Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not being sarcastic in any way but I am wondering what Dana has done that is so amazing for MMA? I have been reading a lot of posts about Dana when he talks a bunch of crap about Fedor and other fighters or organizations, and the typical response is always something along the lines of, "Dana can say what ever he wants because hes done so much for MMA."

First of all, from my understanding, Dana was given a company by his billionaire friends which lets face it, must have been pretty damn nice. I also hear a lot of people saying he was the one who got the TUF reality show on spike tv, however I heard that he didn't even want to do it originally, and it was the other members of his marketing team who convinced him to do it. And when it succeeded he sort of took the credit.

So I really don't know, is the MMA or the UFC where it is today because of Dana? The Fertitta brothers, or the amazing athletes themselves?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Hard to know what the specifics of what he has done and still does from day to day, but he has been the face of the UFC since the Fertitas took over, he has been the guy on tv defending this sport and trying to get it sanctioned in different states for a long time, he is the president of the company that basically saved mma. Where were the UFC and mma in general before Dana White came along? They were pretty much dead.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Dana convince the Fettitta's to buy the UFC when they let him run it he originally ran it 30-40 million in debt at which point the Fertitta's told him they needed out so Dana found somebody willing to pay 2 million for it he did the introductions and left feeling like a beaten man who had lost his freinds millions of dollars, that night they called him said they want to make a run of it, from then forward Dana would work till around 1:30 in the morning and be back at before 5, he brokered the deal to get TUF on Spike although they actually paid for the first season, and while Dana thought up TUF the show that aired was not the way Dana immagined it, Dana wanted The champion and one team in one house training and living together and the challenger and his team in another, it was the shows producer that molded it into the show that aired (the fighters in one house no TV, magazines, computers, phone etc). Dana also saved the show from falling apart when as soon as filming began problems arouse based on the fact the fighters had learnt that the contender (boxing TUF like show) was paying its fighters $25,000 a fight, the TUF guys decided they wanted money, when the Fertitta's phoned Dana about it he showed up and told them they were not getting a dime and if they wanted to be a f***ing fighter, fight other wise get the f*** out. Dana has overlooked everything from marketing, to match making to signing talent to the acquisition of Pride, everything from the time the UFC and MMA in north america was bleeding money to it becoming what it is today, the company with him at the helm is pretty much soley responsible for giving anybody making money in MMA today that opportunity, Yes Dana has done alot for the sport.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Dana convince the Fettitta's to buy the UFC when they let him run it he originally ran it 30-40 million in debt at which point the Fertitta's told him they needed out so Dana found somebody willing to pay 2 million for it he did the introductions and left feeling like a beaten man who had lost his freinds millions of dollars, that night they called him said they want to make a run of it, from then forward Dana would work till around 1:30 in the morning and be back at before 5, he brokered the deal to get TUF on Spike although they actually paid for the first season, and while Dana thought up TUF the show that aired was not the way Dana immagined it, Dana wanted The champion and one team in one house training and living together and the challenger and his team in another, it was the shows producer that molded it into the show that aired (the fighters in one house no TV, magazines, computers, phone etc). Dana also saved the show from falling apart when as soon as filming began problems arouse based on the fact the fighters had learnt that the contender (boxing TUF like show) was paying its fighters $25,000 a fight, the TUF guys decided they wanted money, when the Fertitta's phoned Dana about it he showed up and told them they were not getting a dime and if they wanted to be a f***ing fighter, fight other wise get the f*** out. Dana has overlooked everything from marketing, to match making to signing talent to the acquisition of Pride, everything from the time the UFC and MMA in north america was bleeding money to it becoming what it is today, the company with him at the helm is pretty much soley responsible for giving anybody making money in MMA today that opportunity, Yes Dana has done alot for the sport.
That's all (he asks sarcastically)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have not fact checked what you have said but based upon what you have wrote, I don't see how Mr. White has been so crucial for the sport. How is taking advantage of fighters and telling them to go F themselves if they want money beneficial to the sport?

Neither one of us could truly say where mixed martial arts would be today without UFC, but we certainly can't claim it would not exist at all or to this extent either as it is evident that long before UFC, organizations like Strikeforce did exist. Maybe Mr. White was influential in the sport's popularity in north America; he certainly has done a lot for the Fertittas, but from your explanation I just can not see how Mr. White has “done alot” for the sport. Further more how is closing doors and bad mouthing other organization and fighters beneficial for the sport? If anything it was the athletes and pioneers such as Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock and Bas Rutten who have been influential in the sport's popularity.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
I have not fact checked what you have said but based upon what you have wrote, I don't see how Mr. White has been so crucial for the sport. How is taking advantage of fighters and telling them to go F themselves if they want money beneficial to the sport?

Neither one of us could truly say where mixed martial arts would be today without UFC, but we certainly can't claim it would not exist at all or to this extent either as it is evident that long before UFC, organizations like Strikeforce did exist. Maybe Mr. White was influential in the sport's popularity in north America; he certainly has done a lot for the Fertittas, but from your explanation I just can not see how Mr. White has “done alot” for the sport. Further more how is closing doors and bad mouthing other organization and fighters beneficial for the sport? If anything it was the athletes and pioneers such as Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock and Bas Rutten who have been influential in the sport's popularity.
because if dana hadnt been around, TUF wouldnt of happened and if TUF never happen then its very likely that MMA wouldnt as big as it is today.

Infact if Dana wasnt in MMA its very likely the UFC wouldnt even exist and if UFC wasnt here, its very likely MMA wouldnt even be in north america at all.

to simply put it with out Dana you wouldnt even know what MMA is.

So anyone who doesnt appricate what Dana has done for the sport are absolute idiots IMO

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got it:thumb02: lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
because if dana hadnt been around, TUF wouldnt of happened and if TUF never happen then its very likely that MMA wouldnt as big as it is today.

Infact if Dana wasnt in MMA its very likely the UFC wouldnt even exist and if UFC wasnt here, its very likely MMA wouldnt even be in north america at all.

to simply put it with out Dana you wouldnt even know what MMA is.

So anyone who doesnt appricate what Dana has done for the sport are absolute idiots IMO
There is no arguing with people like you. This is exactly the reason why I don't bother responding to these forums. Fact is neither you, me or anyone else for that matter can say where MMA would be without UFC. Its as if I would claim: if Microsoft didn't exist, then personal computers would not exist and therefore we wouldn't have computers at all. You just can't predict the course of history. But fact is based upon Mr. White's action, I just can't see how anyone can claim he is to be greatly appreciated for the sport. Has he contributed to the sport? Yes. But has hes actions also been detrimental to the sport? Definitely yes!

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
There is no arguing with people like you. This is exactly the reason why I don't bother responding to these forums. Fact is neither you, me or anyone else for that matter can say where MMA would be without UFC. Its as if I would claim: if Microsoft didn't exist, then personal computers would not exist and therefore we wouldn't have computers at all. You just can't predict the course of history. But fact is based upon Mr. White's action, I just can't see how anyone can claim he is to be greatly appreciated for the sport. Has he contributed to the sport? Yes. But has hes actions also been detrimental to the sport? Definitely yes!
what do you mean "you people"?

It doesnt matter if we dont know where MMA would be with out Dana and that not what i was saying. the 'fact' is MMA is as big as it is today because of Dana(with the backing of the fertittas). Sure some one else could of done the same thing as dana hadnt he been around, but they didnt, Dana did, so he deserves majority of the credit for where MMA is today, Fact.

·
Registered
11 Posts
what do you mean "you people"?

It doesnt matter if we dont know where MMA would be with out Dana and that not what i was saying. the 'fact' is MMA is as big as it is today because of Dana(with the backing of the fertittas). Sure some one else could of done the same thing as dana hadnt he been around, but they didnt, Dana did, so he deserves majority of the credit for where MMA is today, Fact.
By “people like you” I mean people who make far fetched claims and then call it “fact”. Fact is, other organization such as Strikeforce, Pancrase, Pride, IVC, WVC and many others also existed and had UFC gone the way of the dodo, chances are one of the organization listed or possibly others would have prevailed. It is also fact that it was due to the dedication of the fighters and many others that the sport gained popularity. People didn't tune in to watch Dana White talk trash, they tuned in to watch Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz go at each others throats.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
By “people like you” I mean people who make far fetched claims and then call it “fact”. Fact is, other organization such as Strikeforce, Pancrase, Pride, IVC, WVC and many others also existed and had UFC gone the way of the dodo, chances are one of the organization listed or possibly others would have prevailed. It is also fact that it was due to the dedication of the fighters and many others that the sport gained popularity. People didn't tune in to watch Dana White talk trash, they tuned in to watch Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz go at each others throats.
yeah but they could only tune in to see those fighters because of dana white, fact. and before dana took over the UFC, MMA was very grim and on the verge of being banned in America altogether, which is also a fact. so its more likely that MMA wouldnt of existed in america.

·
Po Pimpin
795 Posts
Dana saw $ in a better organized dying show and turned it into a brand in the states.. He jus looked over seas saw what success Pride was having and built a brand here froma show that people already knew and had a rep . That is all.. Pride was selling out the Toykio Dome when Dana was chasing off Tito .Had Dana and the mob never bought the ufc mma would have still came to the states.. In the form of Pride or any other smaller org .. Hell even k-1 ..

·
Po Pimpin
795 Posts
yeah but they could only tune in to see those fighters because of dana white, fact. and before dana took over the UFC, MMA was very grim and on the verge of being banned in America altogether, which is also a fact. so its more likely that MMA wouldnt of existed in america.
I beg to differ..

·
Registered
967 Posts
You're arguments are full of "what ifs?" FACT is that Dana has contributed largely to the growth of the UFC and MMA in general, mainly in NA. You can't say Dana doesn't deserve credit for something just because someone else MIGHT have done the same thing had he not done it himself. You don't dismiss the inventor of the light-bulb just because someone else was going to invent it anyway do you?

So can we say that MMA would not be as big today if it weren't for Dana White? I think so but its arguable. Can we credit Dana for helping make MMA what it is today? Yes, but obviously he didn't do it all by himself. But, rom reading Toxic's post you can see that he may have been vital to its success.

If Dana really cared about MMA he would make Fedor and Brock happen.
Yeah Dana obviously hates MMA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You're arguments are full of "what ifs?" FACT is that Dana has contributed largely to the growth of the UFC and MMA in general, mainly in NA. You can't say Dana doesn't deserve credit for something just because someone else MIGHT have done the same thing had he not done it himself. You don't dismiss the inventor of the light-bulb just because someone else was going to invent it anyway do you?

So can we say that MMA would not be as big today if it weren't for Dana White? I think so but its arguable. Can we credit Dana for helping make MMA what it is today? Yes, but obviously he didn't do it all by himself. But, rom reading Toxic's post you can see that he may have been vital to its success.

Yeah Dana obviously hates MMA.
If you had read my other posts you would realize that I was not arguing whether or not Dana White has made contributions; my argument is that he does not deserve credit to the extent that he is given a get out of a jail card from fans no matter what. Fact is no matter how much he may have contributed, derogatory comments and poor appreciation towards fighters hurt the sport more. And please don't compare the creator of the “light bulb” to Dana white; last time I checked, neither martial arts nor MMA were invented by Dana White.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you had read my other posts you would realize that I was not arguing whether or not Dana White has made contributions; my argument is that he does not deserve credit to the extent that he is given a get out of a jail card from fans no matter what. Fact is no matter how much he may have contributed, derogatory comments and poor appreciation towards fighters hurt the sport more. And please don't compare the creator of the “light bulb” to Dana white; last time I checked, neither martial arts nor MMA were invented by Dana White.
I didn't say that now did I? I was obviously making the comparison to promote the idea of giving credit where credit is due.

I agree that Dana doesn't deserve a "get out of jail card" but I fail to see how Dana is hurting Mixed Martial Arts. I concede that the whole affair with Jon Fitch and AKA was pretty absurd but I don't recall people siding with Dana and saying "Dana can do no wrong." I remember outrage amongst fans, at least on these forums. Not sure where you've gotten the idea that there's all of these fans who believe Dana deserves immunity for all of his mistakes.

Fact is no matter how much he may have contributed, derogatory comments and poor appreciation towards fighters hurt the sport more.
Thats a fact eh? I think you're blowing "derogatory comments" completely out of proportion here. Dana is a human being and is completely entitled to having his own opinion of people. If someone doesn't want to sign with the UFC and Dana says something negative about them in the press I fail to see how that leaves MMA reeling and somehow trumps all of the good that Dana has done for the sport. And I don't believe Dana has a poor appreciation of the fighters in the sport. He runs the UFC like a business, which is crucial to its success and partially to the huge success of MMA in general. Thats the reason the UFC is so successful and most of the major competition ends up going under.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts