Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Which champion is more likely to fall in their next bout? (*Poll*)

• Dominick Cruz vs. Joseph Benavidez 2

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Jose Aldo vs. Manvel Gamburyan

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. Penn 2

Votes: 74 72.5%
  • Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck 2

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Mauricio Rua vs. Rashad Evans

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez

Votes: 13 12.7%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seeing as almost every UFC and WEC champion (bar Bensen Henderson of the WEC's LW division) has an opponent lined up for the future, which fight do you think is most likely to go the way of the contender? And which fight do you guys see the contender having the least chance of winning?

Fights we have lined up so far:
Bantamweight: Dominick Cruz vs. Joseph Benavidez 2
Featherweight: Jose Aldo vs. Manvel Gamburyan
Lightweight (UFC): Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. Penn 2
Welterweight: Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck 2
Middleweight: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen
Light Heavyweight: Mauricio Rua vs. Rashad Evans
Heavyweight: Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez

I think that BJ has the best chance of all of these contenders at beating the respective champion of their division, and I think that Aldo has the least chance of losing his next fight with Gamburyan out of all these fights. your picks?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
#1 Frankie Edgar
#2 Brock Lesnar
#3 Shogun

Frankie has the best chance of losing. Brock also faces a huge test but I believe he should win. And Shogun scares me because of his injury but I believe he should win also.

I was shocked when Frankie beat BJ the first time, and I'll be equally shocked if he can do it again.

·
Psychedelic
891 Posts
I'd say Edgar by far. But I suspect we will see atleast one more upset from the fights you listed. The only ones I can't see loosing to their next opponents are GSP and Aldo, but all the current champs (exept Edgar) are big favorites to win.

Accualy I wouldn't be all that suprised if Anderson lost, something about him has changed lately, he feels more vulnerable. Maybie hes aging or is loosing the mental edge. must be hard to go 11-0 in the UFC and still stay on top of the mind.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I wud say Frankie, then Brock and then Shogun after he defends Rashad.

·
Shogun
2,105 Posts
You guys beat me to it, seems many ppl chose the same order as me.

1. Frankie (im 90% sure he will not win the rematch)
2. Brock i think its 50/50 but im leaning towards Cain taking the belt. Was not at all impressed with brock in the last fight and i see Cain as just as tough as carwin but with cardio..never mind the size it wont matter imo.
3. Shogun...sadly for me since he is my all time fav fighter and has been for a long time. Normally i see him demolishing rashad but all the injuries makes me think he might look like he did against forrest and gas. Im really hoping for him tho and i cant see anyone but maybe Bones in 1 - 2 years taking the title from a healthy shogun...but hes not healthy :(

GSP,Silva and Aldo i think will stay..maybe Silva soon but not against Sonnen. I really dont know enoght about the bantamweight champ to make a statement.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Shogun will get destroyed! Absolutely murdered!

:thumb02:

Kidding That will be a close fight and I think Rashad will win but that is not my most likely to lose champion.

Edgar
Brock
Rua
Anderson
GSP
Aldo

Don't feel compterable enough with the other divisions to say what on.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Frankie and Brock both in their next fights.

Shogun if he comes in as motivated as he was for Coleman.

Silva also has a moderate possiblity next week.
Its not about motivation, wrestling is Shogun's weakness

·
....Omar Comin'
4,797 Posts
Accualy I wouldn't be all that suprised if Anderson lost, something about him has changed lately, he feels more vulnerable. Maybie hes aging or is loosing the mental edge. must be hard to go 11-0 in the UFC and still stay on top of the mind.
that comment scares the shit out of me, thankfully i don't believe it.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Bj v Frankie
Shogun v Rashad (Depending on cardio)

And Kos maybe has a shot against GSP, the rest won't be close, unless Chael has been busy selling his Republican soul to the ghost of Ronald Regan.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I wonder what you're all gonna say when Frankie beats BJ again.
I really don't like BJ. But I dont see how Frankie's going to win this one. If he does I'll be an instant fan. Someone once said it takes a true champ not to win the belt, but to defend it.

That really good fighters can beat great fighters they happen to match up well against. It isn't like it was a Matt Serra situation.
Not at all. Sera beat the champ once because he landed a power shot that connected. He was completely destroyed in the re-match. If Frankie beats BJ twice, thats a pretty damn good consensus that he's a better fighter.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I really don't like BJ. But I dont see how Frankie's going to win this one. If he does I'll be an instant fan. Someone once said it takes a true champ not to win the belt, but to defend it.
I won't be overly shocked if Frankie does it again, BJ isn't exactly known to stay motivated for extended periods of time, but I think he wants his belt back and I see him really coming after Frankie this time not circling and jabbing for 25 minutes.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I won't be overly shocked if Frankie does it again, BJ isn't exactly known to stay motivated for extended periods of time, but I think he wants his belt back and I see him really coming after Frankie this time not circling and jabbing for 25 minutes.
Almost agreed. I think BJ really wants that belt back, and his motivation will be at an all time high. I don't see Frankie beating a motivated Penn. I do love upsets though, and I really want Frankie to win this one... I just don't see it happening unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts