Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

What's next for Rich Franklin?

2K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Wombatsu 
#1 ·
Rich is down for now but he will get back on his feet and fight another day! Who should he fight next to build himself up to a title shot?

#5 ·
I think Nathan Marquet would be a good fight for him. Maybe even Chris Leben, Lousiou rematch?

Its tough to say, matters how long it takes for his nose to heal, and then it also matters whos lost/won to who in between that time.

I think its to early to say.

#6 ·
He should fight some nobody. Get his confidence back up there. The guy clearly wasn't mentally prepared, and if he was then he might as well retire. Where did he get the idea he could out clinch Silva. Who the hell told you that, Gurgel? Little advice Rich, stop taking advice from a guy who blames his knee for everything.

#7 ·
Here's what I think should happen and most likely will...but only if the standings stay the same for a while...

First Fight: Chris Leben
Second Fight: Dean Lister
Third Fight: Mike Swick
Fourth fight: Nate Marquardt for #1 contender rights
If he wins that then he should be back for the title, and if he loses again then who knows

#8 ·
ZZtigerZZ81 said:
He should fight some nobody. Get his confidence back up there. The guy clearly wasn't mentally prepared, and if he was then he might as well retire. Where did he get the idea he could out clinch Silva. Who the hell told you that, Gurgel? Little advice Rich, stop taking advice from a guy who blames his knee for everything.
Gurgel :laugh:

#10 ·
Perhaps Rich Franklin should fight Ken Shamrock - that would be a pretty even matchup at this point, or maybe the guy that fought after Franklin/Silva with the long curly hair. I also think Ralph Maccio (Karate Kid) might do well against Franklin. I heard he started training again.

#11 ·
It never seems to amaze me how many ppl on these forums cant wait to write fighters off. if some of u truly understand the game you wouldnt be saying such silly comments. Anyone that has been involved in the fight game knows losses are part of the game. Rich lost so what, Arlovski lost also and he got written off also - watch him come back next year. Bj penn lost, matt hughes lost, Cro-cop and Silva lost - get over it.

One loss doesnt make rich franklin a bad fighter, he had a bad day at the office, he simply goes back heals up then trains hard fights in January/Feb and makes a comeback. Plain and simple.

Anderson deserves credit he outplanned rich today and was the better man on the day.

#12 ·
Wombatsu said:
It never seems to amaze me how many ppl on these forums cant wait to write fighters off. if some of u truly understand the game you wouldnt be saying such silly comments. Anyone that has been involved in the fight game knows losses are part of the game. Rich lost so what, Arlovski lost also and he got written off also - watch him come back next year. Bj penn lost, matt hughes lost, Cro-cop and Silva lost - get over it.

One loss doesnt make rich franklin a bad fighter, he had a bad day at the office, he simply goes back heals up then trains hard fights in January/Feb and makes a comeback. Plain and simple.

Anderson deserves credit he outplanned rich today and was the better man on the day.
Very goodpoint:thumbsup: . And your only unbeatable if your fighting the wrong people. Losses make fighters stronger in more ways then most would think.

#13 ·
Personally, I think it was a stupid fight for Franklin to take right after his 9 month layoff. He should have had a tune up with an easier fight, just to get his rhytm back. I hope he trains up, heals his nose and gets a rematch. Maybe he'll lose again, but at least he might have abetter showing.

#17 ·
bimmu said:
Naw, TUF4 was to get a title shot, so it'll be winner Vs Silva. A short comeback.

TUF4 winner is going to get demolished. As for Anderson Silva...

Silva vs Chuck Lidell anyone? Silva could easily go tot he 205 weight class by adding a lil more lean mass.

Although I guess that would be really doubtful. The UFC surely doesn't want someone abandoning the belt instantly...Only BJ penn would have the will to do something like that. Still that would be a striking dream come true...almost as much so as the other silva vs lidell

#19 ·
Something don't smell right

:dunno: Is it just me or did Rich look like he was beat from the time he started his walk to the ring? He sure didn't look confident;almost like he knew what was going to happen. I still can't believe that , this was his first fight after being out for 6 months. How long could he really of had to train,and get back into fighting shape. The whole thing was strange!!! That was not the Rich Franklin that I know. No doubt Silva is bad ass and has crazy skills. Anyway...... something isn't quite right about the whole thing.: Rich will be back and I believe when he does eventually fight Silva again it will be a different outcome.

#20 ·
bimmu said:
Personally, I think it was a stupid fight for Franklin to take right after his 9 month layoff. He should have had a tune up with an easier fight, just to get his rhytm back. I hope he trains up, heals his nose and gets a rematch. Maybe he'll lose again, but at least he might have abetter showing.

How is it fair to give any fighter a "warm up" fight? How biased can you be man you're saying he should have faught a can first? Yea that'll gain the UFC some rep for sure! He (was) the undefeated UFC champion and you are saying he should have faught someone who didn't deserve a title shot so he could win....how is that fair and how is that entertaining?

#21 · (Edited)
What was up with Franklin anyway? He looked like he's gotten his ass kicked before he even got into the ring! He had a nasty half moon shiner and his obliques were twitching like a crack *****'s esophagus after a good paycheck. He looked like shit. Something was very wrong with his condition or conditioning and I wonder if he cut weight in a bad way and overtrained or just sparred with somebody that got a little carried away because he did not look like the Rich Franklin I have seen in the recent past. Something was very wrong there, franklin does not just get his ass dominated like that by anybody, he should have been able to put up a better fight than that.

Thrown?

#22 ·
JWangSDC said:
TUF4 winner is going to get demolished. As for Anderson Silva...

Silva vs Chuck Lidell anyone? Silva could easily go tot he 205 weight class by adding a lil more lean mass.

Although I guess that would be really doubtful. The UFC surely doesn't want someone abandoning the belt instantly...Only BJ penn would have the will to do something like that. Still that would be a striking dream come true...almost as much so as the other silva vs lidell
I'll say again since you double posted....BJ didn't abandon the belt, stop saying that, and stop listening to everything SPIKEtv tells you PLEASE!

#25 ·
rbunnell said:
Perhaps Rich Franklin should fight Ken Shamrock - that would be a pretty even matchup at this point, or maybe the guy that fought after Franklin/Silva with the long curly hair. I also think Ralph Maccio (Karate Kid) might do well against Franklin. I heard he started training again.
wow....i'm speechless....man where do we get such knowledgable people from? I seriously hope you are joking,

1.) Shamrock is retired and a LHW
2.) that guy with the curly hair is Clay Guida and is a LIGHTWEIGHT!
3.) Ralph Maccio is an actor

I'll laugh because there's no way you can possibly be serious in this post.

#26 ·
Chuck???

BrAinDeaD said:
What's next? Facial surgery.

I'd really like to see Franklin move up and fight Chuck sometime within the future. That would be an interesting match up. But I see him seeking to avenge his lost, probably fighting Mike, if Silva doesn't destroy him first.

Man, did you see the fight against Silva? Lidell wouldn't just beat Franklin...he'd knock 'Ace' out cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.