Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early 20's
Late 20's
Early 30's
Late 30's

·
Registered
362 Posts
honestly i believe in early childhood training, obviously not teaching a 2 year old how to check a kick or anything, but stretching, basic form, and all that..i wish i would have learned early (i started about age 8 or 9), the things i see these people who started as children do is ridiculous, it just comes so much easier to them.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Baby's kick while they're still in the womb, so I'd say about 3 months before birth. Just put some pads on the mother's baby belly and let him/her kick the stretch marks out of... ok, maybe I've taken this too far here.

Seriously, any age is ok I think. I have friends who were training in Judo and Karate when they were 5 or 6 years old. If you wanna compete in MMA the early bird catches the worm. Of course it depends on personal talent, but when you look at the new breed of world class fighters they're all still very young. Bones, JDS and Mousasi come to mind. All of them have at least 8-10 years left and they're already awesome.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I'd say around 12ish

Thats when I started boxing and I was ready to start then.

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
Hmmm I have kids that take mma classes at my gym ranging from Id say about 9 to 12/13ish and Id have to say the 12/13 ish kids seem to be soaking in the lessons more. The younger kids are just there because their parents take them I think. Their minds are in a million places besides the gym. I think its cool putting them in the mind set of wanting to learn I just dont think anything really sinks in except being comfortable in a gym setting....When I have kids I plan on getting them in at a young age just for that reason but I personaly think it really doesnt start sinking in till a little later

·
The Title Guy
18,080 Posts
Teens

I think they should start no younger than 14(high school). They need brain cells before that age in order to develope. Before that they should be involved in a martial art definately, but nothing like MMA. Something like wrestling, or karate or kung fu is as far as they should go. Anything else above that like boxing and they'll loose brain cells they need to develope while growing!

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
i think about 8 or 9 is a good age to start kids training in things like BJJ, judo or Karate because they involve techniques that take years to perfect. I personally started boxing at 14 i don't think boxing, kickboxing and Muay Thai should be started before that age because its simply too dangerous and many boxing techniques and kickboxing techniques will change as the person grows anyways.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Martial arts from 5-6 years old...but MMA i would say from 14-15 years old.
But it depends a lot on the body structure of the person. There are some kids who develop faster than others, meaning they caould start training sooner in MMA.

·
The Title Guy
18,080 Posts
Sooner

Yeah but as I've been saying the kid needs the brain cells to develope. That's why they shouldn't start any sooner than 14 years old. Until that point they need the brain cells to learn and unless you want a dumb kid than most likely you shouldn't get them involved in any hard sports until 14 years. Though as I've said before wrestling is a good base sport!

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Of course they shouldn't do Boxing or Sparring in general at a young age. That would be crazy^^ But there are so many great Martial Arts wich you can start doing as soon as you can walk. BJJ, Karate, TKD, Judo and on and on.. every one of them is awesome for children! Full Contact should be possible around the age of 14-16 I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts