ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nog's out, Carwin's out, Lesnar is out.

How about we have:

Cain Valesquez vs. Junior Dos Santos

Frank Mir vs. Cheick Kongo

Winners fight for the interim belt.

If Cain gets past JDS his striking is clearly improved enough to be a top tier HW. And if Kongo gets past Mir, he's well rounded enough to be a top tier HW. IMO we'll see JDS vs Kongo which would be one of the best strikefest's at HW ever.

Kongo and Valesquez have fought but Kongo didn't have a full training camp and took the fight on short notice, and he had Cain in trouble.

Carwin: When he recovers, he can face the interim belt holder, or Lesnar if they recover at the same time. Carwin hasn't faced any of the four in my lineup, and Lesnar has only faced Mir - so if Mir gets by these fighters we could have a rubbermatch.

It'd definitely help sort out the HW rankings and have a lot of entertaining fights.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I would like to see Velasquez vs Dos Santos but that would get rid of another fight on 108 as Dos Santos is supposed to fight Gonazaga.

Maybe Gonzaga could fight Rothwell instead? It would bump Rothwell's fight up so not sure he would like that.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to see Velasquez vs Dos Santos but that would get rid of another fight on 108 as Dos Santos is supposed to fight Gonazaga.

Maybe Gonzaga could fight Rothwell instead? It would bump Rothwell's fight up so not sure he would like that.

Definitely, in another thread I mentioned Gonzaga vs Rothwell, I think skillwise that's a much better match up.

Ideally I'd want JDS vs Cain to replace the JDS vs Gonzaga fight on 108. That'd add a lot of excitement to that card IMO.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I completely agree with ya man, I've wanted these guys, Cain, Carwin, JDS to fight eachother and others a lot more before they get a title shot anyways, just to solidify things, I think JDS and Cain would be a great match to see who is the best. If you put JDS and Carwin against eachother you would probably just see a knockout and wouldn't learn much about either fighter except that they punch hard, ya heard?

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely agree with ya man, I've wanted these guys, Cain, Carwin, JDS to fight eachother and others a lot more before they get a title shot anyways, just to solidify things, I think JDS and Cain would be a great match to see who is the best. If you put JDS and Carwin against eachother you would probably just see a knockout and wouldn't learn much about either fighter except that they punch hard, ya heard?
Couldn't agree more. And this way:

-Carwin gets to fight a top 10 opponent before he fights for the title

-We get to see JDS' very-relevant TDD against a top wrestler

-We get to see how Cain has improved against possibly the best striker in the division

:D

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
When did Carwin get hurt?? Damm this is messed what is going on lately.

Anyways the way I look at it Mir is the Interim Champion again. Which is kinda meh for me because he will still get ripped on even if he does manage to beat any of these guys.

It's not going to easy but if all these guys are out for awhile Mir is Champ imo.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When did Carwin get hurt?? Damm this is messed what is going on lately.

Anyways the way I look at it Mir is the Interim Champion again. Which is kinda meh for me because he will still get ripped on even if he does manage to beat any of these guys.

It's not going to easy but if all these guys are out for awhile Mir is Champ imo.

So Mir (coming off a loss) and Kongo (coming off a loss) is instantly a HW title match? :confused02:

And carwin didn't get hurt recently, he's just taking time now to repair his knee.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...Cain & Junior would be an awesome fight. They both are hungry, aggressive fighters. Junior's striking against Cro-Cop was impressive. Cain is just a beast. I hope those two should meet soon. They are definitely in the mix for a title shot. As far as the others, time is ticking. Kongo still hasn't earned a title shot. Mir's clock is running out fast. Nogueria is still dangerous, but fading fast. I wonder what planet Heath Herring went to visit. I don't know where Gonzaga is headed. The HW Division is kinda thin. Lesnar & Carwin have to meet. I hope Joe Silva still makes it happen. Most everyone would want to see the 2 most powerful guys in MMA bang for the title...:thumbsup:

...Too bad Fedor didn't hold out a tad longer on signing with Strikeforce. The timing would have been perfect right now for Fedor to jump into the UFC HW Division...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
So Mir (coming off a loss) and Kongo (coming off a loss) is instantly a HW title match? :confused02:

And carwin didn't get hurt recently, he's just taking time now to repair his knee.
No the winner of that fight would fight the winner of JDS/Cain. Just going with what the OP said if this does happen I think Mir will get the interim title.

So Carwin is not out? He will be ready to fight in a few months or something?

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No the winner of that fight would fight the winner of JDS/Cain. Just going with what the OP said if this does happen I think Mir will get the interim title.

So Carwin is not out? He will be ready to fight in a few months or something?
haha, I'm the OP.

And I dunno if I see Mir walking through Kongo, JDS, or Valesquez. Kongo will probably beat him, he's like a Vera except much bigger with crisper, harder striking. Look at what Vera did to Mir.

And yeah Carwin is only out for maybe... 6 months? He has to fully recover, get an opponent, go through a full training camp etc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It would be funny to see Mir win another Interim championship, the guy is like the Undisputed Interim HW Champ of the UFC. LOL.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I say that Dos Santos v Cain for interim belt, forget Mir & Kongo in the discussion for now. Let Mir fight Kongo- if he wins then he can fight Carwin and Lesnar can fight the JDS v Cain winner

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would be funny to see Mir win another Interim championship, the guy is like the Undisputed Interim HW Champ of the UFC. LOL.

LMFAO good point, didn't think about that. If he cleared those guys out he'd have had the "interim" belt THREE times, haha.

Really though if he can beat Kongo then beat Cain/JDS I'll be a fan, that'd be really impressive. And it'd line him up for Carwin/Lesnar.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
haha, I'm the OP.

And I dunno if I see Mir walking through Kongo, JDS, or Valesquez. Kongo will probably beat him, he's like a Vera except much bigger with crisper, harder striking. Look at what Vera did to Mir.

And yeah Carwin is only out for maybe... 6 months? He has to fully recover, get an opponent, go through a full training camp etc.
except Vera is a world class wrestler and has great ju jitsu and Kongo has neither... i dont see how they are similar at all, Mir couldnt take Vera down was the problem and Vera's ju jitsu isnt non existent like Kongo. I really dont see many similarities except they are both good strikers but i'd say kongo is the more powerful by far.

Mir will get Kongo on the ground and he will put him in places he hates being and as usual Kongo will gas and fade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts