Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear alot of people saying Dana overreacted with Daley and I am wondering what the real impact of his actions will be. Aside from the obvious bad press my biggest concern is Dana and the UFC have spent huge amounts of money and invested a lot of time pushing for regulation of MMA in Ontario and for the amendments to the federal criminal code that the Ontario government has said are necessary. Dana himself has met with people, they had GSP visit parliament, Joe Silva has went up and met with them and Marc Ratner has spent a considerable amount of time and energy pushing for it. The UFC puts on an event as close to there backyard as is legally and economically feasible and after all the talk about fighters being athletes and not thugs or street fighters one of the fighters involved goes out and acts like just that. What do you think this means for places that still have not regulated MMA. With the brawl in Strikeforce and now this has MMA taken a couple steps back in relation to opening up new areas?

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Dana overreacted yes it was wrong but i think he just punished daley to show he was not a hypocrite. He did criticize strikeforce so not punishing daley would send mix messages. I think is Dana wants to open MMA he has to change himself the constant swearing does not send a good message to politician. They see Dana's personality and assume it with MMA. If Strike force had the talent like the ufc they could possible do a better job opening MMA in places which ban it.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Honestly i dont think it will have a bad impact on MMA at all. The sport is here to stay so people are going to have to live with it. I would actually say that the sucker punch brought more attention to the event which in my opinion is a good thing. This isnt the first Sucker Punch to take place in sports so its not like this proves that MMA is for ********. If that were the case then every single sport is for ********.

Also the people that think DANA is overreacting are just too forgiving. Lucky enough Kos blocked the punch but if he didn't he easily cud have been dropped. There is no place for that in MMA and totally goes against anything iv seen from MMA fighters so far. Also Dana talked to Daley and asked him if he wants to fight in the UFC and he just kinda shrugged him off. Now that he realizes how bad he f'ed up he is going to apologize?? Yeah ok Daley... you aint nothing but a punk and i hope you lose your place in MMA.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure that Strikeforce would have the ability to open market new markets. I think you underrate not only Dana White (who I guarantee does not talk to goverment officials the way he does at post fight conferences.I mean he turned it off for Dr. Phil) but the effectiveness of Mark Ratner who has a wealth of experience with regulation from the side of the Athletic Commissions and also Lorenzo Ferttita who served on the Nevada state Athletic Commission before buying the UFC.

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
It doesn't have any impact. I didn't see any major outlets really covering it and even if they did almost no one would care and it would be over in half a day.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
I honestly don't think it's going to do anything. The only people that know about it are the people who watched UFC 113 or went out of their way to find out. Not much media coverage on it.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I dont think as badly for the UFC because Dana is acting so quickly, hopefully people realize it's not the UFC it was one man's actions. Coker did a terrible job after the Strikeforce mess and that is the difference IMO....:thumbsup:

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I dont think as badly for the UFC because Dana is acting so quickly, hopefully people realize it's not the UFC it was one man's actions. Coker did a terrible job after the Strikeforce mess and that is the difference IMO....:thumbsup:
Agreed. Dana acted much quicker and put the blame on the correct person unlike Coker blaming the victim.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Since Daley got fired on the spot I don't think it's going to have such a big impact. Plus Daley isn't such a big deal to be honest. He's just another fighter. The Strikeforce brawl was will have bigger consequences because three champions were involved. Champions are supposed to be exemplary sportsmen and role models for other athletes. And in addition to that, Strikeforce punished the victim instead of the culprits.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think Dana acting the way he did probably helped. You actually got to see what happens when things don't go right. Which in this case was an immediate action that will definitely have other fighters more worried about doing this type of thing themselves.

How do you pay for sex and then **** someone? Unless services were refused and he was offered a refund and he said screw it?
Not following this one. Who are you talking about?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't see it as having any negative longlasting effects. If Daley had badly hurt KOS, then it might have some, but since Daley couldn't even land a cheap shot , most people will have forgotten it by the next card.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Zidane, one of the greatest footballers EVER, headbutted an opponent to the chest in a WORLD CUP FINAL! Easily the biggest sporting event in the world. It was his last ever game and supposed to be a big send off for him, so as you can imagine, all the cameras were on him like hawks.​

Tyson. Hollyfield. Ear with piece missing. Dont make me recount this horrible mess.​

As I mentioned in another thread which was ignored : Gilbert Yvels. Knocked out a ref!... with a little kick while he was down for good measure.​

Roy Keane of Manchester United ( god bless him ) very deliberately went into a challenge to break another chaps legs. He went on to admit it in a book.​

All the above have been as negative for their respective sports as a kilo of the finest cocaine at an orgy.​

Sport. I love it.​

·
Registered
603 Posts
I hear alot of people saying Dana overreacted with Daley and I am wondering what the real impact of his actions will be. Aside from the obvious bad press my biggest concern is Dana and the UFC have spent huge amounts of money and invested a lot of time pushing for regulation of MMA in Ontario and for the amendments to the federal criminal code that the Ontario government has said are necessary. Dana himself has met with people, they had GSP visit parliament, Joe Silva has went up and met with them and Marc Ratner has spent a considerable amount of time and energy pushing for it. The UFC puts on an event as close to there backyard as is legally and economically feasible and after all the talk about fighters being athletes and not thugs or street fighters one of the fighters involved goes out and acts like just that. What do you think this means for places that still have not regulated MMA. With the brawl in Strikeforce and now this has MMA taken a couple steps back in relation to opening up new areas?
No, you get people acting like muppets in every sport, this should have no effect on mma.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I dont think it will have any impact on MMA other than a few journalists/media outlets like Jim Rome spending 30 seconds burning on Daley for it. As far as Daley it still isn't out of the realm of possiblity he could get fined and or suspended by the athletic commission.

·
Great Googly Moogly!
1,407 Posts
I'm afraid the effect this will have on MMA could be very powerful.

This is a pretty dire situation for the sport. The two biggest events in the US have had post-fight altercations. The biggest event in Japan had a situation similar to this (the Aoki arm break) just a few months back. Suddenly the ignorant statement "this kind of stuff happens in MMA" is validated and the sport looks like it's filled with a bunch of bloodthirsty thugs.

That kind of negative press can't be undone quickly. Having GSP, Rich Franklin, and Randy Couture do a nationwide PR tour isn't going to help. The sport can quickly be given a very negative stigma. Especially considering the Anderson Silva antics just last month. Things are getting out of hand and quick.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
Its the end of mma, we're all doomed....of course not. Stuff like this doesn't reflect on the sport as a whole, any news outlet with half a brain can tell this wasn't planned or endorsed by the ufc. Its over and done with, stop obsessing over nothing. Sometimes I wonder if MMA was the first introduction to sports for a lot of you guys. Crap like this happens so let's move on already.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts