. They would show up in good shape, and fight at their natural weight.

I say either that or eliminate weight classes all the way al-la the good ole' days.

I'm a strong 155, but that would put me directly in line to fight someone like Sean Sherk who naturally walks around 20 pounds heavier and then cuts so he can fight in a class where he has an advantage. :dunno:

#2 ·
Weight in's are the day before to prevent fighters being too weak when they get into the ring/octagon. By having it the day before they have some time to replace lost fluids. They started doing it in boxing in the 90's after a number of fighters suffered serious injuries due to being water depleted on the day of a fight.

#3 ·
Its just one of those things that the LVAC doesn't regulate. I doubt they will, but you have to remember that talent, training and skill suffer very little against a larger opponent. Imagine a true 155 that could stuff and sprawl Sherks takedowns that had amazing striking ability and KO power. He could be in a bit of trouble even though he's 20lbs heavier.

#4 ·
Yea, that makes some sense I guess. I would think that the advantage would be to show up healthy and hydrated, at your natural weight, rather than try to make a lighter than natural weight andshow up all weak and dehydrated.

My two cents, but why even have weight classes if they are nothing more than a VERY loose approximation of size? MMA already has broad weight catagories. For example: Welterweight is supposed to be 155-170. Realistically it's 169-190 due to the weight cutting. A fighter showing up at 157 is screwed!

#5 ·
MickRath...also a good point. Skill and training will trump most all. Obviously strength and size do matter, especially when you're talking about the top 1% of talent etc.

Not to start getting into the whole roid thing (I'm totally against it) but if you're a talented fighter, just looking for that edge, it looks to me like someone my size (155+) would be tempted to pack on 10 or 15lbs of muscle, and then simply dehydrate that much for the weigh in at lightweight. Anyone think it would make a difference if fighters were free to train and fight at their natural weight without losing a significant tactical advantage?

#6 ·
frumby said:
Well, this may be a rookie observation. I've seen a couple of posts talking about how much fighters 'cut' to make weight. My opinion is that a fighter cutting 20 pounds to make weight should be fighting in a different class.

So...why don't the weigh-ins occur the day of the fight? That would prevent fighters from dehydrating etc. They would show up in good shape, and fight at their natural weight.

I say either that or eliminate weight classes all the way al-la the good ole' days.

I'm a strong 155, but that would put me directly in line to fight someone like Sean Sherk who naturally walks around 20 pounds heavier and then cuts so he can fight in a class where he has an advantage. :dunno:
I don't think they will change this anytime soon. Just hope they will create a 135lb weight class for you.

#7 ·
Alfromsleep said:
Weight in's are the day before to prevent fighters being too weak when they get into the ring/octagon. By having it the day before they have some time to replace lost fluids. They started doing it in boxing in the 90's after a number of fighters suffered serious injuries due to being water depleted on the day of a fight.

The point is, if no one cut, and just fought at thier natural wieght, there would be no problems and fights would be more fair

#8 ·
I don't think they will change this anytime soon. Just hope they will create a 135lb weight class for you.

Hehe....Since I'm 32 and just started training, and since my carreer depends on me being healthy in all ways, I don't have to worry about that!! You're right...probably never will change. Just wondering if anyone felt the same way about that!

#9 ·
My question is, what stops alot of you all from getting into the gym, dieting proper and gaining more muscle mass/weight?

Alot of these fighters forgo alot of things they like to do in life, read sean sherks article in Ultimate Grappler or Tapout Magazine, he talks about about his dieting and the things he wish's he could do but gives it up for the sport.

I personally don't care about cutting weight, i don't have to cut much i walk around about 168/165 so cutting 13/10 pounds is really easy for me and i can do it (will be doing it tomorrow afternoon for my fight) in about 2 1/2- 3 hours or so.

The best way i can put it guys, is sometimes its not how other people play the game, but what you do to level the playing fields that changes the way you fight. IE- If you feel that strength and weight affects fighting more then some of your skills, then go train weights. No one enforce's a fighters decision on what to train, guys like Sherk/Franklin/Hughes and others train there weight class and strength conditioning harder then others.

I've always liked the saying "To beat the best, you have to train harder then the best", hell i can't do that thats why i am not going pro.....yet atleast ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.