Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alot of people are going to say Brock but truth be told i think Saturday proved that Brock and Carwin are FAR from being the best. Whos next??? Fedor... I would agree with that statement but the Loss against Werdum makes it hard to justify it on Paper. In theory Fedor could still be considered the best but on paper it might not be as easy. Who else do we have?? Cain Valesquez?? he has the potential to one day be the best as it is right now he hasnt had enough fights to be the best, his size could also be a problem in the future. JDS? To me right now id say he is the closest to being the best HW fighter out there. I say this because the guy is amazing all around. He has Amazing Boxing skill for a HW. His takedown defense has been tested and he passed. His ground game is somewhat a Question mark but in all reality training with the people he trains with there is NO possible way for him to be a slouch there. He is still very young and will continue to improve but even now he holds 1 sided wins against the likes of Mirko,Gonzaga,Yvel,Struve and the person that recently has beaten the Last Emperor (Fedor) Fabricio Werdum. This is my opinion of-course and in no way am i saying anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. I personally think we are in a weird place right now when it comes to determining the best HW in the world. Brock is an easy person to say is number 1 but with the performance he put in on Saturday can we "really" say he IS the best HW in the world? i think the BEST should be alot better then what Brock showed on Saturday Night.

I also would like to add Overeem to this list. I think what Carwin started on saturday overeem would have finished. Overeem is the MUCH better striker.. he has a much better Gas Tank then Carwin does and he also seems to be a freakish strong guy. Id put him in the top 3 in the UFC.

So my question to you guys is who do you guys think is the best?? If you disagree with me thats fine but tell me why you disagree not that just im an "idiot". If you agree also tell me why... I made this thread for your opinions so feel free to say w/e you want no matter how silly.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I didn't read the essay without breaks but I think JDS is the best. CroCop is the second best HW striker in the UFC and he was overwhelmed in the end. He reminds me a lot of a Badr Hari with his size and athleticism just a lot more raw. Overeem is the only guy I see knocking him out standing and I would say that is a 50/50 matchup.

Carwin hits really hard but his technique blows and he has no gas tank JDS is a monster with his hand combinations and cardio for HW. Plus, Blackhouse mother fucker.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
There is no clear cut best right now. However, it'd be much easier to make a case for Lesnar than anyone else.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'd love for you to list them, and we'll pick you apart from there.
Cain Velasquez for instance.

Pick me apart?? Lmao... Please leave this thread already. I can tell your a troll so im not even sure if i wanna have a discussion with you. Throw your argument out there so i can shut you down already... Try to be creative please.

·
6,517 Posts
There is no clear cut best right now. However, it'd be much easier to make a case for Lesnar than anyone else.
Cain would probably actually be the easiest to make a case for being the best. He is still undefeated and their strength of opponents are about equal. He also has 3 more wins. That will be decided in the next HW title fight though so we won't have to wait very long to find out.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cain would probably actually be the easiest to make a case for being the best. He is still undefeated and their strength of opponents are about equal. He also has 3 more wins. That will be decided in the next HW title fight though so we won't have to wait very long to find out.
I do think Cain has the potential to be the best. Only reason right now i dont think he is is because to ME he hasnt fought anyone in the ELITE level. Possibly Nog?? but nog isnt looking as good as he used to. Only thing stopping Cain from being the number 1 in my books is the fights he has been given.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't really think there is one HW who would beat all the other HW's. I think Fedor is the best overall though. I think he would win against the most people.
id agree to an extent. Fedor has had the best career out of any fighter thats for sure. I still think he could be the Champion in the UFC but that would be hard to argue on paper.

·
6,517 Posts
Fedor would get destroyed by JDS, Cain, Lesnar, and Carwin and I would pick Mir in a fight with him but he does dumb shit that costs him fights so who knows with that one. Fedor thinks Ironhead hits hard Carwin would 2 inch punch a hole in his head.

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
Cain Velasquez for instance.

Pick me apart?? Lmao... Please leave this thread already. I can tell your a troll so im not even sure if i wanna have a discussion with you. Throw your argument out there so i can shut you down already... Try to be creative please.
Well, that's where you're wrong. Cain is undefeated, but he only has one win over a top 10 HW, and that's Big Nog. (He was ranked at the time.) Do you still believe Cain should be ranked above Lesnar, who has taken out Herring, Couture, Mir, and Carwin? Mir, Couture, and Carwin were all ranked in the top 5, when Lesnar beat them.

Do you have another?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is it really that hard to see Lesnar beating just about any other HW right now? I realize he is pretty sloppy but the guy still wins.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Brock is one, but mostly by default now that Fedor has lost you can't make a great case for anyone. My personal top ten would be which I assume I will get flamed for is

1. Brock Lesnar - beating Carwin after a Mir layoff and wins over Mir, Couture, and Herring makes him number 1.

2. Junior dos Santos - to me 12-1 is better than 8-0 plus he has win over Werdum who has a win over Fedor so as Werdum rises so does JDS.

3. Fabricio Werdum - he has a shot at being number 1 but he needs to fight and beat Alistair Overeem again and be Strikeforce's champion.

4. Fedor Emelianenko - with a loss to Werdum he drops to 4, his biggest win was Big Nog five years ago he's going to drop like a stone if he can't find a top 10 fighter to face.

5. Cain Velasquez - I think he's to small, and I don't think he's beaten anyone major yet. But he gets a title shot and if he beats Brock he'll be 1.

These five guys can be number 1 with one fight, they can also lose their spots based on how other fights turn out.

6. Shane Carwin - Fedor's loss drops Fedor from 1 to 4, Carwin's loss drops him from 3 to 6. He's the best fighter who can't be number 1 in the next 6 months.

7. Alistair Cees Overeem - his record isn't that impressive and he doesn't have any quality wins even with a win against Werdum or Emelianenko that's only going to push him up to 2 or 3 spots in my eyes.

8. Frank Mir - his win's over Lesnar and Big Nog keeps him in the top ten but he needs to fight and beat one of the top four UFC HW's or else he's going to get passed.

9. Roy Nelson - If Big Country beats JDS he moves up to fifth. Roy f'n Nelson is two fights away from being the best fighter in the world.

10. Antonio Silva - Werdum's massive jump in the rankings pulls up Silva. That and the fact that every other guy who could be tenth got killed (Rodgers, Nog, Kongo) or looked really bad with their win (Rothwell, Russow).

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
Brock is one, but mostly by default now that Fedor has lost you can't make a great case for anyone. My personal top ten would be which I assume I will get flamed for is

1. Brock Lesnar - beating Carwin after a Mir layoff and wins over Mir, Couture, and Herring makes him number 1.

2. Junior dos Santos - to me 12-1 is better than 8-0 plus he has win over Werdum who has a win over Fedor so as Werdum rises so does JDS.

3. Fabricio Werdum - he has a shot at being number 1 but he needs to fight and beat Alistair Overeem again and be Strikeforce's champion.

4. Fedor Emelianenko - with a loss to Werdum he drops to 4, his biggest win was Big Nog five years ago he's going to drop like a stone if he can't find a top 10 fighter to face.

5. Cain Velasquez - I think he's to small, and I don't think he's beaten anyone major yet. But he gets a title shot and if he beats Brock he'll be 1.

These five guys can be number 1 with one fight, they can also lose their spots based on how other fights turn out.

6. Shane Carwin - Fedor's loss drops Fedor from 1 to 4, Carwin's loss drops him from 3 to 6. He's the best fighter who can't be number 1 in the next 6 months.

7. Alistair Cees Overeem - his record isn't that impressive and he doesn't have any quality wins even with a win against Werdum or Emelianenko that's only going to push him up to 2 or 3 spots in my eyes.

8. Frank Mir - his win's over Lesnar and Big Nog keeps him in the top ten but he needs to fight and beat one of the top four UFC HW's or else he's going to get passed.

9. Roy Nelson - If Big Country beats JDS he moves up to fifth. Roy f'n Nelson is two fights away from being the best fighter in the world.

10. Antonio Silva - Werdum's massive jump in the rankings pulls up Silva. That and the fact that every other guy who could be tenth got killed (Rodgers, Nog, Kongo) or looked really bad with their win (Rothwell, Russow).
1. Lesnar
2. JDS
3. Velasquez
4. Werdum
5. Fedor
6. Carwin
7. Mir
8. NOG
9. Overeem
10. Silva

I'd put Velasquez 3rd and then drop Werdum and Fedor down one. Cain's undefeated. He beat NOG which Werdum couldn't do. Fedor just lost so I drop him down one. I put NOG #8, because even though he's had some bad losses he still holds wins over ranked opponents. Overeem I drop to 9, because the only ranked HW he's ever beaten is Brett "can anyone figure out why I was ranked" Rogers. I don't have Nelson on the list because he's never beaten a ranked HW, or even a very good one.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
1. Lesnar
2. JDS
3. Velasquez
4. Werdum
5. Fedor
6. Carwin
7. Mir
8. NOG
9. Overeem
10. Silva

I'd put Velasquez 3rd and then drop Werdum and Fedor down one. Cain's undefeated. He beat NOG which Werdum couldn't do. Fedor just lost so I drop him down one. I put NOG #8, because even though he's had some bad losses he still holds wins over ranked opponents. Overeem I drop to 9, because the only ranked HW he's ever beaten is Brett "can anyone figure out why I was ranked" Rogers. I don't have Nelson on the list because he's never beaten a ranked HW, or even a very good one.
That's fair, you give Nog credit for what he's done I go with Nelson for what he can do. Nelson is 2 fights away from being the undisputed number one fighter in the world(not that he has a chance) while Nog is two more vicious KO's from being cut. I also don't think Mir and Nog should be that close together based on how the fight went and who they've fought recently.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
That's fair, you give Nog credit for what he's done I go with Nelson for what he can do. Nelson is 2 fights away from being the undisputed number one fighter in the world(not that he has a chance) while Nog is two more vicious KO's from being cut. I also don't think Mir and Nog should be that close together based on how the fight went and who they've fought recently.
Those are two fights that he won't win. JDS might kill him. Every time he's stepped up in competition (Rothwell, Arlovski, and Monson) he's lost.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Those are two fights that he won't win. JDS might kill him. Every time he's stepped up in competition (Rothwell, Arlovski, and Monson) he's lost.
Very true, but on the other hand I kind of think he matches up well with a number of guys in the top ten right now. I'm not betting on him with JDS or Lesnar but I might bet on him to beat Carwin, Mir, and Nog. The issue is with him has he matured as a fighter now in any other division that wouldn't make him a top ten fighter...but thanks to parity it does in the HW division. And as we both agree he's fighting the number 2 HW in the world. I just think he's going to lose and you think he's going to die :)

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
Very true, but on the other hand I kind of think he matches up well with a number of guys in the top ten right now. I'm not betting on him with JDS or Lesnar but I might bet on him to beat Carwin, Mir, and Nog. The issue is with him has he matured as a fighter now in any other division that wouldn't make him a top ten fighter...but thanks to parity it does in the HW division. And as we both agree he's fighting the number 2 HW in the world. I just think he's going to lose and you think he's going to die :)
Maybe NOG (depending on how much he has deteriorated), but I think Carwin and Mir beat him handily.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts