Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

11221 - 11240 of 11277 Posts

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
I finally beat Bloodstained and it was a lot of fun. The story was interesting, the characters were interesting, there was a lot of variety with the shards, has a lot of weapon variety, the castle was fun to explore, some of the bosses were challenging. It took me at least 22 hours to beat. The final boss was a bit weird and a little disorienting. Good thing I brought a lot of heath potions with me. I'm glad I played it and hope there is a sequel in the future.
I just bought this as it was on sale. Hoping I like it.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
I just bought this as it was on sale. Hoping I like it.
I hope you like it too. Like I said, its pretty much Castlevania only with a different name. If your into the original 2D platform then you should like it.

Well, I finished Fata Morgana the other day. It took me a week but it is finally finished. I had a good time with this novel. If you guys love visual novels and never played this one I recommend you do so. However, you should buy it on Steam. I found out that it is $15.00 cheaper then the PSN Store.:(

Right now, I started playing Control. Apparently I was not the only one that was interested in playing this game because it was surprisingly hard to find. I had to go to 4 different stores until I finally found a copy. So far this game has me intrigued. I think this is going to be really good.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
Control is a fun game but it does have its problems. For instance, the main story itself is bad and the main character is kind of boring. The story pretty much amounts to Jessie enters the Bureau of Control looking for her long lost brother. She finds a living weapon and becomes the new director. Jessie pretty much accepts everything that is happening without question. Even the Bureau agents are fully accepting that this complete stranger, who just walked in the door not 20 minutes ago, is there new boss. Something about that seems really off. She gives a little bit of a backstory but it doesn't really tell us what kind of a person Jessie is or what kind of relationship she had with her brother before his disappearance. Why should I care about this brother if we literally have no connection to him what so ever. The only thing I do know for sure about Jessie is she used to be a janitor and that a unknown being is attached to her. To be fair, I am still playing the game so there is still time to build up Jessie's character.

As much complaining I am doing you are probably thinking this game is bad. Now at all. The story might be meh but the lore itself is pretty good. Reading documents, watching films, and listening to tape recordings gives you a better understanding of this world then what is being presented in the main story.

The combat is pretty solid and I do love the environments in this game.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
Got my Wii U up and running yesterday. I'll probably play through Pikmin while I wait for Blasphemous and potentially Borderlands 3.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
Got my Wii U up and running yesterday. I'll probably play through Pikmin while I wait for Blasphemous and potentially Borderlands 3.
I miss the Wii-U. I would love to go back to it and play Bayonetta 2 and maybe finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions. It still sucks that console got such a rough deal. By the way how was Bloodstained?

Remember how I said things that things were more interesting outside the main story of Control. Well, you can add boss fights to that list as well. The boss fights in the main story are pretty bland. They are just Hiss enemies you run into throughout the whole game only with a higher energy bar and armor. However, in a side mission I just came across an actual monster that is challenging (and frustrating). I'm still trying to find a good strategy to take him out. I came close the last time but I ended up panicking because the monster changed its attack pattern a little bit. Edit:

Just beat it. However, he killed me at the same time but the game counted it as a win. Also, just found an Alan Wake Easter egg. Good to know Remedy didn't forget about Alan Wake even though Microsoft did. Bastards.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
I miss the Wii-U. I would love to go back to it and play Bayonetta 2 and maybe finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions. It still sucks that console got such a rough deal. By the way how was Bloodstained?

Remember how I said things that things were more interesting outside the main story of Control. Well, you can add boss fights to that list as well. The boss fights in the main story are pretty bland. They are just Hiss enemies you run into throughout the whole game only with a higher energy bar and armor. However, in a side mission I just came across an actual monster that is challenging (and frustrating). I'm still trying to find a good strategy to take him out. I came close the last time but I ended up panicking because the monster changed its attack pattern a little bit. Edit:

Just beat it. However, he killed me at the same time but the game counted it as a win. Also, just found an Alan Wake Easter egg. Good to know Remedy didn't forget about Alan Wake even though Microsoft did. Bastards.
Wii U is a solid console for sure. It got a lot of hate, but it has quite a few solid games.

Bloodstained is good, but honestly it got a little tiring because I picked up an OP weapon early on from a random drop. I even Googled it, trying to figure out what was going on. Apparently this weapon is stupidly OP and makes bosses/enemies irrelevant, and as you go through the game you improve upon it/upgrade it, and it continues to be OP. The exploration and stuff is interesting and I love the music, but the combat is just so easy. I am tempted to restart back to the beginning so that this weapon doesn't drop. I could simply not use it, but that's dumb. I don't like going out of my way to inset self imposed rules like not using a weapon I have because it's too strong or not using healing items etc. Just not my thing.

I did however get my nephews over today and we played Mario Chase + Ghosts and Smash Ultimate. A lot of good fun.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
Wii U is a solid console for sure. It got a lot of hate, but it has quite a few solid games.

Bloodstained is good, but honestly it got a little tiring because I picked up an OP weapon early on from a random drop. I even Googled it, trying to figure out what was going on. Apparently this weapon is stupidly OP and makes bosses/enemies irrelevant, and as you go through the game you improve upon it/upgrade it, and it continues to be OP. The exploration and stuff is interesting and I love the music, but the combat is just so easy. I am tempted to restart back to the beginning so that this weapon doesn't drop. I could simply not use it, but that's dumb. I don't like going out of my way to inset self imposed rules like not using a weapon I have because it's too strong or not using healing items etc. Just not my thing.

I did however get my nephews over today and we played Mario Chase + Ghosts and Smash Ultimate. A lot of good fun.
Which weapon was that? I don't remember anything like that happening in my playthrough and I was grinding pretty hard in this game.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
I just finished the main story of Control and to answer your question, no the story (or characterization) did not improve. Hell, I didn't even expect to finish the story when I did.

I thought there would have been this huge revelation but in the end it was your typical "Congratulations, you've completed the game but there is still more to be done."
This was 10x worse then the ending to Alan Wake.

Still, I had a lot of fun with this game regardless of the piss poor story. Especially, when we had moments like this...

I'll finish more of the side missions before I move on.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
I just finished the main story of Control and to answer your question, no the story (or characterization) did not improve. Hell, I didn't even expect to finish the story when I did.

I thought there would have been this huge revelation but in the end it was your typical "Congratulations, you've completed the game but there is still more to be done."
This was 10x worse then the ending to Alan Wake.

Still, I had a lot of fun with this game regardless of the piss poor story. Especially, when we had moments like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nudSXUMBEV4

I'll finish more of the side missions before I move on.
I'll pick it up once it goes on sale for sub $30. I am over paying $40-60 for games that take 10 hours to beat. Question though - does music like that play during all the fights? That alone makes me interested in the game. AAA games these days fail at building hype and energy while in combat. I miss the days of actual music playing during combat, or at least some sort of hyped up soundtrack.

Which weapon was that? I don't remember anything like that happening in my playthrough and I was grinding pretty hard in this game.
Rhava Bural is what it's called. It dropped from a random mob early on in the game, like 1.5-2 hours in.

I just got my 6th character into Elite Smash, which is achieved by getting a certain amount of GSP (ranking points) in online battles. I put in a lot of work with Dark Samus and now I can, pun entirely intended, Smash like a beast with her.

I want a single player game to play, though. On the look out for one.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
I'll pick it up once it goes on sale for sub $30. I am over paying $40-60 for games that take 10 hours to beat. Question though - does music like that play during all the fights? That alone makes me interested in the game. AAA games these days fail at building hype and energy while in combat. I miss the days of actual music playing during combat, or at least some sort of hyped up soundtrack.

Rhava Bural is what it's called. It dropped from a random mob early on in the game, like 1.5-2 hours in.

I just got my 6th character into Elite Smash, which is achieved by getting a certain amount of GSP (ranking points) in online battles. I put in a lot of work with Dark Samus and now I can, pun entirely intended, Smash like a beast with her.

I want a single player game to play, though. On the look out for one.
Unfortunately, this was the only segment where this happened. You know what is funny about this song. Its listed as being performed by the Old Gods of Asgard. You know, those two old guys from Alan Wake who used to be part of a heavy metal band. Considering how many Alan Wake references this game made I really hope a sequel is in the works. Its looking more likely considering Remedy got the rights back to publish Alan Wake from Microsoft.

Well, I'm moving onto Greed Fall. This promises to be a good RPG.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
Unfortunately, this was the only segment where this happened. You know what is funny about this song. Its listed as being performed by the Old Gods of Asgard. You know, those two old guys from Alan Wake who used to be part of a heavy metal band. Considering how many Alan Wake references this game made I really hope a sequel is in the works. Its looking more likely considering Remedy got the rights back to publish Alan Wake from Microsoft.

Well, I'm moving onto Greed Fall. This promises to be a good RPG.
Let me know how Greedfall is.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
Death Stranding looks like one of the worst games I've ever seen in my life. I try my best not to judge a game before playing it, but holy shit this game looks terrible. The gameplay so far (and there's' over an hour of it at this point), is - walking around climbing up ladders and down ropes, sitting around your room doing completely pointless emotes/animations while you change hats and sunglasses, taking a piss and bathing in a pool with a baby. It looks AWFUL from a gameplay perspective. I could see myself getting bored very quickly. Kojima has completely lost his mind after Konami fired him.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
I put a few hours into GreedFall. This feels like a real RPG with actual choices. There are different ways you can complete a quest. This was what I was looking for in that disappointment of a game, Fallout 4. The only thing I don't like is the character customization. I use the term "Customization" loosely because all you are doing is picking face presets and they all suck.

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
Death Stranding looks like one of the worst games I've ever seen in my life. I try my best not to judge a game before playing it, but holy shit this game looks terrible. The gameplay so far (and there's' over an hour of it at this point), is - walking around climbing up ladders and down ropes, sitting around your room doing completely pointless emotes/animations while you change hats and sunglasses, taking a piss and bathing in a pool with a baby. It looks AWFUL from a gameplay perspective. I could see myself getting bored very quickly. Kojima has completely lost his mind after Konami fired him.

Agreed, DS looks bad.

Hideo Kojima was raising awareness of how oppressive and regressive konami had become. Konami is run like a totalitarian police state.

DS could be terribad for the same reasons hollywood movies are horrible. AKA investors and financers with zero experience in producing games/movies, exercising "creative control" over the development phase of the project.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
I put a few hours into GreedFall. This feels like a real RPG with actual choices. There are different ways you can complete a quest. This was what I was looking for in that disappointment of a game, Fallout 4. The only thing I don't like is the character customization. I use the term "Customization" loosely because all you are doing is picking face presets and they all suck.
That's good. I've heard positive and negatives, I'm just not sure if I want to throw down $50 on the game yet.

Agreed, DS looks bad.

Hideo Kojima was raising awareness of how oppressive and regressive konami had become. Konami is run like a totalitarian police state.

DS could be terribad for the same reasons hollywood movies are horrible. AKA investors and financers with zero experience in producing games/movies, exercising "creative control" over the development phase of the project.
I don't know the Kojima/Konami situation, only that the guy was fired or let go or whatever. All I really know is that he was making pretty great games for a long, long time...and then leaves Konami and now we have what looks like a real shit ass game, at least from what's been shown. It makes me wonder if the real talent was in the team at Konami, rather than Kojima himself.

I played the new Moderen Warfare beta, and it's, well, Call of Duty. You run, you shoot, you kill. Or, you run, you shoot, then you die from behind. Same old stuff. But it was fun for what it was.

Playing through Dark Souls 3 again. Maybe the 30th time. Souls games are meditation for me. I just zone out and listen to music or podcasts and go through them. I can beat DS3 in about 5-6 hours, no glitches no exploits not speedrunning, just getting the weapon I want to build around and going from point A to point B until the end. These games are actually pretty short if you know how to play them and where to go.

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
I don't know the Kojima/Konami situation, only that the guy was fired or let go or whatever. All I really know is that he was making pretty great games for a long, long time...and then leaves Konami and now we have what looks like a real shit ass game, at least from what's been shown. It makes me wonder if the real talent was in the team at Konami, rather than Kojima himself.

This is an old story dating back to 2015.

Report: Konami Is Treating Its Staff Like Prisoners

According to a report on Nikkei, the corporate culture at Konami—home of Metal Gear, Silent Hill and Pro Evolution Soccer—hasn’t only soured over the past few years, but has become almost terrifyingly Orwellian.

Nikkei’s report alleges that the culture at the corporation’s video game division, famous for its console games, worsened in around 2010 when a mobile title called Dragon Collection became a smash hit. As a social game for phones, development costs were low and profit returns were huge. Not long after, the report says, Konami’s corporate bosses shifted the company’s focus away from traditional, hardcore games and towards cheaper, and potentially more lucrative social titles.

(Somewhat related, the same Nikkei report says that Metal Gear Solid 5’s development costs have surpassed 10 billion yen/US$80 million).

In a country where mobile gaming has exploded in popularity, the fact Konami has pivoted to this type of offering isn’t in itself surprising. What is, however, are some of the office conditions Nikkei reports have arisen as a result of the shift, especially with regards to how Konami treats employees.

https://kotaku.com/report-konami-is-treating-its-staff-like-prisoners-1721700073

Konami took steps to worsen their work environment to force console developers to quit. So they could focus on more profitable mobile games.

Don't know about death stranding.

The stealth sneak mechanic is so played out, they should know they need to improve on that. They have Sean Bean and the actor from the Hannibal Lectar tv series and whoever else, maybe they're focusing more on the story and cinematics than gameplay.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
This is an old story dating back to 2015.

Konami took steps to worsen their work environment to force console developers to quit. So they could focus on more profitable mobile games.

Don't know about death stranding.

The stealth sneak mechanic is so played out, they should know they need to improve on that. They have Sean Bean and the actor from the Hannibal Lectar tv series and whoever else, maybe they're focusing more on the story and cinematics than gameplay.
Hmm, it doesn't seem all that bad compared to many other companies you can work for. Some of those points were a bit silly, like renaming Kojima's team for example. That seems pretty simple and not a big deal at all. Unless you're Kojima, a known egomaniac, because his name was officially taken off of the title of the development team. Also, staff that aren't PR/sales/etc not having a direct company email isn't crazy or abnormal. A lot of companies don't give their employees ANY email, much less a randomized one. A lot of the issues or complaints on that list a pretty benign.

Honestly, I think it has to do with two things - Konami wanted to go moble/slot machines and step away from console/AAA gaming, and Kojima is an egomanic who couldn't handle Konami not bending the knee, and the two together equals Kojima being let go and his studio shut down. I mean let's be real here, if you go over to PSN right now and find Death Stranding in the "featured" section, it says in giant typing even larger than the title of the game itself "A KOJIMA GAME". The guy has an ego the size of the sun and I think that's a big part of the reason he got the boot. It wasn't an issue when Konami was giving him everything, but the moment they took his name off of the team name and was being firm on a budget (apparently Kojima went WAY over budget for MGSV, upwards of 10 billion dollars to make that game), and rightfully so Konami was pissed.

·
Super Moderator
8,045 Posts
The guy has an ego the size of the sun and I think that's a big part of the reason he got the boot. It wasn't an issue when Konami was giving him everything, but the moment they took his name off of the team name and was being firm on a budget (apparently Kojima went WAY over budget for MGSV, upwards of 10 billion dollars to make that game), and rightfully so Konami was pissed.
10 Billion? Theres no way that game cost 10 billion to make, Destiny is the worlds most expensive game at $140 million. Are you sure you don't men Yen?

11221 - 11240 of 11277 Posts