Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me all this event proved was that Strikeforce confirmed their amateuristic methods of match making. Before the fight there was alot of questions asked about "does Rogers deserve this shot", the answer is quite clearly no. Overeem didn't have to get out of second gear to put a somewhat out of shape looking Rogers away. For all his talk of this being his moment and what his life has lead up to he showed little heart at all.

Yes i respect that Overeem probably packs alot of power with his punches, but to curl up in a ball and call is a night was lame and he could have done so much more to keep the fight going. So am I right about Rogers or is my opinion off

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
what did it prove? many things.

1. I shouldn't bet on mma.
2. Randelman is still the biggest wasted potential in mma.
3. The gracies aren't dead yet.
4. jacare is a bad ass.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I thought it proved that SF know how to put on a great event, I thought it showed they have some talented fighters at the heavier weights and possibly the best P4P striker in MMA, that Elbows on the ground dont really add much to the sport other than unnecessary blood and cuts.

Also showed that's fights are more active and enjoyable when you have great refereeing stomping out LnP and inactive clinches up against the cage, hay but as long as Joe Rogan keeps telling everyone that LnP and unachieved clinching is good to watch and an excitable aspect of the sport then all is good right? (been sarcastic btw)

Let me think which would I sooner watch fighters fighting or laying around on the floor pinning each other down or pinning each other up against the cage and neutralising the fight and successful protecting themselves from having to fight the other fighter?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the BJJ master and expert that Jacare is, he did an aweful lot of takedowns and LNP which sort of made that fight tail off a bit towards the end no?

But i'd agree it was a good event I just was asking if you thought the match-up was poor or not, and I didn't actually notice that much difference in refereeing.

·
Banned
820 Posts
We saw the emergence of a Gracie Monster. I mean 6'4 205'lbs with that 79 inch reach. We saw that Kevin Randelman is still one dimensioot sub anyone. We saw Jacare not sub anyone. We saw Arvloski get his third loss in a row. Raising questions what does he do now? He saw Silva give his best Silva impersanation, and we saw a one dimensional HW get outclassed by The Demolition Man. Honestly I enjoyed the night. Also the no elbows rule might have saved Rogers life. That fight would have ended much sooner if they were allowed.

Reactions: BobbyCooper

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
We saw Rafael Feijao remind people that they better not doubt him.

·
Great Googly Moogly!
1,407 Posts
It proved that while Strikeforce can put on a really good card of fights, they have some serious front office issues. The lack of promotion for the event, the matchmaking (it terms of logic), and the presentation were all things to question.

Mauro is the only person on the broadcast team worth listening to. THAT is a scary thing, when your other broadcasters are either more annoying or more off-putting that Mauro Ranallo. All of the interviews were horribly uncomfortable and there was dead air sprinkled all about the show.

At least they didn't ram those horrible dancers down our throats between rounds/fights.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Good fights, horrible broadcast teams. What the hell is with Scott Coker saying that Overeem/Fedor might not happen after Fedor pwns Werdum? That would be complete bullshit if it plays out that way.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Proved that the people that think the top HWs of SF could hang with the tops of the UFC are terribly wrong. I've heard people talk how Rogers was a top 5 HW, give me a break. SF heavyweights have proven nothing in terms of who they have beat (besides Fedor). Rogers isn't even top 10. AA has always been good and bad. He loses to most of the top competition. He is an overrated fighter and people just love his boxing for some reason. Silva is solid but who has he beat? AA and a bunch of nobody's? Overeem...name some of his wins.. Rogers was his best MMA win in years. Pretty sad.

I would only put Fedor in the top 5. AA, Silva, and Rogers are not top 10 HWs. Overeem would lose to teh top wrestlers of the division. Werdum is borderline top 10. SF really has crap fighters. Hendo has been beat up by a guy who is leaving the organization. Rogers coming off a loss is getting a title shot vs. a guy who hasn't even defended his belt in years. And all 4 or 5 of these guys will just rotate around and fight eachother. I'm not a fan of the promotion so I am bias, but I feel I have legit reasons to not be a fan.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Proved that the people that think the top HWs of SF could hang with the tops of the UFC are terribly wrong. I've heard people talk how Rogers was a top 5 HW, give me a break. SF heavyweights have proven nothing in terms of who they have beat (besides Fedor). Rogers isn't even top 10. AA has always been good and bad. He loses to most of the top competition. He is an overrated fighter and people just love his boxing for some reason. Silva is solid but who has he beat? AA and a bunch of nobody's? Overeem...name some of his wins.. Rogers was his best MMA win in years. Pretty sad.

I would only put Fedor in the top 5. AA, Silva, and Rogers are not top 10 HWs. Overeem would lose to teh top wrestlers of the division. Werdum is borderline top 10. SF really has crap fighters. Hendo has been beat up by a guy who is leaving the organization. Rogers coming off a loss is getting a title shot vs. a guy who hasn't even defended his belt in years. And all 4 or 5 of these guys will just rotate around and fight eachother. I'm not a fan of the promotion so I am bias, but I feel I have legit reasons to not be a fan.
wow you really sum up everything I dislike about the UFC and the disrespected they have spread for any fighter outside the UFC or any other organisation.

For starters I could not disagree with your post more you make no valid points about the level of fighters in the SF HW division against the UFC HW division what so ever, nothing based on fighting skill or technique, all you can see is what Dana White and the UFC hype machine have infected you with the belief that no fighter outside the UFC is worthy of been considered as good as there fighters, which is very sad, makes me wonder if you are a MMA fan or just a UFC fan, even though I already know the answer to that one.

Seriously if you was to take JDS and Cain out of the UFC HW division I would have no interest in the division what so ever.

as for could the top boys in the SF division hang with the top boys in the UFC, Randy Couture a natural LHW fighter in his old age way past his athletic peak took the title at the UFC ffs, that to me just sums up how bad that division was, do you honesty believe he would of been able to take the title away from Overeem at SF, what's changed since then, Lesnar, JDS and Cain, and I seriously doubt any of the could take Overeems title or get past Fedor, so I would argue that the UFC top HW's could not cut it at Strikeforce.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
wow you really sum up everything I dislike about the UFC and the disrespected they have spread for any fighter outside the UFC or any other organisation.

For starters I could not disagree with your post more you make no valid points about the level of fighters in the SF HW division against the UFC HW division what so ever, nothing based on fighting skill or technique, all you can see is what Dana White and the UFC hype machine have infected you with the belief that no fighter outside the UFC is worthy of been considered as good as there fighters, which is very sad, makes me wonder if you are a MMA fan or just a UFC fan, even though I already know the answer to that one.

Seriously if you was to take JDS and Cain out of the UFC HW division I would have no interest in the division what so ever.

as for could the top boys in the SF division hang with the top boys in the UFC, Randy Couture a natural LHW fighter in his old age way past his athletic peak took the title at the UFC ffs, that to me just sums up how bad that division was, do you honesty believe he would of been able to take the title away from Overeem at SF, what's changed since then, Lesnar, JDS and Cain, and I seriously doubt any of the could take Overeems title or get past Fedor, so I would argue that the UFC top HW's could not cut it at Strikeforce.
You sir seem to be the one who comes across as not a true fan. You decided to compare Overeem vs the UFC's Heavyweight division 3 years ago when even Dana admits it was very very weak, and the only reason Couture decided to come back and fight HW was cause he thought it was weak. Instead of people like the guy above being taken by the "UFC hype" its more apparent you just like to jump on the bandwagon that slates UFC. There is a reason UFC is the biggest org and that is it contains the best fighters. The UFC HW division at the moment is really good, both in quality and quantity. I feel the top 4/5 fighters in the division could beat the other on his day.

Fedor is up there for sure he'd likely come out on top against some of the UFC's best. But fighters like Rogers, who has one notable win and got a title shot directly after a loss are the sort of fighters that would get nowhere in the UFC. Alistair Overeem, yes everyone can see his potential, great striking and solid ground game. But you look at his resume and all the greats that he has fought are the losses on his record. Till he starts fighting real top level fighters - ala Fedor - then its hard to say how good he'd be in the UFC.

Instead of slating others for doubting the UFC, you should stop sucking on the weaker orgs balls

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
There is a reason UFC is the biggest org and that is it contains the best fighters
no see thats where you are wrong, the reason they are the biggest org would be because of TUF, in fact the UFC would of gone under years ago if not for TUF, but they used there high reallity TV coverage to successfully marketed and lead everyone to believe what you said.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no see thats where you are wrong, the reason they are the biggest org would be because of TUF, in fact the UFC would of gone under years ago if not for TUF, but they used there high reallity TV coverage to successfully marketed and lead everyone to believe what you said.
I didn't mean the reason UFC became the biggest org. I am saying as it stands at this moment in time, the reason they are the biggest is due to their deep and talented roster.

·
Registered
659 Posts
#1) Overeem is legit, should be the new face of Strikeforce and be heavily promoted. He is big, young, skilled, and marketable,

#2) Grim is not ready for someone of that caliber...yet, but he is far from garbage.

#3) Roger Gracie is a legit BJJ bad ass, WOW!!

#4) Jacare is legit and a bad man

#5) Feijao should face Moussasi next and see how skilled he really is.

This was a great show, much better than UFC 113 and Overeem is ridiculously good, he has improved a ton. He tossed Rogers and has the size that Fedor did not to keep him down and pound him.

For those who compare UFC to Strikeforce, you are foolish, HW and LHW are big dudes, where one punch can decide the outcome. F'N Forrest Griffin beat Rua, right? SF is not as deep as the UFC but it is legit.

I hope that Fedor beats Werdum and we can see Fedor vs. Overeem. SF should go all out.

Fedor vs. Overeem
Moussasi vs. King Mo II
Jacare vs. Mayhem Miller
Nick Diaz vs. Ty Woodley
Dan Henderson vs. Babalu Sobral

Big names, big event, Make it so!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts

And what points have you made? Hopping the Overeem hype train? What has he done in the last few years in the sport of MMA?

If you took 2 of the best HWs out of the UFC you wouldn't be that interested in it? Well no shit. You take Overeem and Fedor out and you are left with fighters not even in the top 10.

You want good points?

AA - 3 straight losses, never that dominant in the sport.
Rogers - has 1 single win that is worth a shit, and that is the guy above.
Fedor - Fought the likes of Hong Man Choi as recently as 2 years ago. Tim Sylvia....oh wow exciting.
Overeem- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alistair_Overeem Thats all you need to know. He has fought BUMS! James Thompson are you kidding? All of his losses are to the good fighters. So beating Rogers and a bunch of cans makes him a huge threat to anything? Why?
Werdum - He got KO'd right out of the UFC by a guy that isn't even getting the next shot at the belt or the next. Pretty Sad he is fighting for what is the equivalent of the belt (Fedor).

I like substance. I like facts. And the facts are all these top HWs in SF have either fought no one or they fight good fighters and lose badly. AA and Werdum have fought the best fighters out of the group and they have lost because of it.

Now bring your points as to why SF HWs are even close to top notch. Bring me some fcats, not opinions. Fact is you can't. They fight clowns.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It proved several things:
-Juicing up in Japan for several years before finally coming back to US to defend your belt REALLY pays off.
-Even "Kobe of bjj" doesn't win fights instantly when fight hits the ground. Even if that happens about 10 times in the match.
-Arlovski DOES have solid chin, but either he is uneager to pull the trigger anymore or just doesn't have as good boxing as all the hypers say he does.
-SF is such a B level promotion compared to ufc. Terrible concept overall and I doubt anyone would really care about them if they didn't actually have solid list of high tier fighters.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts