Votes: 8 17.4%

Votes: 7 15.2%

Votes: 7 15.2%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
2, or 1B.

i just believe that Anderson actually can go to any weight classes and beat almost anyone, of course a shane Carwin, Brock, or *gasp* Fedor can beat any HW.

·
Administrator
15,542 Posts
P4P isn't "meaningless" as it creates a discussion, but there is no way shape or form anyone can say for fact that someone is a P4P fighter, as it's all based on opinion. So, in that regard, it's like people going around in circles and no one will ever actually find out the "truth" on it, cause it's all opinions and everyone's view on how to rank P4P is different.

With that said:

1. Fedor
2. Penn
3. Anderson

Of course, that is just a joke list, just to be silly.

My real list is:

1. Rob Emerson

2. Fedor
3. Penn
4. Anderson

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
That's a good point. Aldo is firmly in my #5 spot.
Really? I have a hard time thinking about the pound-for-pound rankings and (in terms of performance) not calling Aldo one of the top three. Seriously.

I mean, the guy is absolutely Anderson Silva at 145 pounds, if, you know, Anderson Silva were 23 with no challengers who, in my opinion, pose a serious threat. There's a strong possibility that Aldo could be the champion in taht division for 10, maybe 12, years.

Obviously, that's a long way off and depends on his maintaining his skill and procludes any other serious phenom from coming up in that division, which is certainly possible. But he's pretty damn impressive.

For me, the top three are Anderson, Fedor and Aldo, and I shift around on how exactly I rank them based on criteria.

Based on long term continuity, Fedor is obviously the best. He's been at the top of his division for so long that it's hard to see anyone seriously presenting a statistical challenge to his record. The numbers that he's put up are phenomenal.

In terms of who's been the best the last two or three years, I think the answer is clearly Anderson Silva. He has put together a streak the likes of which the UFC has never seen. He's 10-0, having defended his title multiple times against multiple serious competitors and fought up a weightclass, becoming a top five fighter there.

In terms of particular performances and pound-for-pound skill level, though, I think Aldo really has to be in the discussion.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think Aldo is amazing but I would like to see him fight a bit more before putting him in top 3 of p4p.

As for Fedor I think I would have him around the third spot based on recent competition.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
1. Anderson Silva
2. Georges St-Pierre
3. BJ Penn
4. Fedor Emelianenko
5. Lyoto Machida (though Shogun takes that spot should he win the rematch)

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
1. Anderson Silva
2. BJ Penn
3. Lyoto Machida
4. Jose Aldo
5. Fedor

That's right no GSP at all... when I think of "best fighter in the world", I expect amazing skills in every department! ... Oh snap!:thumb02:

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fedor is #5!

and you can't put Aldo into the top 5. He hasn't even defended his belt yet.
He hasn't defended the belt but he's beaten almost everyone who would be a challenger to it already and in devastating fashion too. He did to Mike Brown what a lot of us didn't think was possible and he made him look like a child in the process. I expect him to do the exact same to Faber. He DESTROYED Cub Swanson who's actually a very, very good fighter (albeit inconsistent). I really don't see anyone in the WECs FW division that's even remotely a threat to him... we'll see though. Like I said, right now he's #5, if he defends his belt against Faber in the same way he worked his way to it I'll have him at #4 easy.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
That's true Tra, he looked very dominant in his fights. But who would you remove in order to get Aldo into that list??

Fedor? or even Lyoto??

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I rank Fedor 4th.
For 2 reasons:
1. he hasn't foght the fighters that are now considered the top HW in the world: Cain, JDS, Brock, Carwin
2. he hasn't foght that much in recent time.
(Even though he has stopped everyone he has faced)I still wanna see him fight the top of the UFC HW division.
As for my top:
1. Silva
2. GSP
3. BJ
4. FEDOR
5. Aldo - he hasn't defended yet, but he has destroyed all of his opponents. It feels like he is a "mini-Anderson Silva", but more explosive.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's true Tra, he looked very dominant in his fights. But who would you remove in order to get Aldo into that list??

Fedor? or even Lyoto??
I don't have lyoto top 5 P4P anymore post-shogun. If he comes back and wrecks Rua in convincing fashion then maybe, but as of right now Aldo is firmly above him, IMO.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I don't have lyoto top 5 P4P anymore post-shogun. If he comes back and wrecks Rua in convincing fashion then maybe, but as of right now Aldo is firmly above him, IMO.
Ok Tra you probably know what's coming now, so fasten your seatbelts my friend :)

Sooo basically you remove a guy who cleaned out a division 3 times with a record of 16:0??? A guy who ran playing through one of the strongest (if not the strongest devision in the MMA World today) with zero resistance and totally domination against his opponents until his last fight?!? Nobody came even close at beating him, in fact he didn't even lost a single round until his last fight in the UFC!!!
You remove a fighter who fought TOP COMPETITON throughout his entire career without being even close in serious trouble until recently?? And you keep a guy named Fedor who keep's fighting cans at Showtime?? A guy who refuses to fight the best HW's in the World but in order you remove a guy who doesn't pass any top names???
And you even say, even if he beats Shogun in convincing fashion you still only give him a maybe?? Are you out of your...?? In fact, if he beats Shogun in convincing fashion, he should be known as top 3 p4p!!! Everybody has a bad day ones, but that doesn't change the fact, that his last bout was very equalised and that in fact Lyoto's victory wasn't a robbery?!

Seriously everybody who removes Lyoto from the top 5 p4p just because of a close decision... VICTORY ...is out of there mind!!!

·
Administrator
15,542 Posts
Ok Tra you probably know what's coming now, so fasten your seatbelts my friend :)

Sooo basically you remove a guy who cleaned out a division 3 times with a record of 16:0??? A guy who ran playing through one of the strongest (if not the strongest devision in the MMA World today) with zero resistance and totally domination against his opponents until his last fight?!? Nobody came even close at beating him, in fact he didn't even lost a single round until his last fight in the UFC!!!
You remove a fighter who fought TOP COMPETITON throughout his entire career without being even close in serious trouble until recently?? And you keep a guy named Fedor who keep's fighting cans at Showtime?? A guy who refuses to fight the best HW's in the World but in order you remove a guy who doesn't pass any top names???
And you even say, even if he beats Shogun in convincing fashion you still only give him a maybe?? Are you out of your...?? In fact, if he beats Shogun in convincing fashion, he should be known as top 3 p4p!!! Everybody has a bad day ones, but that doesn't change the fact, that his last bout was very equalised and that in fact Lyoto's victory wasn't a robbery?!

Seriously everybody who removes Lyoto from the top 5 p4p just because of a close decision... VICTORY ...is out of there mind!!!
I agree and disagree.

My top 4 are:

Fedor
Penn
Anderson
GSP

The 5th one is up for debate, and Lyoto could definitely fill that spot, so with that I agree that he very well could be top 5.

The thing that confuses me in your post, is you say that Lyoto has cleaned out his divison 3 times.

Fighters Lyoto still has to face in his divison to even clean it out one time:

1. Rampage

2. Forrest

3. Jones

Lyoto still has a few guys he needs to beat until he "cleans out" the LHW divison as the UFC LHW champion.

Can he do it? Definitely, I have full faith. However, he hasn't cleaned it out yet, claiming he has is incorrect, as there are still guys in the top 5 LHW that he has yet to beat, and a few guys on their way to top 5 he hasn't beaten.

·
Banned
670 Posts
Well Lyoto has fought the best competition and he is undefeated, so I put him in there, where, I don't know?? If you do not go by records then its mostly subjective, even if you do its subjective. Fun to argue, yes, meaningful, imho - no. Who was the best HW boxing champion of all time, that can be argued forever, I take Rocky cause he did not lose. Am I right?? Don't know but its my opinion....Fedor was the best HW don't think so anymore, would love to see him fight AS, Brock,etc. Losing to a proven great fighter should not diminish your accomplishments, only increase those of the victor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts