Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

11261 - 11277 of 11277 Posts

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
Diablo 3. I've been coming back to this game since the launched, about once a year I hop in. Season 19 coming in like a week, so I'll be playing that season.

Also, Death Stranding looks like shit, as I thought it would e
Regarding Gods & Monsters, I heard Ubisoft delayed it along with other titles due to the poor sales of Ghost Recon: Breakpoint and The Division 2. Ubisoft tried to pull a fast one with Ghost Recon by adding "time savers" into there games. It also launched broken and the story was complete crap. Because of this Ubisoft stocks took a noise dive and scared them into fixing there other games before launch.

So Gods & Monsters would have been broken at launch if Ghost Recon had sold well. I'm not going to tell anyone not to buy a Ubisoft game. I will say keep an eye on them. They got it in there head to make nothing but super grindy RPG's with microtransactions that does effect game play. Its one of the reasons I got rid of Assassins Creed Odyssey. That thing was made to sell XP boosters. For that reason alone that game was *** garbage.

Well, I'm going to play Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition. I love the Tales games and this one is worth going back to.
I'm a big Tales guy. My favorite by a substantial margin is Tales of Beseria, but Vesperia is pretty good too.

I bought Death Stranding. I have no idea why. It looks like boring hot trash, but I have to see what this game is about. It laucnhes in 1.5 hours, I... don't know what to expect.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
Diablo 3. I've been coming back to this game since the launched, about once a year I hop in. Season 19 coming in like a week, so I'll be playing that season.

Also, Death Stranding looks like shit, as I thought it would e

I'm a big Tales guy. My favorite by a substantial margin is Tales of Beseria, but Vesperia is pretty good too.

I bought Death Stranding. I have no idea why. It looks like boring hot trash, but I have to see what this game is about. It laucnhes in 1.5 hours, I... don't know what to expect.
You thought the game looked like shit but you bought it anyway? LOL! I thought for sure you would have avoided this game like the plague. I hope you do enjoy this game. I was seriously considering trading The Outer Worlds for this game. I bought the Outer Worlds a couple of weeks ago but I can't motivate myself in playing it. Its everything I want in a Fallout game but It's turning out to be more liberal propaganda. I'm so tired of this shit.. If Death Stranding turns out to be good let me know.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
You thought the game looked like shit but you bought it anyway? LOL! I thought for sure you would have avoided this game like the plague. I hope you do enjoy this game. I was seriously considering trading The Outer Worlds for this game. I bought the Outer Worlds a couple of weeks ago but I can't motivate myself in playing it. Its everything I want in a Fallout game but It's turning out to be more liberal propaganda. I'm so tired of this shit.. If Death Stranding turns out to be good let me know.
I was in the same boat, except Outer Worlds turned me off just from the trailers because of the themes. Death Stranding looks like garbage gameplay wise, but I was really interested in seeing what exactly it's like.

After about...3 hours? Maybe 4, I can say this:

1. Graphics are beautiful. Like, seriously stunning at times. Music/sound/voice acting/etc all great as well.
2. The story is not nearly as convoluted so far as people think, It has some unique ideas for sure but I'm following it easily enough (and it's interesting, which is good).

3 - and this is the big thing, the gameplay. It's... well, it's Fedex Simulatotor, I mean you are quite literally taking packages from point A to point B. However, it's not quite that simple. You must manage how much luggage you take with you, how many ropes/ladders/spare boots (your shoes wear out as you might imagine) to take with you. You also must put them in certain spots on your body to manage balance. For example, I put all my heavy cargo on my back, put one piece on my side, another piece on my other side, put a ladder on one side and boots on one side. Doing this, my character is well balanced and therefore I'm not tripping and stumbling all over myself as I traverse the landscape/hills/mountains/rivers/etc. This makes the game almost puzzle like.

The other thing is you have to plot your route. For example, I'm starting at A and need to get to B. B happens to be on the other side of 3 rivers, a few mountains, a cliff, etc. I can go to my map (which is fully 3D so you can see all the hills and depths and what not), and put down markers to follow so I know I won't get stuck against a giant cliff I can't yet scale. So it's plotting a course, managing inventory, balance, weight, and making your way through the landscape to your destination.

Lastly, it has an online component like Dark Souls games. You can leave messages to other players, any structures you lay down (say you lay down a ladder to climb a cliff), it stays there and other players can use that ladder in their game and give it "likes". You can find bikes or postboxes made by players (and people find yours that you make) that you can use, on and on. So there's like this social aspect that's actually kinda neat.

So far... it's enjoyable. But, it requires a unique taste. I'm not sure if I'll beat it or not. From what I understand, the game gets better as it goes on as you start to get vehicles, mechanical suits that let you sprint/navigate a lot better, more gear and what not.

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
Was thinking of buying Jedi Fallen Order november 15th when its out.

It looks so one dimensional, unimaginative and boring though.

I could make a better star wars game 100%.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
Okay, so, here are my thoughts on Death Stranding after about 25 hours in. I am not a Kojima fan, I thought the game looked awful, I went into the game more curious about what exactly it was rather than excited to play it.

Given all of the above, my thoughts this far in is that it's a pretty fun game and highly addicting. BUT, and this is a huge but, the game would be worse without the community. What I mean by this is, right now, since I played from launch, we (the community) are "building" the world together. Building highways, bridges, planting charging stations and safe zones and all else all around the land. I personally have many multiple sections of roads, signs, bridges ,etc for me and everyone else to use (you get likes and credit for anytime anyone uses your structures, I have like 17k likes right now).

The game is addicting and a lot of fun WITH the on-going community aspects. Delivering a package from point A to point B is a lot more fun when you are consistently getting little messages on the left side of the screen showing when someone uses your roads/bridges/rests at your charging station/etc. There's a "feel good" experience knowing the things you placed, your structures, are helping others grind it out in the tough world. Someone somewhere (more like hundreds of people) are riding down your road, or recovering at one of your strategically placed safe zones.

The deliveries are also a lot more fun as you go along. the first 5-10 hours are a bit of a slog. You have no vehicles, you have no upgrades to cargo limit, no skeleton upgrades to manage movement speed, no zip lines, no floating crates, on and on. But as you unlock these things step by step, the game opens up more and more and gets more and more enjoyable. It's actually quite enjoyable to hop on your electric bike, toss on some cargo, drive down your (and others) personally built highway, taking packages around and ranking up different settlements for new gear/bonuses.

In conclusion - as of like half way through the game, it's a lot of fun... BUT, the social aspect of it gives probably 70% of that fun. The idea that you are a cog in a machine that's rebuilding a world is great, the fact that what you build is used by many others and you get likes/credit for when people use what you build adds a great sense of accomplishment/being helpful. Without this system, the game would be merely okay. It would be an okay/average game. But with it, it's a lot of fun. But, and this a big but, if you want to have the most fun with the game you need to play now while it's active. When it dies out, if there aren't many left, you're going to have a much lesser experience than you do now. 6 months from now, this game will be a shell of what it is now I believe.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
Okay, so, here are my thoughts on Death Stranding after about 25 hours in. I am not a Kojima fan, I thought the game looked awful, I went into the game more curious about what exactly it was rather than excited to play it.

Given all of the above, my thoughts this far in is that it's a pretty fun game and highly addicting. BUT, and this is a huge but, the game would be worse without the community. What I mean by this is, right now, since I played from launch, we (the community) are "building" the world together. Building highways, bridges, planting charging stations and safe zones and all else all around the land. I personally have many multiple sections of roads, signs, bridges ,etc for me and everyone else to use (you get likes and credit for anytime anyone uses your structures, I have like 17k likes right now).

The game is addicting and a lot of fun WITH the on-going community aspects. Delivering a package from point A to point B is a lot more fun when you are consistently getting little messages on the left side of the screen showing when someone uses your roads/bridges/rests at your charging station/etc. There's a "feel good" experience knowing the things you placed, your structures, are helping others grind it out in the tough world. Someone somewhere (more like hundreds of people) are riding down your road, or recovering at one of your strategically placed safe zones.

The deliveries are also a lot more fun as you go along. the first 5-10 hours are a bit of a slog. You have no vehicles, you have no upgrades to cargo limit, no skeleton upgrades to manage movement speed, no zip lines, no floating crates, on and on. But as you unlock these things step by step, the game opens up more and more and gets more and more enjoyable. It's actually quite enjoyable to hop on your electric bike, toss on some cargo, drive down your (and others) personally built highway, taking packages around and ranking up different settlements for new gear/bonuses.

In conclusion - as of like half way through the game, it's a lot of fun... BUT, the social aspect of it gives probably 70% of that fun. The idea that you are a cog in a machine that's rebuilding a world is great, the fact that what you build is used by many others and you get likes/credit for when people use what you build adds a great sense of accomplishment/being helpful. Without this system, the game would be merely okay. It would be an okay/average game. But with it, it's a lot of fun. But, and this a big but, if you want to have the most fun with the game you need to play now while it's active. When it dies out, if there aren't many left, you're going to have a much lesser experience than you do now. 6 months from now, this game will be a shell of what it is now I believe.
I think its pretty cool this game won you over. I bought this game yesterday and I played through mission 3. (At least I think its mission 3. It was the mission where I had to carry a dead body to the furnace up in the mountains). I think my stealth skills need work because I ended up getting swallowed by the PT's and then had to run away from a boss.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
I think its pretty cool this game won you over. I bought this game yesterday and I played through mission 3. (At least I think its mission 3. It was the mission where I had to carry a dead body to the furnace up in the mountains). I think my stealth skills need work because I ended up getting swallowed by the PT's and then had to run away from a boss.
It did win me over, and as the game progress the story gets REALLY interesting. I beat the game yesterday, a fantastic ending (although it's 1.5 hours worth of cut-scenes basically), a lot of mystery and twists and what not as the story goes along.

What I'll say is this - the first 5-10 hours feel....unique, but also not great. You will appreciate what they were trying to do but think it's still kinda boring and why are you even playing it. BUT, hold out, get to chapter 3 which is only like 6-7 hours in. The game REALLY opens up and you start getting lots of tools and stuff that make it all a lot more interesting. You start getting actual gear and upgrades and all kinds of stuff. The story also starts going somewhere. The story really doesn't go anywhere for a while which makes the game less interesting. Once the ball starts rolling, though, it really rolls. Just takes a while.

It's one of the rare, rare games where I'll say "wait it out until it gets good". Usually if a game takes 10-15 hours to get good, the game has failed. But there's something about this game where after it gets good, you have a strange appreciation for the early parts. It's an odd game.

edit - as far as your stealth skills go, when dealing with BTs it's pretty simple. Your little machine thing on your shoulder will flicker at different speeds and two colors. Blue = completely safe, you can stand up and just walk normally in the direction you want to go. Orange = very close, should crouch and hold breath until it turns blue again. You just do that over and over. Also, if you use your pulse (R1) while standing still, it shows you any BT's that are near you so you can easily walk around them instead of into them. Once you get the system down it's essentially impossible to get caught.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
I beat Death Sranding. It was overall a pretty good time. Like I said, it takes a specific mindset to enjoy it. You have to want the slow burn pace and enjoy the social aspects. I ended it with over 98k likes, which makes a person feel good that you helped a lot of people.

Outward was on sale for $15 on PSN. I'm about 10ish ours in. It's... definitely low budget, but pretty good. Definitely a bit more hardcore than other modern RPGs out there, like you can't see yourself on the map and have to navigate by landmarks, it has some survival elements like heat/cold/food/water, although all of which are pretty easily negated. It's mostly just a good open world RPG (but, not sure if it's good at $40. At $15 it's good).

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
I'm glad Death Stranding had more to it than what was divulged in previews.

Finally making an attempt to get through shadow of the tomb raider, which I've had for near to 12 months but couldn't get working until my mouse keyboard input freezing issue was fixed. Its the "feature" that is supposed to not upset your typing if your palm accidentally makes contact with the touchpad. There's no support for it on GUI anywhere.

In the end I found a clip on youtube with the info on which registry value to edit. Otherwise would probably never have gotten it fixed.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
Never did finish Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I don't know, it felt like the Intro was the best part of the game. After that, its like the game takes it down a notch or two after you discover the hidden village. Even the main villain's motivations seemed a bit underwhelming considering its supposed to tie into the first 2 games.

Death Stranding is definitely a slow burn. Its making me think how I can deliver these packages across rocky terrains, rivers, BT and MULE territories without too much damage. I had to do the trek to Port Knot City several times because my packages took too much damage. Just defeated the first boss of the game and entered a whole new area. So far, this game is intriguing. It also makes me wonder what kind of drugs Kojima is on when he was thinking about the story of this game.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
Never did finish Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I don't know, it felt like the Intro was the best part of the game. After that, its like the game takes it down a notch or two after you discover the hidden village. Even the main villain's motivations seemed a bit underwhelming considering its supposed to tie into the first 2 games.

Death Stranding is definitely a slow burn. Its making me think how I can deliver these packages across rocky terrains, rivers, BT and MULE territories without too much damage. I had to do the trek to Port Knot City several times because my packages took too much damage. Just defeated the first boss of the game and entered a whole new area. So far, this game is intriguing. It also makes me wonder what kind of drugs Kojima is on when he was thinking about the story of this game.

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts

I watched some of the walkthrough years ago. Looked like a straight to DVD rip off of Indiana Jones Last Crusade. Still gonna try to polish off #2 of the trilogy.

Did I say Shadow of the Tomb Raider? Meant Rise of the Tomb Raider.

#3 Shadow looked even worse to me than #2 Rise. I might have to abort on the 3rd installment. Things get just a bit tooo weird.

·
The American Psycho
6,870 Posts
I watched some of the walkthrough years ago. Looked like a straight to DVD rip off of Indiana Jones Last Crusade. Still gonna try to polish off #2 of the trilogy.

Did I say Shadow of the Tomb Raider? Meant Rise of the Tomb Raider.

#3 Shadow looked even worse to me than #2 Rise. I might have to abort on the 3rd installment. Things get just a bit tooo weird.
I liked Rise to an extent. It is definitely better then Shadow. My main grip with Rise is that the story seemed a bit rushed. For instance, Trinity was introduced with no build up or how Lara knew about them in the first place. Out of the blue they saw Lara as a threat to there plans and started this massive smear campaign. You want to know what is really insulting about all of this. Apparently, everything we need to know about Lara's rivalry with Trinity is all explained in the Tomb Raider comic books. Yep. The game developers assumed we bought every issue of Tomb Raider and felt no need to build up this super secret organization of fanatical Christian archeologist in there video game.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
I miss hanging out in here talking gaming all day long. We should make a Discord server or something.
Good idea. My discord is Exzander#4640 by the way, for any who want to chat or game or whatever.

edit - made a server, here is the invite link - https://discord.gg/RcQgh2 - it would be cool to get the handful of people on here in one place consistently.

So, Game of the Year this year, what are you thoughts? Honestly, looking back at all the games I've played this year the best game by a SUBSTANTIAL margin was Smash Ultimate if you count it (it came out December 7th, 2018). But if you want to be picky and it MUST be in 2019, then... I don't know. Probably Death Stranding believe it or not. Outer Worlds is good but has so many flaws and issues, Sekiro was good but wasn't all that great, I mean what else was there? Days Gone I just got recently and plan to jump into but I don't see it being spectacular, Borderlands 3 is just more Borderlands, etc. Really, the only game I don't have that came out this year that some seemed to really enjoy was Control, and to me it looks like a fairly generic (not combat wise) third person action adventure game. I might really enjoy it, but I doubt it would blow my mind or anything.

Honestly, Death Stranding was the only 2019 game that gave me something unique and interesting. It has some issues sure, it isn't some 10/10 masterpiece. But at the end of the day, it was certainly far more genuinely interesting than anything else I played. Shit, now that I'm thinking about it, this year was kind of lame ass when it came to gaming.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,276
Good idea. My discord is Exzander#4640 by the way, for any who want to chat or game or whatever.

edit - made a server, here is the invite link - https://discord.gg/RcQgh2 - it would be cool to get the handful of people on here in one place consistently.

So, Game of the Year this year, what are you thoughts? Honestly, looking back at all the games I've played this year the best game by a SUBSTANTIAL margin was Smash Ultimate if you count it (it came out December 7th, 2018). But if you want to be picky and it MUST be in 2019, then... I don't know. Probably Death Stranding believe it or not. Outer Worlds is good but has so many flaws and issues, Sekiro was good but wasn't all that great, I mean what else was there? Days Gone I just got recently and plan to jump into but I don't see it being spectacular, Borderlands 3 is just more Borderlands, etc. Really, the only game I don't have that came out this year that some seemed to really enjoy was Control, and to me it looks like a fairly generic (not combat wise) third person action adventure game. I might really enjoy it, but I doubt it would blow my mind or anything.

Honestly, Death Stranding was the only 2019 game that gave me something unique and interesting. It has some issues sure, it isn't some 10/10 masterpiece. But at the end of the day, it was certainly far more genuinely interesting than anything else I played. Shit, now that I'm thinking about it, this year was kind of lame ass when it came to gaming.
I haven't played enough to have a real opinion, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Resident Evil 2 remake. That game was extremely good if you like the earlier entries in that series.

EDIT: I joined that Discord. My Discord name is Terpinator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fiiiiinally got a real computer after some 10 or so years. I used to play CS:Source and TF2 at a cybercafe in middle school and now that I have a good PC I'm playing a lot of TF2, CS:GO and Apex

11261 - 11277 of 11277 Posts