Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is Frankie Edgar? **now contains spoilers**

, Alright, I know who he is but seriously, all the talk and coming into 112 has been about Anderson Silva, Demina Maia and BJ Penn. Just BJ though. Frankie Edgar is like the third wheel on this PPV. He is a great fighter and always comes off like a great guy. Thoughts?

Reactions: Halebop

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
frankie is the guy playing it low key enough that i think he has some kinda shot.... i dunno.... so weird a quiet challenger like him... i think BJ will destroy him but i like the way Frankie is approaching the fight, i think he is coming with a gameplan and he feels confident.

i just hope he can give us at least some drama in the fight.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Frankie is a helluva fighter, he just poses little threat to BJ. He's an undersized LW who has great boxing and wrestling, but boxing not as good as BJ and wrestling not good enough to take BJ down and maintain a mounted position.

·
Godless Heathen
4,145 Posts
Horribly underrated. He's fought lots of high-level fighters in the UFC and has one loss. While i don't think he has what it takes to beat BJ... im almost certain he'll present more of a challenge to BJ then Florian, Diego, Sherk or Joe Daddy did.

He's legit, he's just fighting the wrong guy at the wrong time i think.

·
Registered
287 Posts
, Alright, I know who he is but seriously, all the talk and coming into 112 has been about Anderson Silva, Demina Maia and BJ Penn. Just BJ though. Frankie Edgar is like the third wheel on this PPV. He is a great fighter and always comes off like a great guy. Thoughts?
I think there are two reasons we don't hear much about Edgar. The first reason is what I put in bold font from your post. Niceness isn't publicized unless your the champ. Look at Rich Franklin - truly humble and a great guy. We all know it because he was the middle weight champ for quite a while. Running your mouth gets you more attention (although, undeserved). I could list names... but I'm sure everyone knows them.

The second reason is that Edgar is nothing new. He specializes in nothing and isn't unorthodox. Thus, he's not really known for anything.

Silva - Best P4P fighter. Phenomenal striker that rarely needs to use his guard. However, he is dangerous from it.
Maia - Excellent grappler. Probably the most dangerous BJJ middleweight.
Penn - The prodigy. One of the best P4P fighters. Great flexibility and very hard to take/keep down.
Jon Jones - Unorthodox fighter. His strikes and take downs will come from all angles. Rising VERY fast.
Roy Nelson - Doesn't look like a fighter at all (he builds this up by rubbing his tummy after every win). Also, the mullet? Lol...

Edgar - Well rounded. Good striker, good grappler.

Because Edgar doesn't specialize in anything, he's not a real threat to Penn. Penn's probably better in every aspect.

Maia, on the other hand, has excellent submissions that can end a fight. Because of that, he has a "submitters" chance.

I like Edgar, I do. I've been a fan of his for a couple of years now. However, he kind of dropped off because he's so rarely in the media.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
I was thinking about the same thing while watching the countdown. The problem is he's never really been a main event draw so you don't hear much about em plus the fact he's a respectable guy who doesn't talk much trash keeps him grounded. Finally he hasn't finished fights in spectacular fashion I think. So yah he's flying under the radar. Good thing is BJ isn't taking him lightly.

Just not sure how the fight is going to unravel. BJ will take him to the ground at some point and submit him.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
im almost certain he'll present more of a challenge to BJ then Florian, Diego, Sherk or Joe Daddy did.
People seem to be saying that about every contender to BJ's crown. I like Frankie Edgar, but he's not a better fighter than Florian or Sanchez. Diego's a better grappler, and couldn't threaten BJ, and Florian's a better striker, but got picked apart. Edgar's going to be trying to use his speed and footwork to move in and out and try to out-point and out-box BJ, but that's not going to happen. He'll be down on points going into the 4th and try and brawl, which will only get him as far as being KTFO.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
People seem to be saying that about every contender to BJ's crown. I like Frankie Edgar, but he's not a better fighter than Florian or Sanchez. Diego's a better grappler, and couldn't threaten BJ, and Florian's a better striker, but got picked apart. Edgar's going to be trying to use his speed and footwork to move in and out and try to out-point and out-box BJ, but that's not going to happen. He'll be down on points going into the 4th and try and brawl, which will only get him as far as being KTFO.
If Frankie was to lose, this is the fight I want to see - Edgar v Florian. However, I'm planning on seeing Edgar's hand raised ;)

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Frankie really is the best LW to challenge B.J. right now....

Very dangerous.... Hes extremly well rounded, scrappy as hell and great cardio...

If B.J. can retain.... than he's stackin Frankies name with Kenny Florian, and Diego Sanchez latley....

B.J.s always on a sick roll....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Frankie really is the best LW to challenge B.J. right now....

Very dangerous.... Hes extremly well rounded, scrappy as hell and great cardio...

If B.J. can retain.... than he's stackin Frankies name with Kenny Florian, and Diego Sanchez latley....

B.J.s always on a sick roll....
You think Frankie could beat the likes of Florian, Stevenson, and Sanchez? I think he could beat Stevenson but I think he would get finished by Florian and decision'ed by Sanchez.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
You think Frankie could beat the likes of Florian, Stevenson, and Sanchez? I think he could beat Stevenson but I think he would get finished by Florian and decision'ed by Sanchez.
He'd definitely beat sanchez, his striking is superior and has just as good if not better wrestling than Diego.

Also, not that its relevant but;

Reactions: Toxic

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I think he'd roast Stevenson on every level.

Florian and Sanchez? I wouldn't count him out at all... Florian wilted under Sherks and B.J.s pace.. and Frankie has a fast pace... Tyson Griffin can attest to that...

Frankie and Diego would be fun... I'd give the striking edge to Frankie though simply for his technical superiority.... his angles and faints are crazy good...

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
He'd definitely beat sanchez, his striking is superior and has just as good if not better wrestling than Diego.
I couldn't disagree more with this.

Anyway, I am an Edgar independent, don't love him, don't hate him. I admire his ability be elusive and rack up points with soft handed accurate strikes. And his wrestling is above average in the UFC LW division. I don't think that entitles his name to enter the conversation of people that can beat BJ Penn. There just isn't anything there to debate. Furthermore his wins over Griffin and Sherk were not decisive. Sure he won the fights but they weren't dominant wins. Finally, Maynard toyed with him when he beat him. Edgar is good but he has no business being in the octagon with Penn. Isn't this PPV called Invincible or whatever? That is a perfect name for this PPV because both champs will be looking that way at 112.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I really like Frankie Edgar. An undersized LW who pushes around bigger fighters (except Maynard).

I think he has a better shot than Diego and Kenny. I think his boxing is superior to both of these fighters. Wrestling wise I'm not sure if is better than Diego but I don't think it matters, I highly doubt he can take BJ down.

When BJ fought Sherk in basically a boxing match, he was outpointing Sherk but not so convincingly that I would say a much better boxer in Edgar couldn't be competitive. Frankie has very quick hands, good footwork, great cardio and always sets a good pace. I think we could see a good standup battle.

As for him not being too known, he's not a finisher or a big mouth.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Frankie Edgar has the second best boxing in the LW division. His hands are good and his wresting is solid. The thing is the Frankie Edgar that will step in the cage tomorrow would destroy Gray Maynard. He is always improving and is truly a fighter on the rise. Diego Sanchez had no business in the ring with BJ. Diego was a glorified brawler with cardio. I said before the fight BJ would get in and out and pick Sanchez apart before he could even touch him. I was one of the few people who called the level of domination we saw in that fight. Frankie Edgar is solid. Will he win? Nope but you know what I expect a competitive exciting fight right up until BJ finishes it. I don't think Edgar has anyway to finish the fight and that is his biggest problem, he has not really shown knock out power and BJ's chin is battle tested and certified, BJ is a world champion Black belt in BJJ so a submission is out. What can Edgar do to finish the fight? I will take a sig bet with anybody though that Frankie Edgar does much better than Florian or Sanchez.

Reactions: Hiro

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
I like Frankie, he's a good fighter, but BJ's a great fighter. Unrelated...I would love to see a Frankie/Tyson Griffin fight one day.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts