Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you think about it, most of the guys that left ufc were having trouble with their career when the strated with pride. it's not like they were on top, and just decided "hey, forget the ufc, i'm going to japan"..barnett, coleman, wanderlei, vitor, baroni, lawler....im sure you guys can think of a few others. what is it that makes them rise to the occasion in pride?? of course you have some that where really good that went straight to pride, like guys from the chute boxe camp and the other european guys..but the americans are usually on their way down. but they come to pride and revitalize their career. i know one big difference is that pride doesnt give up on their fighters easy. i guess they just figure we have the best guys in the world, so there is no shame in loosing a few. thoughts??

·
Premium Member
5,495 Posts
I think it comes down to talent and the ability to learn from other fighters. It's not the money because Fedor(HW Champ) was paid $100,000 win or lose against Coleman while someone like Liddell can get $200,000 per fight. The fighting atmosphere in Japan is different than America so that could be a big draw for fighters, also.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
It's not money, it's the fans. Trust me, Barnett went over to Japan and now he trains there, because he loves the attention that he gets walking down the street. These guys are like celebrities in Japan. If they lose (like Gomi did against Aurelio) then they have to go into secluded training, at least for a little while, just to get over the shame of the loss.

The Japanese take this stuff way more seriously than we do, as do the Russians, the Brazilians, basically any other country. The fans know the ins and outs of their fighters.

If you ask a Japanese fan "Who's your favorite MMA fighter?" They won't give you a list of five like people do in the states, they'll give you one. They can tell you when his birthday is, where he trains, in what style, for how long, some of them even know their favorites training regimen.

This is the kind of fanatacism about MMA that just doesn't exist on our side of the ocean. Hopefully it will soon.

Also: I'm sure the loser regulations don't hurt.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The reason why people who are losing in the UFC go to pride is simple. The UFC is somewhat quick to stop scheduling fighters, 2 or 3 losses in a row, and your out. So that leaves some great fighters without a job simply because they have had bad luck. Then pride, who had a larger organization in Japan needs fighters for openers, and if they can get a big name, who is a little down on his luck to fight for cheap they will do it. Why? Because people like robbie lawler may have a few losses, but are still great entertaining fighters. The UFC seems to have a habit of putting a fighter out if they dont seem to have much chance of taking the title...

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NOLA_JACK said:
Im not going to bother debating anything in that statement but the pay... Fedor got 100,000 chuck gets twice that
fedor probably gets a % of the ppv. but the money isnt what i was talking about. i dont think the money is what motivates these guys to fight harder. maybe its just that warrior spirit that you feel in japan. i know how josh feels, when i visited i never wanted to leave. im actually studying japanese now.

·
F*ck You I Rhyme Better
2,458 Posts
IronMan said:
It's not money, it's the fans. Trust me, Barnett went over to Japan and now he trains there, because he loves the attention that he gets walking down the street. These guys are like celebrities in Japan. If they lose (like Gomi did against Aurelio) then they have to go into secluded training, at least for a little while, just to get over the shame of the loss.

The Japanese take this stuff way more seriously than we do, as do the Russians, the Brazilians, basically any other country. The fans know the ins and outs of their fighters.

If you ask a Japanese fan "Who's your favorite MMA fighter?" They won't give you a list of five like people do in the states, they'll give you one. They can tell you when his birthday is, where he trains, in what style, for how long, some of them even know their favorites training regimen.

This is the kind of fanatacism about MMA that just doesn't exist on our side of the ocean. Hopefully it will soon.

Also: I'm sure the loser regulations don't hurt.
lmfao at "they can tell you when his birthday is"

·
Banned
723 Posts
Maybe because the competition is GENERALLY not as stiff.

I mean what other reason can there be for say a Phil Baroni who lost 5 of his 7 fights in the UFC suddenly getting a much higher win-lose ratio in Pride.

Or Mark Coleman. He lost his last three UFC fights in the mid 90s but as soon as he got to Pride he starts a good winning streak.

Barnett on the other hand left because he uses steroids and the UFC wouldn't let him compete.

Pogo

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pogo the Clown said:
Maybe because the competition is GENERALLY not as stiff.

I mean what other reason can there be for say a Phil Baroni who lost 5 of his 7 fights in the UFC suddenly getting a much higher win-lose ratio in Pride.

Or Mark Coleman. He lost his last three UFC fights in the mid 90s but as soon as he got to Pride he starts a good winning streak.

Barnett on the other hand left because he uses steroids and the UFC wouldn't let him compete.

Pogo
what ever reason they left they all still came to pride and have had good runs. none of them left because they beat everybody and wanted to challenge themselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.