Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Baddest Man Alive
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who can beat Matt Hughes? I think BJ Penn stands a chance but my prediction is he'll get caught in a choke in the 4th round. Matt Hughes is a very dominating force. I'm not sure if any of the welterweights in the UFC can go to the mat with him and come back up in one piece. I say Matt Hughes gets through BJ Penn, but drops the title late this year, early next year to Georges St. Pierre. And does anyone know if Royce Gracie will stay true to his claim of fighting again in the octagon this year? :cheeky4:
 

·
canadian champ
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
BJ will. He beat him before when no one said he could so maybe he will again. GSP had trouble keeping him down and i don't think hughes can strike as good as GSP so i don't think he will win.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
moldy said:
BJ will. He beat him before when no one said he could so maybe he will again. GSP had trouble keeping him down and i don't think hughes can strike as good as GSP so i don't think he will win.
It's possible but I cant see it. Hughes has all the confidence in the world going in this fight, and BJ is coming off a loss from GSP (the original number one contender) so that cant feel good.

BJ is definitely the better striker but he doesnt completely overmatch Hughes. I can see this fight going 4 or last the entire 5 rounds with just a bunch of ground work and submission attempts, but I'll say Hughes in unanimous decision.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,069 Posts
Personally i dont think hughes is lookin forward to fighting bj..he knows he was dominated in their first fight, and that can really weigh on a fighters mind..i think bj will beat hughes, than gsp will fight bj and win again..than matt will fight diego for the title shot at gsp..thats the welterweight break down for 2007 :thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
jdun11 said:
Personally i dont think hughes is lookin forward to fighting bj..he knows he was dominated in their first fight, and that can really weigh on a fighters mind..i think bj will beat hughes, than gsp will fight bj and win again..than matt will fight diego for the title shot at gsp..thats the welterweight break down for 2007 :thumbsup:
Yeah but ever since that fight Hughes has had tougher competition, has been more dominant then BJ, and has been undefeated.

I think his loss will only motivate him, Hughes is a smart fighter so he wont get over emotional and try to take him out early, Hughes is one of the best at taking his time so I'll stick with him.

Heres how I see it.

Hughes > Penn
GSP > Hughes
GSP > TUF4 winner
GSP > Sanchez
Then maybe a #1 contender fight with Koscheck/Parisyan perhaps?

Thats my take :D
 

·
I eat babies
Joined
·
7,894 Posts
Alex_DeLarge said:
Yeah but ever since that fight Hughes has had tougher competition, has been more dominant then BJ, and has been undefeated.
Sorry, I gotta disagree with that. Since their last fight here's who they've fought:

BJ
Duane Ludwig (Won in Rd.1 at 1:45 by submission)
Rodrigo Gracie (Won by Unanimous Decision)
Ryoto Machida (Loss by Unanimous Decision)
Renzo Gracie (Won by Unanimous Decision)
Georges St. Pierre (Loss by Split Decision)

Matt
Renato Verissimo (Won by Unanimous Decision)
Georges St. Pierre (Won in Rd.1 at 4:59 by submission)
Frank Trigg (Won in Rd.1 at 4:05 by submission)
Joe Riggs (Won in Rd.1 at 3:28 by submission)
Royce Gracie (Won in Rd.1 at 4:39 by TKO)

Now not to take anything away from Matt, he did dominate those opponents (except for Verissimo for some reason), but the opponents BJ faced were all better than everyone on Matt's list except GSP of course, and maybe Royce. Even though BJ has a couple losses, he has nothing to be ashamed of and I guarantee he is not sweating it at all. He put up great fights against both Machida and GSP and Machida is a LHW!

You're right that Matt has a good chance to win this but Matt has NOT faced tougher opponents than BJ. Other than Sean Sherk, the only tougher opponent that Matt has faced in his career that BJ has not faced, is B.J. Penn. :laugh: It's true too think about it. In other words, other than Sherk, the only opponent in Matt's career that is tougher than anyone in BJ's career, is BJ.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
WouldLuv2FightU said:
Sorry, I gotta disagree with that. Since their last fight here's who they've fought:

BJ
Duane Ludwig (Won in Rd.1 at 1:45 by submission)
Rodrigo Gracie (Won by Unanimous Decision)
Ryoto Machida (Loss by Unanimous Decision)
Renzo Gracie (Won by Unanimous Decision)
Georges St. Pierre (Loss by Split Decision)

Matt
Renato Verissimo (Won by Unanimous Decision)
Georges St. Pierre (Won in Rd.1 at 4:59 by submission)
Frank Trigg (Won in Rd.1 at 4:05 by submission)
Joe Riggs (Won in Rd.1 at 3:28 by submission)
Royce Gracie (Won in Rd.1 at 4:39 by TKO)

Now not to take anything away from Matt, he did dominate those opponents (except for Verissimo for some reason), but the opponents BJ faced were all better than everyone on Matt's list except GSP of course, and maybe Royce. Even though BJ has a couple losses, he has nothing to be ashamed of and I guarantee he is not sweating it at all. He put up great fights against both Machida and GSP and Machida is a LHW!

You're right that Matt has a good chance to win this but Matt has NOT faced tougher opponents than BJ. Other than Sean Sherk, the only tougher opponent that Matt has faced in his career that BJ has not faced, is B.J. Penn. :laugh: It's true too think about it. In other words, other than Sherk, the only opponent in Matt's career that is tougher than anyone in BJ's career, is BJ.
I gotta disagree there as well. Ludwig has beaten some pretty big names but has also lost to below average fighters. Just because Rodrigo fights in PRIDE doesnt make him better then any UFC fighter, including the people Matt has faced. Ryoto is the real deal I agree there, but so is GSP. Renzo Gracie? No competition there.

Disagree there about BJ being Matts toughest opponent, we're not talking about all their fights, just the fights after their first encounter. I think it has been shown that GSP has been Matts toughest opponent. In the first fight GSP was clearly dominating the first round and got caught in a silly armbar. And it was clear GSP was the better fighter then BJ (arguably of course) after he defeated him. But yes I agree BJ was Matts toughest challenge aside from GSP. Thing is Matt is as confident in his career then ever I believe, he has everything to gain in this fight and BJ has nothing to lose.

Bottom line is this is going to be a good fight, probably one of the most anticipated rematches I think I've seen in a while.
 

·
The American Psycho
Joined
·
7,096 Posts
Alex_DeLarge said:
It's possible but I cant see it. Hughes has all the confidence in the world going in this fight, and BJ is coming off a loss from GSP (the original number one contender) so that cant feel good.

BJ is definitely the better striker but he doesnt completely overmatch Hughes. I can see this fight going 4 or last the entire 5 rounds with just a bunch of ground work and submission attempts, but I'll say Hughes in unanimous decision.
Hughes has confidence but so does BJ Penn! His loss to Georges was Razor thin! When Georges went to the hospital BJ went to the bar! If he could do that to St. Pierre imagine what he'll do to Matt!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
Bonnar426 said:
Hughes has confidence but so does BJ Penn! His loss to Georges was Razor thin! When Georges went to the hospital BJ went to the bar! If he could do that to St. Pierre imagine what he'll do to Matt!
It might have been razor thin but the bottom line is GSP was the original #1 contender, to know that you're a fill-in CANT, regardless if you think you've won that fight cant be good.

Of course he's confident, but no where near on the level of Hughes.

Who cares what they did after the fight? That has nothing to do with anything.
 

·
The American Psycho
Joined
·
7,096 Posts
Alex_DeLarge said:
It might have been razor thin but the bottom line is GSP was the original #1 contender, to know that you're a fill-in CANT, regardless if you think you've won that fight cant be good.

Of course he's confident, but no where near on the level of Hughes.

Who cares what they did after the fight? That has nothing to do with anything.
Sure it does! Your making BJ loss to Georges out to be the biggest burden on his shoulders when he steps into that octagon with Hughes. You might think he looks back at that night and he feels completely demoralized. When BJ looks back at that night, he is thinking how he sent George St. Pierre to the hospital. Right now his confidence is equal to Hughes if not more!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
ok,#1 i cant see anyone being able to DOMINATE Matt Hughes within at least the next year. #2 I understand the loss that BJ had against GSP, very good fight GSP did win but BJ hung in there, I think that BJ is a very good match up for Matt, as Lso GSP is an will be next year! Matt has appeared to get alot smarter and is not looking to end the fight in the first round. We will see how good BJ has been working on cardio. this fight i think is going to be 4 rounds, by then Matt would have worked BJ standing and on the ground and then round 4 KO complments of Matt Hughes THE WELTER WEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD! I am not in the least saying BJ is not a good fighter, i just think that he can not beat Matt Hughes at this time. I think GSP would be a better match up until he pulled his FIZZLE STRING:laugh:.Matt is and has been at the top of his game for a while now and i cant see him going anywhere anytime soon.:cheeky4:
 

·
LEGEN...wait for it...DARY
Joined
·
5,398 Posts
I am going to have to agree with wouldluv2fightu on this about the level of competition. BJ certainly gets the edge with Machida (Ko'd Rich Franklin) and GSP alone. Because GSP lost last time he faced Hughes and everyone knows he is a better fighter now. What was his last fight? That would be the one against BJ.

As for the weighing on the fighter's mind part that someone mentioned. A champion will use that as inspiration to whip his ass next time. BJ would be at the disadvantage here because he might (doubtful) go into the fight thinking there is no way to lose and take his competitor lightly because he has already beaten him.

The only advantage I can give Hughes is work ethic. He trains harder even when he doesn't know if he is going to fight. The guy is a workhorse and BJ has been labeled lazy as far as training practices are concerned.

In the ring skill, BJ has the edge standing and on the ground. The guy has amazing balance, center of gravity, flexibility and knowledge. But, if the fight last more than one round look out for Hughes to take over.

I personally, think Hughes will win for that reason.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top