Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/7/16/1572619/jake-shields-officially-signs-with

It's official. According to Graciefighter.com, the UFC has signed the former Strikeforce Middleweight Champion, Jake Shields (25-4-1) to a contract. They also announced that the #3 ranked middleweight will drop back down to join the UFC welterweight shark tank:

Jake Shields will be debuting at the 170lbs weight division in the UFC. After careful consideration and consulting with UFC representatives it was determined Jake would be finally going back to his original fighting weight.

Jake's opponent is one of the UFC's top contenders and will be announced shortly.

While I would've loved to see him coach on TUF and get a title shot against Georges St. Pierre, his entry to the 170 lb division could still forge a ton of interesting match-ups against the UFC's top contenders. If I had to guess though, my money would be on him debuting against the #7 ranked, Martin Kampmann.

·
Takedown, Dominate & Destroy
2,060 Posts
HOORAY NOW LET'S HOPE HE STAYS AT WELTERWEIGHT SO HE DOESNT MAKE A FOOL OF HIMSELF!

I wouldnt mind seeing him against Kampmann though, that could be a really fun fight. Kampmann could pick up the win if he plays the stand up right though.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Wonder why they wouldn't let him fight at 185. If he loses then he has an out to jump down to 170. However if he doesn't fare well in 170lbs then what...

How do you think a Jon Fitch match up would be like...lolz.

- Paulo Thiago
- Mike Swick
- Nate Diaz
- Diego Sanchez
- Chris Lytle

Really can't think of anyone else that would make for an exciting matchup.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
It's about time they signed it. I want him to go againstttttt...........................................

Dan Hardy. I want Dan Hardy to knock him out in England. It would give us a chance to a) see how Hardy has improved at grappling, b) see how Sheilds performance matches up against GSP's.

But, yeah, article says Kampmann and Hardy is already up against Condit :(

If this fight between Kampmann and Shields happens, I will be rooting SO hard for the Hitman, but Shields has taken down, controlled, and submitted some pretttttty good fighters.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'd love to see the contract terms. Shields and his people seem like the worst negotiators ever. They preemptively burned Strikeforce, leaving the UFC free to offer whatever they felt like.

Possibly Dana White said:
You don't like the deal Jake? Where the ******* **** else you gonna go? You wanna be a ******* fighter?

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
This is good news! I thought that he would go back down to WW when he got to the UFC. I thought that he went to MW because the talent pool in Strikeforce was bigger there and it allowed Diaz to get the WW title.

·
Registered
769 Posts
He should take on the winner of Alves / Fitch. It would be perfect timing because he would have ~3 months for the hype machine to build him up before Alves/Fitch destroy him.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.