Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished watching the newest episode

SPOILERS

And Roy Nelson did not win that ****ing fight, he definitely didn't deserve a majority decision.

i hate ufc judges

·
Registered
291 Posts
WTF TUF fight (spoiler inside)

I wanted the title to say how the fu** did the judges give that to Roy in the first round? The first round was all Justin. Sometimes I really can't see what the judges are watching. When they said the fight was over after the second I thought Justin won. I felt the first round was all Justin and the second round was a close round but with Roy edging it out. There should have been a third, which at that pace the outcome would probably have been the same, but still.
Is the judging on the TUF show even worse then the rest of MMA?

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
I definitely thought it would go to a third round, but the time suggested otherwise. Roy definitely picked up the pace towards the end of the first, but not enough to win him the round, as Wren had him rocked quite a few times. And while Roy definitely appeared to be the fresher fighter in the second round, again, I don't think he did enough to win him a decision after two rounds. But, as Dana said, Justin seemed pretty gassed by the end of the second, so would a third have made any difference? Still, I thought the judges jumped the gun on this one.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
It seems like the main judging criteria for the judges this year is cardio. They just seem to go with whoever gases the least. Not cool, but whatever dude, its only TUF it doesnt matter that much if you win as long as you put on a good fight.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I actually don't think Justin was landing as much as many think, watching the first I was confused because I wasn't sure how to score the missed of glancing blows that Justin was throwing or how many were actually connecting and how many Nelson was backing away for, not actually being there its hard to tell. I thought Justin maybe eeked out round 1 and Nelson rather clearly took the second but I really wouldn't have felt like either guy got robbed regardless of how the decision went.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was surprised this didn't go to a 3rd round.

Wren won the first round, maybe not as strongly as Dana seemed to think but at least enough. Looking at the time left on my DVR I thought 'oh Nelson must lose the 2nd round' or 'someone gets finished'. I was quite surprised when Roy seemed to solidly win the 2nd round, leaving me with a head scratcher as who the winner was.

If a third round happened, Roy would have won, probably finishing a very tired Justin...but not to have a third round was a little strange.

On a side note, does anyone else notice the intense dislike that Dana has for Roy? Guess coming from another promotion puts you pretty far on the bad side (unless you are a proven draw, like Kimbo heh).

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Dana is mad because he wants Roy to lose, Nelson from a marketability stand point would be the worst TUF winner ever and Dana knows it, Dana has spent years trying to convince people the fighters are athletes and frankly Roy does not look like an athlete.

·
The Revolution
3,018 Posts
The first round could of been 10-10, Roy got his ass kicked for the first couple minutes but then turned it around. Roy easily won the second round.

Justin is lucky it didn't go to a 3rd. My guess is he would of gotten a lot more hurt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there should be a petition to get rid of these retard former boxing judges and get people who truly understand and lived the sport themselves to judge.

couture has suggested himself and others when they retire to become judges. i think thats a great idea and commission needs to do something about these guys.

theres been many poor decisions in ufc, but this decision was just flat out ridiculous, first, no 3rd round? OK... but roy wins??? WHAT?!? and whats that? he won by MAJORITY?!?! these judges are smoking crack! !!! !

justin shoulda won by split decision, it was a close match.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Wren was done for, all that would have happen is Wren would have gotten his head beat on some more. It would have been pointless. Wren's a great fighter with a lot of potential, but Nelson won that fight.

·
Registered
367 Posts
In my opinion neither fighter won that fight. 1st round went to Wren, 2nd round Nelson picked him apart. There should have been a 3rd round.

·
Necks are for sheep
745 Posts
I also was a little bit confused.

First round went to Wren, In my opinion 10-8 but even if it was 10-9... The second round was close... if Nelson won it, he didn't win it 10-8... so how was there no 3rd round?

I know I'm no judge... it just seems odd to me that these things happen.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
I thought it would of gone to the 3rd, but i wasnt surprised Roy won though. The first round was pretty close, after Wrens little burst he had he didnt really do anything else and roy didnt do much either but was landing more strikes, i could of seen the 1st go either way really just depends how you score it.

Wren was pretty done after the 2nd anyway, not that makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
This is what happens with round by round scoring. Judges don't say well this is a close fight and I gave that guy round 1 so I'll give this guy round 2. They just score the round and you can end up with razor close fights that one judge scores 30-27 for fighter A and another judge scores 30-27 for fighter B.

That is the problem with using a round by round system and then not having anywhere near enough rounds for it to work properly. It isn't the judges fault, it is designed for 8+ rounds. When you have 2 or 3 round fights you are going to get strange scores frequently.

FWIW I scored it 20-18 Nelson. Wren landed heavier shots in round 1 but he never had Nelson hurt and Nelson landed more shots in round 1. It was very close and you could have easily given it to Wren but I gave round 1 to Nelson.

Round 2 was still close but Nelson again landed a bit more and was obviously fresher so I gave it to him. 20-18 Nelson.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I also was a little bit confused.

First round went to Wren, In my opinion 10-8 but even if it was 10-9... The second round was close... if Nelson won it, he didn't win it 10-8... so how was there no 3rd round?

I know I'm no judge... it just seems odd to me that these things happen.
Man do I agree----This season is as crappy as the pass two or even worse???? Dang they are going to need to realy step it up on these TUF shows.

I have always said that these judges SUX A$$. I had it 1 to 1 going to a third for sure--- :angry08: blahhhh.

O

·
It's Hammer Time!
9,589 Posts
I might be the only one, but I thought Roy clearly won round 1. Wren landed some big shots in the beginning of the round (which NEVER put Roy in danger of getting knocked out, no matter what Dana said), but after that Roy was in command and was landing some shots of his own and always had a counter left hand for Wren. Watch it, he's landing it ooooover and over. The only thing controversial about the decision was the replay they edited to make it look like Roy did nothing in round 1 and was nearly finished.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I scored it one round a piece, but I can see a clear argument for Roy in the first, it CERTAINLY was not a 10-8 round for Wren. The second was a clear 10-9 for Roy.

I don’t think it is controversial at all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually don't think Justin was landing as much as many think, watching the first I was confused because I wasn't sure how to score the missed of glancing blows that Justin was throwing or how many were actually connecting and how many Nelson was backing away for, not actually being there its hard to tell. I thought Justin maybe eeked out round 1 and Nelson rather clearly took the second but I really wouldn't have felt like either guy got robbed regardless of how the decision went.
agree, I'm no beerbelly fan unless you got mad skills, but Roy turned it around at the end of the first, and blocked alot of shots , 2nd was all roy,

I think it was fine srry. 1 judge did score it 19/19, i would of have gave it to Roy

Perfect match to sum this up would be UFC 104 Machida vs Shogun, shogun put all the pressure but Machida landed the cleaner punches and took little damage,

or you could argue the BJ Penn vs GSP "1" where Penn only hit GSP once and it "Jacked" up his :eye/nose:. Penn lost and could go drink at the bar, and GSP had to have surgery.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts