Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rich Franklin: He said he wants to make a push at 205, but I don't think we'll see him for a little while given the arm injury. I see him taking on the winner of Jardine/Hammil

Chuck Liddell: There are 2 options for Chuck. One is retirement, the other is 1 last fight against Tito Ortiz. I personally think Chuck should retire, but I see him bowing out with 1 last fight against Tito.

Mirko Cro Cop: Cro Cop looked very impressive. Was much sharper than he's been in previous fights in the Octagon, and I'd like to see him step-up and take on Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Pat Barry: Tough fight for Barry. He did well in the early exchanges but was ultimately undone by a legend of the sport. He should take a drop down in competition slightly, and take on someone like Mike Russow; though a fight with Gilbert Yvel would be a barnstormer.

Ben Rothwell: I don't see Rothwell having a long UFC career, but he picked up the win against Yvel, and I see him moving on to someone like Stefan Struve, or Roy Nelson should Nelson lose to JDS.

Gilbert Yvel: I wouldn't be surprised if Yvel is dropped from the UFC, but I'd personally love to see him chucked in against Pat Barry for a real striking war.

Carlos Condit: Good comeback win for Condit after losing the first 2 rounds. He's a talented fighter and I'd like to see him, if fit, take on Dan Hardy in England in October.

Rory MacDonald: MacDonald put in a fantastic show against Condit. He's a definite future star if he continues to work hard and develop his game. He was undone by the experience and pressure Condit put on him here, but he should come back strong. A fight against fellow up and comer John Hathaway would be very interesting!

Martin Kampmann: Good win for Kampmann against a tough guy like Thiago. Definitley puts him in the mix at 170. I'd like to see him take on the winner of Lytle/Brown.

Paulo Thiago: Unfortunate loss for Thiago. He's still one of the Top 10 guys in the division AFAIC, so a potential fight with someone like Anthony Johnson could be entertaining.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Rich Franklin: Good win for Rich, he was wobbled but came back strong to bad a badly faded Chuck, I want him fighting
Forrest Griffin next winner can take on Rua/Evans winner, Forrest would want a rematch with both.

Chuck Liddell: Fight tito then retire

Mirko Cro Cop: Retire, Barry is a poor fighter and a really small HW. Cro Cop loses to any top 10 HW

Carlos Condit: Was not too impressive, needs more to mix with any of the top WW fighters

Martin Kampmann: Looked better than ever...not much else to say really

Rest: Dont care...can do what they want. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Regarding Barry

At that weight, his gas tank is garbage in a MMA war. 5'11" 248 lbs is too much. Also, he needs to serious real sparring and instruction in pure ground game. Someone needs to take his poor-ass under his wing. Greg Jackson, American Kick Boxing, Lesnar's team, Cro Cop's team?.

After the 3 right hard punches that knocked Cro Cop down, I have no idea why he didn't go for the kill and GnP Cro Cop. It was there for him. Is he scared of the ground game that much?

At this point, anyone that can put him on the ground wins.

3rd round he was out of gas, and got annihilated taken to the ground and showed worse than Kongo ground game. I thought his explosiveness would compensate for something, but not really, not when you show absolutely nothing. Hershel Walker had a better ground game than him.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
I don't meant to gloat....

yes I do. I called it. Everytime I posted Franklin would outclass liddell and liddell had a weak chin I got negative repped. Gotta love the internetz.
Chuck didn't get outclassed at all. Rich was getting beat up until that one punch. If Chuck still had his chin, he'd of won that fight for sure.

All the respect to Rich for hanging in there with a broken arm and all and landing that punch, but he did not outclass Liddell.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I wouldnt like to see rich fight jardine or hamill. Imo he would easily defeat either of them (he has already beat hamill). I also dont see him really benifiting from beating them.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Franklin - I like like the Forrest fight... either guy could come out of that fight probably higher ranked then they actually should be... win/win for the UFC.

Liddell - Fight Tito, officially finish the TUF season by knocking Tito out and take your leave with nothing but respect and gratitude from the MMA community.

Cro Cop - I have a feeling he's on his way back to other side of the world, but... if he stays. I would like to see him Fight Big Nog.

Barry - I really, REALLY like Barry. He's a great guy with some awesome striking. He is between a rock and hard place no doubt. I personally think Barry, at age 30, is probably better served being the people's champion. Put him in there against other guys who exclusively like to strike and piss of fans on a regular basis.. Ivel, Kongo... and so on.

Kampman - looked awesome, and IMO beat Paulo Thiago more convincingly then Fitch did. I would like to see one of two things happen for the Hitman. Give him Fitch after his Thiago Alves fight... or let Kampman welcome Jake Sheilds to the octagon.

Condit - I know I just said this, but he would also be another good candidate to welcome Jake Sheilds. You could arguabely promote it as Champion vs. Champion since neither guy really lost their respective belts. Condit has a great ground game that could come in handy against Sheilds, boring, but very effective mix of BJJ and wrestling. If not, he should get someone like Swick.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Rich Franklin: He said he wants to make a push at 205, but I don't think we'll see him for a little while given the arm injury. I see him taking on the winner of Jardine/Hammil

Thoughts?
I wouldnt like to see rich fight jardine or hamill. Imo he would easily defeat either of them (he has already beat hamill). I also dont see him really benifiting from beating them.
Rich already fought and defeated Hammil, so I wouldn't bet on that one.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point. Forgot about that one. How's Ryan Bader sound? Forrest? Anyone else a possibility?

·
'England Elite'
5,028 Posts
Rory MacDonald: MacDonald put in a fantastic show against Condit. He's a definite future star if he continues to work hard and develop his game. He was undone by the experience and pressure Condit put on him here, but he should come back strong. A fight against fellow up and comer John Hathaway would be very interesting!

Martin Kampmann: Good win for Kampmann against a tough guy like Thiago. Definitley puts him in the mix at 170. I'd like to see him take on the winner of Lytle/Brown
I think these would be bad match ups, Hathaway would destroy MacDonald and Kampmann needs to be taking on better opposition than Lytle or Brown.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Franklin - I like like the Forrest fight... either guy could come out of that fight probably higher ranked then they actually should be... win/win for the UFC.

Liddell - Fight Tito, officially finish the TUF season by knocking Tito out and take your leave with nothing but respect and gratitude from the MMA community.

Cro Cop - I have a feeling he's on his way back to other side of the world, but... if he stays. I would like to see him Fight Big Nog.

Barry - I really, REALLY like Barry. He's a great guy with some awesome striking. He is between a rock and hard place no doubt. I personally think Barry, at age 30, is probably better served being the people's champion. Put him in there against other guys who exclusively like to strike and piss of fans on a regular basis.. Ivel, Kongo... and so on.

Kampman - looked awesome, and IMO beat Paulo Thiago more convincingly then Fitch did. I would like to see one of two things happen for the Hitman. Give him Fitch after his Thiago Alves fight... or let Kampman welcome Jake Sheilds to the octagon.

Condit - I know I just said this, but he would also be another good candidate to welcome Jake Sheilds. You could arguabely promote it as Champion vs. Champion since neither guy really lost their respective belts. Condit has a great ground game that could come in handy against Sheilds, boring, but very effective mix of BJJ and wrestling. If not, he should get someone like Swick.
These are great picks. The two goofiest LHW's going at it in Jim Carey (Franklin) vs Alfred E Newman (Griffin).

Still surprised how young Rory is. He turned pro at age 16...geebuz.

I think Gilbert should face Kongo for a rematch although a fight with Barry would be fireworks.
Rothwell vs Nelson vs Russow
Pat Barry vs Duffee vs Struve

Then Mirko providing he fights again; beats Gonzaga, Cheick, Antoni Hardonk, Big Nog (obvious choice), Mir would be an interesting matchup. I said this before I had a vision that Mirko would kick off Brock's head and retire. Might never happen, but I'm sticking with it.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dunno about Hathaway-MacDonald, I reckon it'd be a really good fight. Both young, up and comers that could put on a great show. Guess it's somewhat doubtful seeing that MacDonald lost though.

As for Kampmann. I was struggling to think of other options at 170 TBH. Koscheck's fighting GSP, Fitch and Alves are meeting, Swick's coming off 2 losses, Almeida's tied up with Matt Hughes, Jake Ellenberger's fighting on the Jones-Matyushenko card, Nate Diaz is supposed to be fighting Marcus Davis. The other option is Dan Hardy at 120, or a possible fight with Carlos Condit. There aren't many options at Kampmann's sort of level ATM.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Can Pat realistically drop to 205? Perhaps not with his fondness for food. Realistically though, if he had the gas tank he could have beaten the best Mirko we've seen in a while. And its worth noting that he's said in interviews that he has trouble punching people on the ground if he think they're out, he's just a nice dude I guess, although it could be his failing in the future. Lets see his conditioning improve, I think he'll really be a threat with a better camp.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Good point. Forgot about that one. How's Ryan Bader sound? Forrest? Anyone else a possibility?
Bader I like... I would also pick him in that fight. Rich is very well rounded and very skilled but I think Bader has power that is seldom seen in the LHW division.

*On a side note, unrelated to UFC 115.

I think Bader, and Jones are the LHW counter parts to Dos Santos and Cain. You've got two guys that are lighting up the division and seemingly on a collision course with each other... but on the other hand, that is a fight the UFC might want to save for a higher profile situation.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I think Rich vs Forest is a real good match up somewhere down the line when they both fit again.

Kampmann, dont think he is quite up there with the right to fight Fitch just yet, Fitch should really be fighting for the title, but with Kos and GSP doing TUF then a title fight, Fitch should be the clear choice to fight Jake "Bum Boy" Shilds, there are a number of top picks for Kampmann like Johnson, Hathaway, Hardy the division is stacked with good opponents around that level, but the fight I would most like to see is Dustin Hazelett, with both fighters coming off recent losses to Paul Daley I think Hazelett vs Kampmann makes a lot of sense.

CroCop, the Nogueira suggestion is good, but I like the idea of a rematch with Check Kongo better, just personal opinion, I think both fights would be good fights.

The one fighter who had a massive win last night and has not been brought up yet is Evan Dunham, 10-0 fantastic record and just won a convincing decision against Tyson Griffin, I think its time for him to be on the main card for his next fight, again loads of decent opponents come to mind for this guy like Ross Pearson, Melvin Guillard, Jim Miller, Mark Bocek, fight I personally would like to see the most is Dunham vs Gleison Tibau or Jim Miller I thin kwould be equally a good fight.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just seen on Twitter that James McSweeney has called out Mirko Cro Cop. He thinks he could beat Cro Cop because he beat some K-1 guy, Michael McDonald that Cro Cop lost too in '01. I didn't think Pro fighters used MMA, or in this case, K-1 math. McSweeney lost via TKO to Al-Turk and Neil Grove, he would get his arse handed to him Cro Cop. Think it's a bit stupid for him to be calling out Cro Cop when he has a fight coming up against an unbeaten guy too. I'd love to see McSweeney get KTFO by Cro Cop, but it's not an interesting fight at all. McSweeney is a bum whereas Cro Cop looks like he's back to his best. Unless McSweeney looks super impressive against Travis Browne then there's no chance of this fight happening. Wishful thinking on McSweeny's part I'd say.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Just seen on Twitter that James McSweeney has called out Mirko Cro Cop. He thinks he could beat Cro Cop because he beat some K-1 guy, Michael McDonald that Cro Cop lost too in '01. I didn't think Pro fighters used MMA, or in this case, K-1 math. McSweeney lost via TKO to Al-Turk and Neil Grove, he would get his arse handed to him Cro Cop. Think it's a bit stupid for him to be calling out Cro Cop when he has a fight coming up against an unbeaten guy too. I'd love to see McSweeney get KTFO by Cro Cop, but it's not an interesting fight at all. McSweeney is a bum whereas Cro Cop looks like he's back to his best. Unless McSweeney looks super impressive against Travis Browne then there's no chance of this fight happening. Wishful thinking on McSweeny's part I'd say.
Yea wtf is McSweeney doing calling CroCop out when he has to first beat his opponent next week, in fact come to think of it, wtf is McSweeney doing in the UFC, yea thats a real good point I think wtf is McSweeney doing in the UFC, if he does manage to get past Browne which is no guarantee at all, in fact he will more than likely loose that fight, but if by some miracle he does pull off a win then fcuk him, feed him to Todd Duffee to bounce the confidence back into Duffee's ability to knock people out, let us all see if McSweeney has a chin like Russow.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Yea wtf is McSweeney doing calling CroCop out when he has to first beat his opponent next week, in fact come to think of it, wtf is McSweeney doing in the UFC, yea thats a real good point I think wtf is McSweeney doing in the UFC, if he does manage to get past Browne which is no guarantee at all, in fact he will more than likely loose that fight, but if by some miracle he does pull off a win then fcuk him, feed him to Todd Duffee to bounce the confidence back into Duffee's ability to knock people out, let us all see if McSweeney has a chin like Russow.
I agree with you both, McSweeney needs to be a little more humble I think. I would have thought that he'd be out of contract if he loses his next fight so surely he want's someone a little more his level then Cro Cop.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd imagine he's desperate to become a relevant fighter, which frankly is never going to happen. Dunno why, but he just annoys the hell out of me. His Twitter constantly annoys me, as all he ever talks about is what star fighters he's been training with that day, often written in very bad English and often mis-spelling fighters names. Didn't like him on TUF, and was pretty annoyed that he got a contract. I'm guessing the only reason he got a contract is because he trains at Greg Jacksons and claims to be buddies with Rashad. Hope he gets destroyed at the TUF Finale and we don't hear from him again. Seems unlikely though given he signed a 5 fight contract.

Just been reading up on McSweeney's Kickboxing record, which he likes to boast about. He had 3 fights in K-1, going 0-3 in small K-1 feeder shows in Europe. Then his win against Michael McDonald came when McDonald was 42, and it was on points. So McDonald was well past his best, and nowhere near the fighter that beat Cro Cop in 2001. To sum up, McSweeney's a douche.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts