Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid ufc fight videoes never include the post fight interview, but i heard he was slamming the judges for a poor decision on the couture fight

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
IIRC he said something like "something needs to be changed". Sorry I can't remember in detail lol, it was a long night.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Joe in the post fight interview to Couture: "were you surprised at the decision?"

Couture: "Brandon did a great job..."

Joe: "that he did..."

translation: Joe thought Brandon Vera won the fight (by doing the most damage with body kicks and knees rounds 2 and 3).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well between this one and the Machida/Shogun fight is anyone suprised theres some contempt for the judges going around? Past two main events have had questionable decisions from the judges. I guess this just goes to show Brandon should have just gone for the KO when he knocked Randy down. Judges can't argue with a KO.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Yeah, something's wrong when the winner is pissing blood for a week and the loser has taken zero damage.

"octagon control" was such bullshit in that match.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't remember it all, but when Rogan spoke to Vera he said something like he thought Vera won the fight and that we've recently seen bad decisions and the rules need to be changed to correct such decisions for future fights.

If someone care to correct/update me feel free. :)

I was surprised that he took such a clear position live like that. I thought he was a bit out of line actually. I didn't find any obvious winner in that clinch-fest, but I can't really understand why actual damage isn't worth more than it seems to be. (Vera didn't recieve much damage.)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I watched the fight on Spike and they went straight to Super Dave Osborne right after Randy's interview. Spike sucks like that sometimes...

Brandon had no one to blame but himself. While he did an amazing job stuffing takedowns, he was completely unsuccessful, with a couple of notable exceptions, in creating space and distance for his kicks and knees. When he was able to utilize his length, Brandon was nasty. But he had to know Randy wanted to tie him up, wear him out along the cage with the clinch, then take him down and pound on him.

As I have said before, Brandon's got the talent, but rarely if ever the proper game plan (when matched up with a top flight contender).

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
I watched the fight on Spike and they went straight to Super Dave Osborne right after Randy's interview. Spike sucks like that sometimes...

Brandon had no one to blame but himself. While he did an amazing job stuffing takedowns, he was completely unsuccessful, with a couple of notable exceptions, in creating space and distance for his kicks and knees. When he was able to utilize his length, Brandon was nasty. But he had to know Randy wanted to tie him up, wear him out along the cage with the clinch, then take him down and pound on him.

As I have said before, Brandon's got the talent, but rarely if ever the proper game plan (when matched up with a top flight contender).

Yeah, let's just keep ignoring an obvious judging criteria problem and blame it on "fighters should have finished to win." Fifteen minutes is not always long enough to finish top tier fighters, and if we keep ignoring this problem we're going to end up like boxing.

Next person to say it was Vera's fault, picture this: What if GSP lost the decision to Alves or Fitch?

He should have finished the fight then... right?

Judging needs to be accurate, end of story.

·
Defecato, ergo sum
1,151 Posts
Yeah, let's just keep ignoring an obvious judging criteria problem and blame it on "fighters should have finished to win." Fifteen minutes is not always long enough to finish top tier fighters, and if we keep ignoring this problem we're going to end up like boxing.
Fifteen minutes is more than enough to finish. The problem is that the current system allows people to play it safe, suck just a little less than the other guy, and win the fight. No matter how bad you are, no matter how little you do, you can win if you keep the other guy from doing *quite* as much as you.

Such was the case in this fight - Randy was able to hold Brandon against the cage, do little to nothing, and if the judges thought that Brandon did just a little less, Randy wins.

That means that there is NO INCENTIVE to take any risks and try to finish the fight. NO INCENTIVE.

That's why you hear Machida, the LHW champion, in a later interview, saying things along the lines of "I knew that I had won the round, so I just held him down for two minutes. Since I had more points, there was no reason for me to risk getting hit."

No matter how accurate you make the judging, if you want fighters to try to finish fights, you need to give them an incentive to do something more than get some points, then lay around doing nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Fifteen minutes is more than enough to finish. The problem is that the current system allows people to play it safe, suck just a little less than the other guy, and win the fight. No matter how bad you are, no matter how little you do, you can win if you keep the other guy from doing *quite* as much as you.

Such was the case in this fight - Randy was able to hold Brandon against the cage, do little to nothing, and if the judges thought that Brandon did just a little less, Randy wins.

That means that there is NO INCENTIVE to take any risks and try to finish the fight. NO INCENTIVE.

That's why you hear Machida, the LHW champion, in a later interview, saying things along the lines of "I knew that I had won the round, so I just held him down for two minutes. Since I had more points, there was no reason for me to risk getting hit."

No matter how accurate you make the judging, if you want fighters to try to finish fights, you need to give them an incentive to do something more than get some points, then lay around doing nothing.
Quote of the year :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
What's far more important than the scoring for me, is how badly both fighters looked after the fight was over. Expectations for an entertaining fight are always high in the UFC, especially for a main event. Randy is known for generating exciting fights, so that adds to the anticipation.

Randy looked terrible. He showed zero boxing skills, could not get a takedown, and did little if any significant damage to Vera.

Vera on the other hand, was startlingly inept in maintaining enough space and range to work his stand up game.

I can't ever recall Randy turning his back from a fight, much less crumpling over in pain. That one was a new one for me.

I have to say it: this fight sucked. Randy is looking less and less impressive in each fight, and there is little anticipation in seeing him fight for the 205 lb. title, except as a matter of nostalgia for the fighter he once was.

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
No incentive?

Fight of the Night? Knockout of the Night? Submission of the Night?

Sixty grand sounds like a pretty good incentive to me, especially if my purse is under $10,000.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
i thought it was close, and I expected vera to win, but the decision is understandable. Randy did land a lot in the clinch.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
I don't recall Randy landing a lot in the clinch, and if he did it was pitterpatter punches. What I saw was him mostly keeping Vera pushed against the cage , not allowing him to escape and trying for numerous takedowns. Like the Gonz fight he had him pressed against the cage, but in that fight Randy did tons of damage while there. I don't think it was a bad decision so to speak because of the judging criteria, so the decision wasn't a surprise but it was a disappointment for me as a MMA fan.

·
Defecato, ergo sum
1,151 Posts
No incentive?

Fight of the Night? Knockout of the Night? Submission of the Night?

Sixty grand sounds like a pretty good incentive to me, especially if my purse is under $10,000.
Not if you're a big name, and between signing bonus, pay, win bonus, PPV bonus, and "locker-room" bonuses (pay that isn't disclosed), you're making 7 figures per fight. You know... like Randy has in the past.

Sure, the up-and-comers might be hungry for it, but the ultimate example is Machida. You don't exactly hear him saying "Yeah, I wanted to be elusive, but man, I needed that fight-of-the-night bonus, so I chased him down" or "I wanted to wait out the round, but I really needed that sub-of-the-night bonus to pay for my rent."

1 - 20 of 41 Posts