Votes: 11 7.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who won?

I re-watched it and imo the 1st round could have been scored for Randy or for Vera or a draw. Because of this I'll call it a draw.

The second round was no doubt Vera.

In the 3rd round Randy landed some nice punches early but he really doesn't punch very hard. Vera landed 3 nice kicks to his body mid-round. Then they clinch some more and Vera gets a takedown and mounts him. As far as Octagon control... I think the mount or having someones back is the most dominant position and Vera had it for a little bit even though he didn't do damage from there. But neither did Randy in the Clinch. They get back to the feet at the end and exchange a bit. I scored it for Vera. In this retarded scoring system I guess I can see how Randy got the decision but for ALL 3 JUDGES TO GIVE IT TO HIM! I think they played favorites. I really think Vera won this fight.

·
Banned
91 Posts
I had Randy winning rounds 1 & 3 fairly easily. 2 easily for Vera.

Round 3, Randy pretty much out struck Vera, and had octogon control. Therefore, Randy won IMO>
defending a takedown... then getting a takedown then getting mount... what more would he need to do for octagon control compared to clinching and doing nothing...

dont know how you can say randy outstrike vera when he left bleeding and vera wasn't phased at all:S

·
Registered
64 Posts
Randy won, plain and simple. Sure, it was a very boring win, but a win non the less. He completely took Vera out of the fight with the exception of a few kicks. Randy didnt do much, but he controlled the fight, and Vera didnt do near enough to counter Randy's control to justify a win for him.

I really dont even see this as controversial at all.

·
Administrator
15,489 Posts
I think Randy pulled it out.

It was a close fight, but at the end of the day, even though it isn't pretty, clinch work against the cage does score some points. If you're looking for a takedown the whole time and it's stuffed the whole time, then you can make a case for the guy defending the takedown to have control. However, if it's your pure intention of pushing against the cage to dirty box as Randy did, and you do it successfully, as Randy did, it counts as octagon control and scores the warranted points.

I think Randy definitely won round 1, I honestly can't remember much of round 2, but round 3 Randy did have Vera up against the cage quite a bit, he did land a few good shots as well. Vera got Randy to the ground and mounted him, but it was for like 30 seconds total, that's 30 seconds of octagon control vs. Randy's 3-4 minutes.

I think Randy pulled it out, but it was not pretty, not that exciting. It's the case of someone doing something boring for points, and another guy having flashes of excitement when he's able to break from the boring, thus having people think/believe he won the fight as the other guy "did nothing".

Please keep in mind I only watched the fight once, so I'm basing it off of that.

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
defending a takedown... then getting a takedown then getting mount... what more would he need to do for octagon control compared to clinching and doing nothing...

dont know how you can say randy outstrike vera when he left bleeding and vera wasn't phased at all:S
Blood, bruises, cuts are all cosmetic damage and irrelevant to scoring.

I had Randy 29-28.

I don't get Rogan's post-fight reaction tbh. He made it sound like it was the robbery of the century when it wasnt even a bad decision (imo).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Rogan seems to do that a lot. Remember Belcher/Akiyama? I thought it was a pretty clear decision for Akiyama, but Rogan acted like Belcher was dominating every round.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
I re-watched it and imo the 1st round could have been scored for Randy or for Vera or a draw. Because of this I'll call it a draw..
It's a 10 point MUST system. The only way a round can be a draw is if the round winner receives a point deduction.

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Rogan seems to do that a lot. Remember Belcher/Akiyama? I thought it was a pretty clear decision for Akiyama, but Rogan acted like Belcher was dominating every round.
True

It's a 10 point MUST system. The only way a round can be a draw is if the round winner receives a point deduction.
I think they've changed the rules so draw rounds are an option.

I give it to Vera, I don't think Randy was really controlling or sapping his strength by holding him there. He was just lucky the ref didn't split them up quicker.

It was sort of annoying too to see Vera just let it happen. I only personally know normal wrestling, no experience in a clinch against the cage - but how hard is it to get out of a clinch? Especially as Vera seemed otherwise very capable in his wrestling. Did there relative heights make it harder for Vera?

Also what Vera did was hardly cosmetic, he kicked and kneed his stomach pretty dang hard. It being Randy it's sort of worrying - most times you knee a 46 year old in the body that hard they die.

·
Registered
179 Posts
10:10 rounds in MMA

The biggest misconception associated with the 10 point must system, particularly amongst Mixed Martial Arts fans, is that you cannot have a 10:10 round. 10:10 rounds are infrequent within MMA but are allowed within the rules.

Reasons for this misconception stem largely from the phrasing of the brief rules description at the start of UFC broadcasts "The round winner gets 10 points, with his opponent receiving 9 or less".

At no point does this description state that there must be a round winner, however this is often assumed by the viewer as there is no mention of 10:10 as an option.

Additionally, 10:10 rounds rarely dictate the outcome of a bout even when they do occur, as they are usually awarded by one judge at a time. One notable exception where a 10:10 round did dictate the fight result is the 2003 bout between Ian Freeman and Vernon White. The fight was scored 30-27, 28-29, 29-29 with the final scorecard including a 10:10 round.
From Wikipedia

I personally would have called the fight a draw myself, was pretty shit, maybe given it to Vera cos he looked more dangerous. Still a god awful fight though. Compared to the absolute classic that was Nog v Couture it was such a huge let down. :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
WOW.. What a tough fight to like!!! I think a different referee wouid have broke the clinchig sooner and it may have been a better fight. I know that dirty boxing is part of it but that was way too much clinching. I am glad we didn't have to pay for that night!!!

Mark

·
You're killin me smalls
332 Posts
Yeah this wasn't a controversial decision because Vera didn't do quite enough Randy controlled the tempo and the whole fight... Not as close as Shogun Machida

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Vera won that fight. He landed several shots that staggered Couture and also scored a knockdown and a takedown. Vera won octagon control in my opinion by stuffing every takedown Randy attempted. Randy landed a handful of punches that didn't really bother Vera. Randy was doing NOTHING to attempt to finish the fight, Vera was. When Shields laid on Miller for five rounds it was an MMA atrocity but if Randy puts Vera into the cage for most of three rounds it is brilliance? Seriously....

·
Po Pimpin
795 Posts
I had randy with a shoulda coulda slapped the shit out of him with a yellow card... Vera winnning.. There is no honor in smashing ur opponet against the cage and hanging on him for 3 rounds.. Thats was fuckin weak. And I dont like Vera so its not some fan based opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
In MMA takedowns = points. It seems everyone agrees Randy won rd 1 and Vera won rd 2. So why didn't Vera win round 3? The offense was so evenly matched and in the end, Vera got a rd 3 takedown. I didn't see Randy overcome the point deficit resulting from that takedown.

Furthermore, I tend to side with a fighter who causes the most physical damage. Vera caused Randy to fall to the ground in pain. I realize this is subjective and personal to my judge card which sadly carries no weight.

Vera won in an underwhelming main event.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The people that believe Vera won must only remember the two body kicks and takedown he did nothing with. They must have forgot about the other fourteen minutes of the night, where Randy maintained control, out-worked Vera, and landed way more (but less devastating) strikes.

Couture absolutely won this bout. Vera is a strong, lanky guy with good wrestling defense. Couture struggled with him, but if people are complaining about a lack of action, point the finger at Vera and the fact that he doesn't know what a clinch escape is.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts