Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who that Fedor has beaten would be the biggest challenge to Brock

5K views 92 replies 34 participants last post by  Xerxes 
#1 ·
I am not a Lesnar fan (in fact I despise him, though I can objectively appreciate his talents), but I am curious if anyone that Fedor has beaten could put up a good fight against Lesner. From looking at Fedor's list of opponents I doubt that any of them could defeat Lesner. I do like Fedor, but I am not convinced yet that he is as great as suggested. He does have amazing skills and an uncanny knack for quickly reversing his fortunes in a fight, yet I don't think he has fought the best yet. The only fighter that both have fought is Heath, and we all know how that went with regards to Lesner. I also doubt that Nog could hang with Lesner.

I really can't get over the feeling that if Fedor had fought Lesner on Saturday (judging by the way he fought) he would have been in a bit of trouble. I realize that Fedor would have approached the fight differently...but I still have my doubts. That said, I would love to see Lesner eat that punch that brought down Rogers. This fight needs to happen...hopefully it will when it should.

#2 ·
Man it's really hard to say because they are such completely different fighters. different sizes and different styles, some people just match up better with other people, but I think a majority of Fedor's opponents would have destroyed lesnar early on, but he has learned so much so fast that as of right now, I would Nog and maybe, just maybe, AA would give brock the most trouble

#3 ·
Wow, I have never looked at it this way but honestly I think Lesnar would beat everyone on that list rather easily, if I had to pick one I would most likely go with Arlovski though. I know everyone is gonna say Nog but honestly I give Nog about a 1% chance of beating Lesnar, fact is Nog has trouble with big guys, Sapp manhandled him the entire fight using size and strenght with little or no resemblence to technique, Ricco owned Nog (don't try and sell me that Nog won that fight it was an epic screwjob) , same with Tim Sylvia, Nog survives against big guys and waits for a miracle which is not gonna be enough against somebody who has excellent top control and who has savage GnP.

#7 · (Edited)
You give the #4 guy in the world a 1% chance against Brock? You like Lesnar more than I like Fedor.

Keep in mind, Brock struggled hard with Randy and Nog tooled randy. Just sayin.

Fighters in their prime who would give Lesnar huge problems:

Mark Hunt
Coleman
Arona
CroCop
Nog
Arlovski
Rogers
Fujita

And I think Sylvia vs Lesnar would be really interesting. I'm not sure if I give him any real odds, but it'd certainly be a different kind of match up.

What would a ZULU match look like?

Hilarious! That's what!

edit: I'd liked to add to MC's post, that Heath was in his prime when Fedor fought him and waaaaay out of his prime when Lesnar fought him.

And here's an idea: How many people that Fedor smashed would smash Mir? Mir made Lesnar tap in the first round.

#5 ·
You made it a point to mention their single fight in common - Heath. It took Lesnar 3 rounds and still didn't finish him, where as Fedor beat him very, very badly and the doctors had to stop the fight at the end of the first round. Huge difference.

As far as people Fedor has beaten, a prime Mirko would not only knock Brock's head off striking, but his TDD was extremely good, much like Liddell's was at LHW.

Arlovski would definitely beat Brock standing (technically), but the ground game would be all Brock.

Nog could/would get the better of exchanges on the feet, and on the ground he has great subs off his back and is very experienced, so I could definitely see him subbing Brock.

Other people on his list: Randleman, Coleman, etc, are mainly wrestlers but smaller than Brock, so it would be the classic "big wrestler vs. small wrestler" where the big one wins.

If they are all in their prime - Mirko, Nog, Arlovski (maybe). Others were wrestlers which would not fair well against the bigger wrestler in Brock.

#6 ·
Even a prime Cro Cop in his prime would have never beat Lesnar especially not in a cage, the fact is Cro Cop was messed right up from the start due to the lateral movement a cage allows and its something his style will not now or ever was gonna adapt to.

#9 ·
A prime Mirko would beat Lesnar. Striking he would murder Lesnar, and his TDD was extremely solid.

If you think the cage ruined his style, then it's not Lesnar that beats Mirko in your mind, it's the cage that beats Mirko.

As a fighter, as two people matching only skill, a prime Mirko was leaps and bounds above Lesnar in everything except wrestling, and even then he had amazing TDD.

If you want to argue that the cage would not allow Mirko to beat Lesnar, then that's a fault in the arena, not the fighter, as the fighter that Mirko was would destroy Brock.

#8 ·
Yeah I have to agree as well. Lesnar should defeat most of if not all of the fighters Fedor has beat. Some of them would provide dangerous aspects in the stand up mainly but he should be able to control all of them using his size and wrestling ability. Cro Cop has pretty good TDD but no where near good enough to fend off Brock.

Lesnar is a new breed in the MMA world, he walks around at 300 lbs but is a great athlete, most guys like him went into football or something more mainstream, he is/was one of these first freak athletes to make the transition to MMA. He might lack a little of the warrior mentality that makes some fighters great but he makes up for that in physical ability.

And as for Khoveraki, Lesnar didn't struggle hard with Couture. He was winning the standup and wrestling aspects of that fight. I could see a Nog fight going similar to Mir 2 in which Lesnar takes the fight to the ground and smothers Nog taking away his submission ability.

Edit: Your argument is full of fail... Lesnar smashed Mir better then any other fighter would. That fight was like GSP vs Penn 2...

Also, Heath was never even in the Lesnar fight... Dominated the whole time and came out looking like a punching bag.

#88 ·
lesnar did struggle with randy. he had trouble getting him down and when he did randy got right back up. also it wasn't as bad as gsp/penn 2 cuz mir actually rocked brock once, and it doesn't matter if heath looked bad cuz fedor made him look worse and heath was in his prime against fedor and not against brock

#10 ·
Brock could hardly handle a 46 year old Randy who BTW was using the same base as Lesnar with a 40 lb weight advantage.

Frank Mir....meh, really isn't that impressive. His best notable victory is against a fighter who was fresh out of the hospital for a horrible case of staff infection.

We need to see brock against more stiff competition. That's my opinion.

#14 ·
Who exactly has Cro Cop fought that he showed his great take down defense against? The best wrestlers he fought were Coleman, Randleman and Barnett. All of which don't have the wrestling ability or size of Lesnar. For the most part they decided to trade striking instead of actually just using their wrestling in those fights as well.

Another thing is that fighting in the ring it is alot harder to take your opponent down then it is in a cage. Cro Cop would allow himself to get pushed up against the ropes but the ropes because of their give make it difficult to pull your opponent down. In a cage I don't think Cro Cop in his prime stands a chance against Lesnar, he would be on his back the whole fight.

#18 · (Edited)
Yeah I guess Brock's super-advanced technically polished unbelievable wrestling would let him beat anyone in the world, ever. No one ever could stop his take downs.

He won ONE NCAA a decade ago. He couldn't control Couture. He's only ever faced two other guys in the UFC and neither were wrestlers or had good TDD.

Unbelievable this Lesnar hype. This dude has faced FOUR people in his entire career.

Okay Toxic, burden of proof. What part of which Lesnar fight showed impressive take-downs? Which opponent had equally good wrestling as Coleman, Randleman, Lindland, or Nog that Lesnar was able to take down and control?

Which guy had as good of a sprawl as prime CroCop?

There's basically only three fights to look through, but take your time.

edit to counter Toxic's above post: You mean after five minutes, Lesnar was barely able to take down a 46 year old wrestler who had a 50lb disadvantage?

That couldn't be the same guy that Nog threw around like a ragdoll, could it?

#20 ·
Some people need to rewatch the Lesnar Couture fight. Here is a link

http://www.endofregulation.com/play/Highlights_and_Hits/Brock_Lesnar_Vs_Randy_Couture_11-15-08

See how easily Lesnar takes Couture down at 2:30? Or how he throws Couture off his back at 3:10?

Couture leans on Lesnar a fair bit but I honestly believe that is because Lesnar was respecting Couture too much and letting him do it. When he really tried he took Couture down with ease. When Couture was leaning on Lesnar there wasn't really any risk of anything except getting leanded on. When Couture nearly gets Lesnar to the ground he still couldn't do anything about it.

#22 ·
Gabe Gonzaga took down Mirko in his prime and beat him up. People like to think or say Mirko lost it at this point but that's just not true. The fight was only 7 months after he won the Pride GP. When he was arguably at his best.

#27 ·
Anyone that is going to argue that Lesnar's takedowns/wrestling isn't that good because of his fight with Couture and then say Cro Cop could avoid them because of this isn't looking at things the right way.

Cro Cop may have good TDD but it isn't in the same category as Coutures. The fact that Lesnar could and did take Couture down and keep him there for a while pretty much guarantees that he could get Cro Cop down as well. The only difference is that Cro Cop probably wouldn't be able to get back up after the fight went to the ground.

#29 ·
CroCop would definitely be able to shrimp and fight out of it. Heath Herring got out of full mount a few times against Lesnar.

And let's not overrate Lesnar's striking either. Randy got the best of him quite a few times, and the reach/height advantage was ridiculous. It's possible that a prime Mirko would have KO'd Lesnar before it had a chance to go to the ground.

Man, I want to see Rogers vs Lesnar or Overeem vs Lesnar in a pretty bad way.

edit: Dropkick, Crocop stood right back up out of that take down. And GG's ground creds are way better than Lesnar's, and he only weighs a little less.

#30 ·
I see Fedor's record as a combination of skill and luck, in a way that had the luck not gone his way he would have a record more like 23 wins and 8 losses. With 240+lb men throwing haymakers that nearly miss his head, on any given night one of those could have landed and taken him out, in his entire career I've seen Fedor get dazed once and I think a little luck attests to it not being more. I mean, look at the Arlovski fight, some of those punches were so close had they landed there's a good chance the fight would've gone the other way. That's why I agree with the TS, Brock would give Fedor some huge problems if he could get a hold of him.

#34 ·
Really, because I remember one of the top 2, self reported #1 BJJ at HW fighting Lesnar. A fellow that goes by the name of Frank Mir in the peak shape of his life, he didn't do so good on his back. I remember a grand total of zero close submissions in their last fight, Lesnar may have gotten subbed two years ago, but now? unless he's standing while bending over trying to gnp like big Tim did against him, that would never happen. And it was pretty clear that Brock knows how to avoid the subs from top position, his distance and hip control was near perfect against Mir, Nog wouldn't be able to do a thing if Lesnar was on top of him like that.

#35 · (Edited)
I am pretty sure he would beat him. Rogers really doesn't impress me. He is a fair size but he doesn't have great wrestling, Fedor was able to throw him around a little and I don't see Lesnar having any trouble taking him to the ground.

Rogers stand up is also less then desirable imo, mainly his stand up defense. He leaves his hands to low and it is what led to being knocked out. Had he not of knocked out Arlovski early I think he would have lost that fight as well.

#42 ·
It's all motivation from people who hate the monopoly that the UFC has on mma. They try to discredit every fighter who is in the UFC. Figthers who are in the UFC now but were somewhere else in the past are always garbage now but always phenoms back in the day. And apparently dana white is an evil mastermind that sets up fights to bolster certain fighters images, that's why he made forrest griffin fight anderson silva and Lyoto Machida fight Shogun. I'm sure the crowd booing the lhw champ was all part of his master plan.

#44 ·
How many of those opponents that fedor has been will lose to fedor in a ring? I think if Fedor fought lesnar in the ring then Fedor hands down would be the winner. Lesnar's main strength is his wrestling, which the cage would be an obvious advantage. The more fedor gets used to the cage, the less dangerous Lesnar will be. If you take lesnar out of the cage and into the ring, I think a lot of top fighers would beat him easily.

#46 ·
That's an interesting point that we haven't addressed yet. Going back to the beginning of the UFC, the rules and cage (although changed now) have always heavily favored grapplers.

edit: Fedor is a grappler though, although dazzled by his recent victories his bread and butter is Judo and *****. Interesting perhaps to think that, once he's accustomed to the cage, perhaps it will play a big part in his future victories?

#45 ·
I think the punch that ko'd Brett would have ko'd Brock. But Fed wouldn't have been nearly as threatened on the feet - so the punch would have come sooner. For that reason Brocks awesome ground game wouldn't actually be the determining factor.

Who has Fed beat that Brock couldn't? Brett imo. Better striking, and good enough wrestling and size to win on the feet.

Or maybe Brock is better... It's hard to say, he hasn't fought anyone that awesome yet, it's mainly based on his size. But of course size isn't nothing.

#49 · (Edited)
Wow people are really comparing Brock's career to Fedor? After 6 fights? Seriously? The guy hasnt faced a real striker. No one in this forum would know how he would react to being hit hard(Legs/Head). Like Joe Louis said "Everyone has a plan until they've been hit."

The real question isn't if Brock can beat any of Fedor's opponents.. but WOULD FEDOR DESTROY ANY OF BROCK'S CURRENT RESUME?

Oh yeah..Stop overhyping Rogers.. seriously.. thats like ridiculous

#52 ·
These arguments are a bit silly Kongo could beat Lesnar if he lands the right shot at the HW division one punch can end the fight or kick (GG over Cro Cop). If you are talking the total package I think its silly to say that Lesnar who has fought five times and lost once is better than even Nog, who has fought 30+ times. I think the HW in the UFC is still young and growing and I don't mean age I mean fight experience I know Carwin is 80 (33). So before we say Carwin/Brock/Cain are as good as Fedor/Nog lets see them fight a few more times?

#53 ·
Like i've said before, Lesnar's MAIN advantage is the cage. The Cage plays heavily for wrestlers who mainly win utilizing control of their opponent, pressing and pinning their opponent against the cage. Take the cage away from brock and throw him in the ring and i think a lot of people could take Lesnar out easily. The strikers and BJJ guys would really have a run at lesnar. If Lesnar fought Fedor in the ring, i highly doubt lesnar would have his way with fedor. Fedor would have all the ROOM in the world to move around and submit Lesnar. Whereas, in a cage if brock pins down fedor against the cage then fedor is limited to where he can go. Lesnar uses his size, strength, reach, and cage advantage well, but skill wise.. he is a baby compared to fedor. Fedor always has the the disadvantage when it comes to reach, height, strength department when it comes to fighting. He basically OVERCOMES all of this with his skills alone. This is something that brock can only dream about doing right now.

#56 ·
I would say arlovski because I havnt seen him on his back much and his striking is world class

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.