Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Rua is out for at least a yr. . .never saw that comming. So I am wandering if they plan on haveing a interm bout. personally Id like to see Rich have a shot.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
If they do a interim it will most likely be Rashad vs .............

It's kinda unclear at this time.

I'd personally love to see a rematch between Machida and Rashad, as I dont think Rashad will come into the fight with a game plan as horrible as the first time around.

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
Rashad vs somebody for interim belt I would say... But who? If only Silva would move on up, but we know he doesn't want Machida's belt :/ and he's preoccupied in his own division ATM

Lyoto comes to mind as well, but I would like for him to win another fight before getting close to the belt again...

Franklin might actually be a possibility, even though his last W was in the division below this one...

Whatever happens, it will be interesting to follow :)

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
If Bones wins his upcoming bout, I'll bet my right testicle it'll be him vs Rashad. If he doesn't, it'll be Nog-ette.

That's where my money is.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Well we could have Rashad vs Rodrigo, and then Rampage vs Lyoto, but the latter will not happen since Rampage has a chubby for griffen.

Then Jones is tied up with Vladimir Matyushenku(sp?). Thiago is fighting Boetsch. Franklin is hurt. So in terms of the LHW division maybe a time of sorting out till Shogun gets back.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
What's the point of having an interim belt? It's just the number one contender with a fancy name. It means literally nothing to have an interim champion.
Either strip him of the belt or let him keep it. But no more interim shit.

I say let him keep it and have Rashad wait. Rua isn't even going to be out that long compared to how often the other champions fight.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Johnny Bones VS Rashad would be nice as long as he wins in Aug.

With Machida/Rich in a rematch for the #1 contender slot.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Well we could have Rashad vs Rodrigo, and then Rampage vs Lyoto, but the latter will not happen since Rampage has a chubby for griffen.

Then Jones is tied up with Vladimir Matyushenku(sp?). Thiago is fighting Boetsch. Franklin is hurt. So in terms of the LHW division maybe a time of sorting out till Shogun gets back.
I so wanna rep you for saying that but I gotta spread the love first......:)

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Johnny Bones VS Rashad would be nice as long as he wins in Aug.
They´ve matched him with a 40 yo guy, how can he not win that fight?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I can't believe I'm seeing so many people in favor of Rich Franklin getting a title shot any time in the near future. He beats a sub-20 LHW in Chuck Liddell and now it's talk about title contention? In my opinion there are 10 LHW's in the UFC that are better qualified for a title shot than he is. Since Shogun is out for this long, and an interim belt seems to be what might happen, I think honestly the best matchup for the interim belt would be Rashad/Machida rematch.

Or better thought, if Shogun is really out for a full year, than strip him of his belt. Then, when he comes back make his first fight against what would be the LHW champ so that he can possibly regain the title.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Rashad vs somebody for interim belt I would say... But who? If only Silva would move on up, but we know he doesn't want Machida's belt :/ and he's preoccupied in his own division ATM

Lyoto comes to mind as well, but I would like for him to win another fight before getting close to the belt again...

Franklin might actually be a possibility, even though his last W was in the division below this one...

Whatever happens, it will be interesting to follow :)
I would rather see the best fight possible than see them punish Man for losing. In fact, I don't even get that whole he has to wait stuff

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
though I hate to say it Evans/Jones would deff be a killer match up. Not that I am really a big fan of either, but I would deff like to see that 1.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The only way to keep the LHW division exciting while Rua is out is to give Jon Jones a shot at Rashad after he beats Matyushenko!

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Sorry everyone, but I doubt you will see Jones vs Rashad. They train together at Greg Jackson's camp.
Yep, such a shame too.

I think Bones is ready right now to compete with Rashad, Rua and Machida.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
I'd love to see Silva move up against Rashad. I think it's a really intriguing matchup. If not Jones, the winner of Rampage vs NOG (UFC 119), or Machida are your only really available viable options. Machida hasn't fought since Shogun knocked him out but it's for the interim title so it's basically a #1 contender match so I don't have a problem with it. Jones hasn't beaten 1 ranked fighter. I don't see how he's earned it. If Rampage wins, he just lost to Rashad. I think he needs to win again before getting another shot at Rashad. If NOG wins, he might be an option, but this fight takes place in late September, so the earliest the interim LHW title fight can be is December. So I think Machida is the best option.

What will probably happen? Couture beats Toney and gets a shot.

·
The Fun Police
11,565 Posts
Didnt they say the Bones wouldnt be ready to get mixed up in title contention for at least a year or so? I'm sure i remember Dana saying something to that effect after he beat Vera?

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Didnt they say the Bones wouldnt be ready to get mixed up in title contention for at least a year or so? I'm sure i remember Dana saying something to that effect after he beat Vera?
True, but that was before the Rua injury. And with my fellow MMAF members pointing out ( rightfully ) that Bones wont fight Rashad due to Jackson love, the options look really thin. So much for the "stacked" LHW division.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts