Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple of fighters from the last Pride PPV got caught for taking steriods, and they are not the first people in MMA to get caught. I know that people have gotten cancer from taking steriods but I feel that is caused from abuse. Doctors prescribe steriods for common ailments such as snoring all the time so I dont think they are that dangerious for professional atletes to use in moderation. Right now people are take suppliments that have been out on the market for a very short time and that do not have to pass any tests by the FDA, creatine has been linked to heart cancer, which IMO is more dangerious than taking tested chemicals.

Drugs are apart of our daily culture (I drank 3 cups of coffee this morning), but if you ask most people they say they are against illegal drugs. Even thought some illegal drugs are safer than there legal counterpart (pot vs alchol).

Back to MMA I dont think that a stronger fighter is going to beat a weak fighter all the time. The skilled and intelgent fighter will almost always beat a mussle head. I am not saying that strenght does not matter but it is not the end all be all of MMA.

Now a days fighters have to look for any edge they can get over there compition. Which is why xyience logos apear in almost every UFC Fight. I think it would be safer to deal with know drugs than unknow chemicals that are not tested in an attemt to beat a drug test.

Also a lot of the fighters in MMA come from differnat backgrounds than us where are just trying to improve there situation in life. Look at how poor Russia and Brazil are those guys are fighting for there family, where as most of the people from the US are pretty spoiled. Even if they get caught using the money they make in MMA is well worth it. You will never be able to stop the use of 'roids with these people so why try?

I am not advicating the use of steriods and I have never used them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
sxrxnrr said:
...I know that people have gotten cancer from taking steriods but I feel that is caused from abuse... You will never be able to stop the use of 'roids with these people so why try?
You say why try and stop them, well should we try and stop people from selling crack and meth, or should it be available at the local Walmart? If they did not test for steroids then everyone wold be taking them and everyone would be abusing them to get a leg up on the other guy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CashKola said:
You say why try and stop them, well should we try and stop people from selling crack and meth, or should it be available at the local Walmart? If they did not test for steroids then everyone wold be taking them and everyone would be abusing them to get a leg up on the other guy.
Making drugs illegal does not stop people from doing them. If anything I think it makes younger people more atracted to them. If it is illegal it has to be good mentality.

I dont feel that 'roids are the same calaber of drug that meth or crack is, or they would not prescribe 'roids to people everyday. meth and cocain were both legal drugs at one time, and were dememed to have no medicial use by the Nixon administration.

I am not sure how people even get caught taking 'roids I have passes so many drug tests when I should not have. I believe they are just sloppy for getting caught. There are 'roids that get out of your system in 4 days, while others take over a year.

Buy not allowing steriods I feel it is more dangerous for fighters than making them use undetectable designer 'roids.

Again I do not use 'roids and I do not advicate them

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
they're illegal, for the most part, because they wrack havok on your body. your not meant to grow and stess the body like how you can when using roids... they are bad for you, and you suffer later in life. plus, i don't think we should be incouraging teens to take them, and allowing them in pro sports and dismissing their use is doing just that. sorry, but anything you have to take chemicals to perform better in, is ****ing stupid!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pt447 said:
they're illegal, for the most part, because they wrack havok on your body. your not meant to grow and stess the body like how you can when using roids... they are bad for you, and you suffer later in life. plus, i don't think we should be incouraging teens to take them, and allowing them in pro sports and dismissing their use is doing just that. sorry, but anything you have to take chemicals to perform better in, is ****ing stupid!!!
RU saying that taking supliments is stupid? I dont really agree if you are a pro fighter, you have to do what ever to stay on top of your game. I dont really believe that pro athletes live in the same world as the rest of us. Hell Magic beat AIDS.

I do agree that taking supliments is a gamble and not worth it for the average person. Like I said earlier they are not tested by the FDA and I dont think it is worth the risk.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
sxrxnrr said:
RU saying that taking supliments is stupid? I dont really agree if you are a pro fighter, you have to do what ever to stay on top of your game. I dont really believe that pro athletes live in the same world as the rest of us. Hell Magic beat AIDS.

I do agree that taking supliments is a gamble and not worth it for the average person. Like I said earlier they are not tested by the FDA and I dont think it is worth the risk.
i hope you were joking on that Magic comment... implying that he beat AIDS because he was an athlete??? :(

and a suppliment is one thing, if all it is, is vitimins. but to inject something into your body to unnaturally bulk up/increase speed/increase stamina/reduce pain/ect..

that's just stupid, proves that the fighter isn't naturally good at all, and promotes thousands of teens and kids to do the same thing...

if you use something to make you better at a sport than you would be naturally, chemically speaking, then what's the point???:dunno:

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
CashKola said:

Good point, very good point.

The point is it makes us fighters who DONT use them look bad, its pathetic that they don't want to work hard and train hard like most people have to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Steroids dont really give a huge advantage as it takes large amounts of them to really do something. It is just the fact that they give one, and what little they give is unfair and that should never be allowed. Personally, I think anyone ever caught with steroids who wants to compete again should be branded on their forehead as a user, so we know who to boo

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bob Sacramento said:
Steroids dont really give a huge advantage as it takes large amounts of them to really do something. It is just the fact that they give one, and what little they give is unfair and that should never be allowed. Personally, I think anyone ever caught with steroids who wants to compete again should be branded on their forehead as a user, so we know who to boo
Many fighters and athletes who abuse steroids are branded by their giant, bulging foreheads.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That's like saying "whats wrong with fighting dirty, grabing the cage, eye gouging, cheating"... I mean anything to win right?

Wrong.

A steroid users glory is short lived...they shine brightly for a while and then their body starts to deteriorate and break down...and when you lose your health nothing else matters. At the end do you think a guy like Lyle Alzado wouldn't have given up every nickle he ever made and every ounce of his fame and glory to be healthy and alive? Don't you think that even in their own minds the athletes who achieve greatness through steroid uses live a tormented existence knowing that the didn't earn it? That they dont deserve it? What difference does it make if the world thinks you're great but inside you know that you're a worthless fraud?

You need to mature and develop the ability to think beyond the moment before you make permanent life altering decisions. You need to be smarter, to educate yourself and stop hearing only what you want to hear and ignoring reality. Until you learn that you're just a punk.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Making drugs illegal does not stop people from doing them. If anything I think it makes younger people more atracted to them. If it is illegal it has to be good mentality.
This statement doesn't make much sense to me, claiming that by making them a normal part of MMA matches people will be less likely to take them than if they're illegal? That's just silly.
In the training and nutrition part of this forum, there's guys who're fourteen years old and are using creatine. That's legal stuff, and i'm telling you if 'roids were legal, they'd be pounding them like they were going out of style.

·
Registered
253 Posts
sxrxnrr said:
Back to MMA I dont think that a stronger fighter is going to beat a weak fighter all the time. The skilled and intelgent fighter will almost always beat a mussle head. I am not saying that strenght does not matter but it is not the end all be all of MMA.

Also a lot of the fighters in MMA come from differnat backgrounds than us where are just trying to improve there situation in life. Look at how poor Russia and Brazil are those guys are fighting for there family, where as most of the people from the US are pretty spoiled. Even if they get caught using the money they make in MMA is well worth it. You will never be able to stop the use of 'roids with these people so why try?

I am not advicating the use of steriods and I have never used them.
To be great in MMA, Fighters need both strength and talent. One of the two will bring you no where (cough cough Royce vs Hughes).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeti said:
This statement doesn't make much sense to me, claiming that by making them a normal part of MMA matches people will be less likely to take them than if they're illegal? That's just silly.
In the training and nutrition part of this forum, there's guys who're fourteen years old and are using creatine. That's legal stuff, and i'm telling you if 'roids were legal, they'd be pounding them like they were going out of style.
Creatine is not as dangerious as steriods but it is very dangerous, esp. when you are 14. If kids are 14 and they are on supliments, more than likely they will be doing steriods sooner or later. It is a fact that there is a steriod problem with young people.

If you are reading this and you are under 20 years old, your body has all the chemicals and hormones in it that it needs. Do not mess with this balence. Just because supliments are legal, does not mean that they are healthy. The suppliment business is not regulated properly, the people pushing supliments are as dangerious as people pushing illegal drugs.

I was also not talking about kids when I wrote this post. I was talking about professional athletes. Kids here about people Barry Bonds, Shawne Marriman and many others that are 'roid sucess stories. They very rarely here about the negitive side, like Lyle Alzato.

Drugs are a very complicated subject, I am not going to change anybodies mind I am just tring to show a differant view point. My point is the current approch on drugs does not work, and things need to change. The way for that to happen is through education not litigation.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mr. Bungle said:
That's like saying "whats wrong with fighting dirty, grabing the cage, eye gouging, cheating"... I mean anything to win right?

Wrong.

A steroid users glory is short lived...they shine brightly for a while and then their body starts to deteriorate and break down...and when you lose your health nothing else matters. At the end do you think a guy like Lyle Alzado wouldn't have given up every nickle he ever made and every ounce of his fame and glory to be healthy and alive? Don't you think that even in their own minds the athletes who achieve greatness through steroid uses live a tormented existence knowing that the didn't earn it? That they dont deserve it? What difference does it make if the world thinks you're great but inside you know that you're a worthless fraud?

You need to mature and develop the ability to think beyond the moment before you make permanent life altering decisions. You need to be smarter, to educate yourself and stop hearing only what you want to hear and ignoring reality. Until you learn that you're just a punk.
Good Post. I tend to agree. You mention Lyle Alzado;what about that guy who testified against a certain famous wrestling promoter, the guy who went by the wrestling moniker "SuperStar Billy Graham?" They said that steroids had turned the bones of his body into dust;at the trial he was on crutches because he couldn't walk. And he's dead now-I am sure he'd rather be alive now, that given a choice, he'd choose being alive over what money he made in that relatively brief period of time.
Another thing- a doctor I know insists that steroids do a number on a guy's testicles.He insists that if you mess with steroids long enough, you won't be able to come out for the bell sexually.If this is true, and the guy I'm talking about went to Yale Medical School, so I tend to believe him, but, if this is true, I'd rather be a champ with the hotties as opposed to a champ for a very short while in the fight game.
Sincerely,Ferdelance

·
Banned
723 Posts
Actaully, 'SuperStar' Billy Graham is very much alive and has made his peace with Vince McMahon. He has admitted that he only testified again him because he was bitter at the business. He was using steroids long before he got into wrestling.

Pogo

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
If I eat more steak than my opponents do I have an "unfair" advantage? What if I buy the latest Bowflex and my opponent can't afford one because he went to public school and works at Wal-Mart as a greeter? My point is that we all have decisions to make about what will and what will not help us achieve our goals. Some people think that steroids gives them an edge so they use them, some people think the risks of using steroids are too high and don't use them. I think that we should be free to choose.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
theboz19 said:
If I eat more steak than my opponents do I have an "unfair" advantage? What if I buy the latest Bowflex and my opponent can't afford one because he went to public school and works at Wal-Mart as a greeter? My point is that we all have decisions to make about what will and what will not help us achieve our goals. Some people think that steroids gives them an edge so they use them, some people think the risks of using steroids are too high and don't use them. I think that we should be free to choose.
dude, if you don't see the differents betwee steroids and bowflex... please stay out of the discussion!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts