Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who won the first round ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
many people claimed that Rory won that round based on takedown . but i think it was all condit . yes he got taken down 3 times , but Rory did NOTHING on the ground and got beat up in Condit Vicious (and beautiful) Guard . on the feet condit landed more and rocked Rory once .

thoughts ?

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I scored it 10:9 for Condit as well! For the reasons you mentioned. He did close to nothing in Condits guard. If MacDonald had won a decision here, you could have called that a robbery in my eyes. The last round was a 10:8!

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Condit all the way. He was landing in the standup with almost no counter by Rory and when Rory was laying and praying Condit was throwing elbows and setting up submissions. That's an easy 10-9 for Condit and I don't see how you can score it otherwise without being Canadian. When Rogan said it probably went to Rory I was REALLY irritated. In retrospect I think Rogan was halfway up MacDonald's small intestine.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Some of the most biased commentating i have seen from Rogan. Condit clearly won the round. I can see the judges giving it to rory though just because he was on top. Scoring and judging is a joke.

·
Registered
780 Posts
personally i think that a rubber guard and beat them up is better then a takedown and sit on them. Condit.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
MacDonald won that round and to argue otherwise really means you are only understanding how your WISH MMA was scored and not how it really is in reality.

1st off the striking was pretty close, MacDonald landed some good counters through out the fight. 1st round I would say Condit landed a bit more but MacDonald landed the better shots. Couple that with numerous TD's. He couldn't do anything with them, to bad don't matter how many threads we have had about wether they should count because right now in the sport they do count.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I would have scored the fight a draw but being in Vancouver the crowd very likely would influence the decision. Right or wrong we see it happen time and time again I think it should have been a draw but I think it would have likely went to MacDonald.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
MacDonald won that round and to argue otherwise really means you are only understanding how your WISH MMA was scored and not how it really is in reality.

1st off the striking was pretty close, MacDonald landed some good counters through out the fight. 1st round I would say Condit landed a bit more but MacDonald landed the better shots. Couple that with numerous TD's. He couldn't do anything with them, to bad don't matter how many threads we have had about wether they should count because right now in the sport they do count.
I scored it for Condit. But we have to think about this post here. A lot of the time judging is total crap and confuses everyone.

If i was a judge I would have said Condit so I am happy that the fight was ended early so that the right fighter won.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I personally gave it to condit, according to my scoring. But I can definitely see almost any ufc judge giving it to macdonald. Which is lame, but thats how it is right now, take downs are the second coming of jesus.

·
Banned
525 Posts
Clearly MacDonald won rounds 1 and 2. Anyone who thinks otherwise obviously didn't even watch the fight. Granted, Condit probably did do more damage while standing, but the being taken down and held down, damaged or not, means the 2 or 3 strikes you landed mean nil. It's called octagon control! And I'm pretty sure that takedowns count more than a punch. I think that the punch scoring is close to the same as it is in boxing. 1 punch landed, 1 point. But the takedown is 1 point for completing the takedown, holding him down and advancing position, octagon control and effective aggression, is at least 1 point, and any strikes landed or submissions attempted is 1 point. No matter how far your head is up your own ass, if you actually watched the 1st round, Condit landed like 2 punches, 3 leg kicks, 1 hard, 1 slap, 1 countered. MacDonald took him down and held him down 3 times. Plus he had Condit backing up for pretty much the entire round. MacDonald controlled the octagon and he was effectively aggressive. MacDonald controlled the 1st round and he was on top on the ground everytime. HE WON! You are delusional if you think otherwise.

·
Banned
525 Posts
Even MacDonalds corner had him losing that first round.
Until you have valid proof of that, I call bullshit. During the fight, his corner never said a damn thing about him losing the first round, in between rounds. Word for word, his cornerman said, "You looked excellent. Throw more jabs though. You are throwing too many wide hooks when he comes in." Constructive criticism but not saying he lost by any means.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
CARLOS CONDIT

-"I probably lost the first two rounds in the judge’s score cards. He was not hurting me but he was controlling me. I caught him in the third and just kept the pressure on him to get the stoppage. My corner told me that I have to finish him so I just came out with guns a blazing."

Listening to the advice given to him before round three sure didn't sound like advice given to someone who was going into the third round even. That's the way I read it.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Clearly MacDonald won rounds 1 and 2. Anyone who thinks otherwise obviously didn't even watch the fight. Granted, Condit probably did do more damage while standing, but the being taken down and held down, damaged or not, means the 2 or 3 strikes you landed mean nil. It's called octagon control! And I'm pretty sure that takedowns count more than a punch. I think that the punch scoring is close to the same as it is in boxing. 1 punch landed, 1 point. But the takedown is 1 point for completing the takedown, holding him down and advancing position, octagon control and effective aggression, is at least 1 point, and any strikes landed or submissions attempted is 1 point. No matter how far your head is up your own ass, if you actually watched the 1st round, Condit landed like 2 punches, 3 leg kicks, 1 hard, 1 slap, 1 countered. MacDonald took him down and held him down 3 times. Plus he had Condit backing up for pretty much the entire round. MacDonald controlled the octagon and he was effectively aggressive. MacDonald controlled the 1st round and he was on top on the ground everytime. HE WON! You are delusional if you think otherwise.
Problem is he DIDN'T Advance position and he was eating elbows the entire time he was on the ground. The only time i remember him not being in Condit's guard was when he took him down and landed in side control. After about 5 seconds of being in side control Carlos already had half butterfly. He wasn't controlling Carlos, Carlos was content to sit with him in his guard and beat the piss out of him. Almost every time Carlos tried to stand up, he did.

According to an MMA Judge, yeah he probably won the round laying on top of him and scoring a couple takedowns while getting hit in the face but you have to remember, many of us believe that MMA judges score takedowns ENTIRELY too high, myself included. Hell, did you SEE King Mo vs Mousasi? Mo just laid there and got the shit kicked out of him for 5 rounds but he was on top so he got the win, it's complete horseshit. Fighters can and HAVE won fights from their guard.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Yes... McDonald took Condit down 4 times, at 4:50(he let him up) 4:10, 2:20 and in the last 10 seconds. He really rocked Condit at 2:30. At 1:15 he had Condits nose bleeding. He was the aggresor the whole round and absolutely controled where Condit went.
The problem I see is that the rules for scoring are badly explained and they seem to leave it up to each judge to decide what trumps what.
In boxing they only strike with fists. This makes it much easier to judge, though it isn't easy to judge. In MMA there are a dozen, maybe more ways to score with no clear way to score it. Some said that McDonald did nothing while on top of Condit, yet he aggresively took him down and controled Condit.
Since there are no real rules on how to score, each of us can make a claim for either fighter. I have stated my case for McDonald winning rd. one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.