Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always trying to think of something new to talk about, I got curious today. Over the years, everyone's top five fighters change fromt time to time. It doesn't matter who you are, or what they've done... for one reason or another I would be willing to bet most poeple would share a differnt top five now, then would have five years ago. So now is the time to scream it from the roof tops. Be honest. I'm going with five years ago, because it's a good round number, and it's also right when the first Ultimate Fighter wrapped up, which is of course when a lot of new fans got on board. So which fighters did you used to get the most excited about seeing, who did you cheer the loudest for?

I'll get it started.
To the best of my memory.
1. Chris Leben
2. Stephan Bonnar
3. Rich Franklin
4. Anderson Silva
5. Matt Hughes

*While all of those fighters still have a special place with me, you'll notice only one name still stands in my top five.

1. Anderson Silva
2. Lyoto Machida
3. Junior Dos Santos
4. Frank Mir
5. Forrest Griffin

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I can't remember my top five, but I know for the last few years my top three were:
1. BJ Penn.
2. Karo Parisyan
3. Takanori Gomi

Nowadays, BJ still (and always will) sits atop my list, but the other two have dropped off. I can't really get excited about Karo anymore because he doesn't actually show up for his fights, and the sport has really flown past Gomi.

My new top three probably looks something like this:
1. BJ Penn
2. Jon "Bones" Jones
3. ...Damn, I can't even think of three.

I get more excited about the fights than the individual fighters. Same with music: I like songs, not bands.

·
Banned
820 Posts
I used to be behind Big Nog and Aleks, but now I am a bigger fan of people like Lyoto, and Cain.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Old List
1.Hidehiko Yoshida
2.BJ
3.Rampage
4.CroCop
5.Hayato Sakurai

New List
1.Anderson Silva
2.Rampage
3.Hayato Sakurai
4-6. 3 way tie with Jose Aldo, Sexyama, and BJ

Yoshida fell off because he is retired and wasn't doing much/being in no condition to fight over the past 2 years. Rampage got better and my rooting interest for Mach has increased with his skills diminishing some with age so they moved up. CroCop decided he doesn't need to throw kicks anymore and new exciting fighters emerged so he is gone.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I HAVE BEEN A FRANK MIR FAN SINCE DAY ONE!!

Nah JK only since he he submitted Brock Lesnar. It's funny I even remember calling him a ***** when he got Tank Abbott because he "didn't fight like a man!".

Going into UFC 97 I was about as anti Shogun as possible. Where is Jdun these days? I think I owe him an apology lol.

·
Registered
750 Posts
1. Machida
2. Junior Dos Santos
3. Fedor
4. Shogun
5. Mirko Cro Cop

My fav fighter wont ever change, believe it.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
I used to love Tito back in the day but now I cant stand him.

also used to like-
Rampage - for life!
Crocop - like him but he's fallen off big time!
Vitor - dont care for him anymore
Wandy - dont like him anymore(right before the 2nd fight with rampage, he talked too much shit)
GSP - for some reason i dont like him anymore

fighters I now like

Chuck (not sure why..lol I guess I feel sorry for him)
Jon Jones- hello?
Overeem - exciting to watch
Andy - hello?
Jardine - kinda like him. mostly out of pity though

I know I broke the rules but oh well :)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I actually was a huge Chael Sonnen fan up until recently. I was half happy for him when he "beat" Filho, even though the fight was extremely pathetic. And I was rooting for him in all his UFC fights except against my boy Nate. I didn't hate him for beating Nate even though I was disappointed. But all his ridiculous crap talking/coat-tail riding against Silva, his ridiculous running for Republican seat (like another fighter I used to be a major nut-hugger for, ahem), and the virus of putrid, sherdog-like trolls he's spawned on the forum have turned me in to a bon-a-fide Chael Sonnen hater.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I started watching in 2006 and my favourites were:

1. Georges St-Pierre
2. Tito Ortiz
3. Michael Bisping
4. Sean Sherk
5. Diego Sanchez

My favourites now are:

1. Georges St-Pierre
2. Brock Lesnar
3. Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua
4. Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson
5. Tito Ortiz

Bisping just talks too much now, I still like Sherk but he's not in my top 5. Same with Diego.

·
Gone Fishing
4,534 Posts
I used to like Bisping because I hated Hammill. Now I hate them both.
I used to hate Ortiz. Now I really hate him.
I used to like GSP, not so much now.
I used to like Wes Sims for the stomping he gave Murr. Now I really like him.
Used to like Brock Lesnar. Now I love him:praise01:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Used to like
2007-ish
1.Anderson
2.GSP
3.Page
4.Matt Hughes
5.Iceman

Now like/still like
Currently:
1.Anderson
2.Shane
3.Matt Hughes
4.Iceman
5.Randy

Guys i wish would remember how to fight
1.GSP

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I started watching in 2006 and my favourites were:

1. Georges St-Pierre
2. Tito Ortiz
3. Michael Bisping
4. Sean Sherk
5. Diego Sanchez

My favourites now are:

1. Georges St-Pierre
2. Brock Lesnar
3. Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua
4. Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson
5. Tito Ortiz

Bisping just talks too much now, I still like Sherk but he's not in my top 5. Same with Diego.
I have just realised that disliking Bisping because he talks too much and continuing to like Tito is quite hypocritical but Tito has been the champ and is a legend in the sport. Bisping, not so much.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I used to dislike Rashad Evans and BJ Penn, but now I've grown to like them both. I like Rashad more than BJ, mainly because of Rashad's exposure on MMA Live. He comes across as well-spoken, educated on the sport and just seems like a cool guy. I'm torn between him and 'Page for the fight on Saturday though, as I do like both guys a lot. I'm hoping neither gets KTFO, and we see a 3 round war resulting in a close decision with no real loser.

I also used to like Lyoto Machida, but have gone off him quite a lot of late, and really enjoyed seeing him get KTFO by Shogun. Not really sure why I started to dislike him, as he's not really done anything. I think it's more to do with the way some of his fans have acted that has put me off him. Still respect his skills as a fighter, but I'd be more than happy if he never regained the LHW title.

Another one I have grown to like may be a strange one, but it's DaMarques Johnson. I really disliked him on TUF, but since the show he's really impressed me. His Submission win over Edgar Garcia was seriously impressive and then to come from behind against Blackburn to pull out the win in Abu Dhabi was equally as impressive. He was hugely hyped on the TUF show and was pinpointed as the man who was going to win the show, but never really did anything of note. Since the show it's been completely different, and he looks like a fighter with real potential. Wouldn't consider myself a fan of his yet, but another win and I could be on the bandwagon.

Reactions: xRoxaz

·
Legalize It
422 Posts
im trying to remember back to when i first started watching UFC. my favorite fighters were Arlovski, Franklin, (oh boy)Tim Sylvia, Tito ortiz, and Randy couture im kinda ashamed of ortiz and sylvia knowing now what i didnt know then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.