Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still think he is (at least one of) the best pound for pound fighters despite his poor performance against Chael Sonnen. A few people on the board have said that GSP is now the undisputed P4P champ, GSP has lost though and Silva has not so how does that match up?? GSP does dominate using his wrestling, but contrary to the way Chael used his, GSP tends to solve and usually has boring decision victories. I'm not saying Silva has been entertaining in his last 3 or 4 fights but he does tend to finish fighters and puts on a more of a dominating display. Rather than GSPs lay and pray style.

Not trying to take anything away from GSP, hes definitely the best at 170 and I do think if anyone he has the tools to beat Anderson. I'm just trying to see why the same people that a month or two ago were backing Anderson have now jumped ship even though he won.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Poor performances happen,who cares?The guy hasn't been beaten in how long?He had bad ribs, couldn't move, couldn't stop takedowns because of it and people are already second guessing him...and he won!

Form is temporary and class is permanent.

He's p4p the top 2 greatest fighter on the planet

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
FYI, Silva is not undefeated he has 4 losses on his record (more than GSP). If there's anything that Silva's fight with Sonnen proved it's that GSP would definitely beat Silva in a p4p fight, and so he has to be #1 in my eyes.
Silva could be argued anywhere from 2-4 in the rankings i think, next to Fedor and Jose Aldo.

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
GSP does not lay n pray bro. Anderson is still a beast, it's just that Chael's wrestling is that good. When a fighter has wrestling on that level, they are impossible for almost anyone to beat. You need to have wrestling close to as good or have awesome Jitz to counter it. Mia is probably the worst match up for Sonnen. Anderson is actually a pretty good match up for Sonnen. I think GSP is the best and would beat Anderson but I have always thought that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I still think he is (at least one of) the best pound for pound fighters despite his poor performance against Chael Sonnen. A few people on the board have said that GSP is now the undisputed P4P champ, GSP has lost though and Silva has not so how does that match up?? GSP does dominate using his wrestling, but contrary to the way Chael used his, GSP tends to solve and usually has boring decision victories. I'm not saying Silva has been entertaining in his last 3 or 4 fights but he does tend to finish fighters and puts on a more of a dominating display. Rather than GSPs lay and pray style.

Not trying to take anything away from GSP, hes definitely the best at 170 and I do think if anyone he has the tools to beat Anderson. I'm just trying to see why the same people that a month or two ago were backing Anderson have now jumped ship even though he won.
I feel you man. He is still the P4P king in my book. The man had injured ribs, and was getting smashed on for 4 rounds and still pulled of the victory. He is the greatest MMA fighter in the world!

FYI, Silva is not undefeated he has 4 losses on his record (more than GSP). If there's anything that Silva's fight with Sonnen proved it's that GSP would definitely beat Silva in a p4p fight, and so he has to be #1 in my eyes.
Silva could be argued anywhere from 2-4 in the rankings i think, next to Fedor and Jose Aldo.
How the hell do you know he can beat Silva?

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
If things had played out as they should have after all the pre-fight, during fights hype of GSP v Silva..Silva willing to move down..before Dana muttered "Anderson Silva doesn't deserve GSP."

We would probably already have just watched Anderson Silva Vs GSP at 170lbs, now that fight is gone. It's about money Dana White won't GSP get tested by Anderson Silva. GSP's cleaned out the division and there are recycled fighters waiting in line to fight him next.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Five rounds and how many times did Chael get tagged. GSP is a phenomenal fighter and I give him mad respects. But "The Spider" will end it with a strike. You can count on it. His level of fighting is far beyond anybodys. He can improvise and as shown fight to the end without breaking physically and mentally. On top of that he's up two weight classes pretty much. Still a fight we gotta see, but man I have to see a A. Silva vs Shogun and JBJ matchup.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Poor performances happen,who cares?The guy hasn't been beaten in how long?He had bad ribs, couldn't move, couldn't stop takedowns because of it and people are already second guessing him...and he won!

he wouldn't have been able to stop the takedowns even if had good ribs.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
How the hell do you know he can beat Silva?
Because Sonnen dominated Silva for 23 minutes and would have won if he had any BJJ skills. GSP is a better striker, wrestler, and BJJ practictioner than Sonnen without question. GSP wouldnt have been caught in that triangle, and he would have walked out of that cage the Champion.
You'd have to be pretty delusional to think otherwise at this point IMO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
that's what an off night looks like when you're the best. you get beat up pretty bad and still win. He didn't lose, because he is better than chael, i think he would beat gsp big time. GSP's subs aren't that good, so i don't think he could finish him on the ground, and surely couldn't beat him in stand up. Silva is still absolutely #1 if you ask me.

·
Registered
597 Posts

i wasn't buying the ribs stuff because that seems to be the new thing now. Everyone complains after a ufc fight. Which means everyone, I guess, comes into a fight with injuries. Chael had food poisoning the week leading up to the fight and im sure that affected him.

Now moving on,... how many fighters do you know (not you, but im talking to the masses of mmaforums) that can take a beating for four and a half rounds and still pull out a win at the last possible second. Not many....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Because Sonnen dominated Silva for 23 minutes and would have won if he had any BJJ skills. GSP is a better striker, wrestler, and BJJ practictioner than Sonnen without question. GSP wouldnt have been caught in that triangle, and he would have walked out of that cage the Champion.
You'd have to be pretty delusional to think otherwise at this point IMO.
Well you have to consider that Sonnen is heavier and taller then GSP, and a better wrestler(Yea It's true). The size difference alone can change the whole fight. GSP will not be able to take shots from Silva, EVER!!!! even if it is a couple before he gets taken down(If he does get taken down) he will finish GSP because of length, size, accuracy, and power. Silva is not stupid, he will use his advantage and he will strike GSP to death i'd bet on it! You have to understand that just because sonnen did this to silva, doesn't mean GSP will! they are different.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Nonetheless, has Chael Sonnen come out is able to hurt anyone with his stand-up, daze anyone of the opening bell?

Sonnen popped him cleanly with an open shot on the button - on Anderson Silva, the most prolific striker UFC history. A guy renowned for both avoiding shots and landing shots with crisp accuracy and power off the bell.

If and when the rematch happens he's not going to get an opportunity to just come off the bell and tag Anderson on the chin and have Anderson throw haymakers in R1. That was anyone's opportunity if they wanted to beat up Anderson.

If Vitor was fighting that Anderson, that would of been over in the first round.

·
Gracie Hunter
1,021 Posts
Rather than GSPs lay and pray style.
There should be a script banning anyone who uses the the word GSP and "laynpray" In the same sentence. The guy Is one of the most active on the ground ever! Even more so than Sonnen which was happy staying In guard.

And GSP was already ahead of Silva on the P4P before this fight.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
I think Anderson solidified his position as best p4p, despite taking a kicking for 4 and a half rounds he still managed to pull out a triangle and win. He was 2 mins away from losing his title and he found a way to win instead of giving up.

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
GSP would destroy Silva ... anyone with top level wrestling and BJJ defense would.

GSP IMO happens to be an even better MMA wrestler than Sonnen ... I doubt you would see Sonnen dominate other top level wrestlers like Kos, Hughes and Fitch on the mat like GSP did, it takes an insane level of talent to repeatedly get an NCAA Div I champ pinned on his back let alone keep him there.

Even if GSP isn't as good a wrestler as Sonnen, it's irrelevant because Silva's TDD has always been mediocre... he got easily taken down by freaking Lutter. The man has just been lucky enough to be spend his entire career in a division with next to ZERO wrestling talent until Sonnen showed up. I don't think after 117 anyone can doubt GSP would put Silva on his back as easily as Sonnen did, like a lot of us have been claiming.

In fact I pretty much knew how the Sonnen fight would play out too, wrestler dumps Silva on his head and tools him badly for a long time, to the surprise of all Silva worshipers who just don't see the fundamental style clashes in MMA; but eventually he gets subbed late as always due to his crappy sub defense. But will Silva be able to sub a fellow BJJ BB like GSP who has survived and torn apart the likes of BJ Penn's guard? I highly doubt it ... Silva's in for a long night if this fight happens, and I've been saying it long before the Sonnen fight.

Bottomline GSP #1 p4p, 2nd Anderson and 3rd Fedor, though talent wise I still feel Fedor is the best but he did lose recently.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts

I think GSP actually puts on more dominant performances. He does what Chael did to Anderson to every single person which to me is as dominant as it gets.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Funny, when GSP was under pressure, he wilted and got beat by a second rate midget.

Silva goes under pressure, he guts it out and pulls out the victory. Hm, who is pound for pound again?

Listen, prior to this Sonnen fight, Anderson had the most UFC wins..UFC record, had the longest streak, UFC record, had the most title defenses in a row, UFC record, most accurate striker in UFC history, only lost 2 rounds in his entire UFC career. All UFC fights either ended in devestating finishes of complete dominance.

He is ALLOWED to have a bad showing. And here is what half of you lame shit pretentious Chael Sonnen fans don't understand, when you wake up from your fantasy world where championship fights are 23 minutes long...you'll soon realize that Anderson Silva has been the most dominant fighter in UFC history.

Not to mention, he has shown different portions of his game that we haven't seen yet. One, he can take punishment. Two, he has an incredible gas tank. Three, he has an incredible chin. Four, the guy has CHAMPIONSHIP heart...that's right, heart. Add ALL of those to the game that we previously knew he had, and it would makes him more versitile and a more dangerous fighter.

Yes, he is the best fighter in the world. No, GSP would not beat him at MW or catchweight, and no, Fedor or Jose Aldo are not ranked ahead of him. What are you people ******* retarded? p4p is NOT an overall career status. Jose Aldo hasen't done NEARLY enough in the sport to be ahead of Anderson. And Fedor lost, he lost people. Get over it. You cannot have a guy ranked in the top 2 p4p fighters in the world after taking a loss to a B-level opponent. It just doesn't happen. If ANYTHING, the Fedor loss solidified GSP's spot for the #2, but Anderson remains and will remain the best fighter in the world until he loses. Plain and simple. It's a hard pill to swallow for those banking on Silva losing, but it's the god honest truth. Trust me.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.