Votes: 77 88.5%
  • Fabricio Werdum

Votes: 10 11.5%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I'm not advocating a one of those instant rematches that promoters seem so fond of these days. I believe they're very, very unfair to the fighter who won the first bout.

But seeing as a Fedor-Werdum rematch seems a possibility, I'd like to know who this forum would favor in such a contest.

I've got Fedor here, as I still seem him as the more complete fighter, but someone who was overconfident and paid for it with a submission loss. With a slightly more conservative approach, I see him beating Werdum.

Who you got?

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Instant rematches can be unfair, true, but in this instance, Werdrum actually seems to be calling for it. I'd have to go with Fedor myself. I know the hip thing to do right now is write him off and dismiss his legacy, but the simple fact of the matter is he was caught by a submission that he could easily avoid in a second bout. It would be as simple as pulling a page out of Anderson's book and saying, 'No, I'm not chasing you to the ground'. And I don't think it any mystery who would win the stand-up war.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I'd take Fedor easily.

He thought he had Werdum hurt and was over aggressive and just about jumped right into that triangle.

In the rematch I dont think he would engage Werdum with the same over aggressiveness he did in last nights fight.

If Fedor keeps the fight on the feet he would win easily IMO.........

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I see Fedor losing against Werdum similar to GSP losing to Serra. He's a much better fighter than Werdum, but he got careless and paid for it.

Fedor gave Werdum the win, all Werdum had to do was routine BJJ to catch him. Fedor had his warning when Werdum almost had his arm, then he just continued going wild until he was in a triangle. He had no composure, did not anticipate the triangle and probably didn't respect Werdum's ground game. It's like Fedor didn't give a crap about potential subs, he just wanted to finish him.

I guarantee that Fedor would crush Werdum in a rematch. That fight just shows Fedor is human, and that he can make mistakes. I think most would agree too. Look at the positions Fedor got out of against Arona, he can deal with high level BJJ but just not when he's going crazy, trying to finish the fight when Werdum wasn't even badly hurt.

Only problem for Fedor is his age and time spent fighting. How will this loss affect him and his work ethic? We will see, he'll probably fight the winner of Overeem and Werdum.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Fedor isn't an intelligent fighter he would get subbed again. He tries to fight guys where their strength is instead of avoiding it like the true P4P kings GSP and Andy. That shit doesn't work when you aren't beating up cans.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Fedor isn't an intelligent fighter he would get subbed again. He tries to fight guys where their strength is instead of avoiding it like the true P4P kings GSP and Andy. That shit doesn't work when you aren't beating up cans.
:confused03:

You cant have his record and not be an intelligent fighter. Post fail.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why should Fedor get an IMMEDIATE rematch? Nonsense. Fabricio won fair and square. It wasn't controversial. It was a clean finish. Why don't we give everyone immediate rematchs every time they lose while we're at it?

It's gonna be easier for Fedor in the rematch because he'll now avoid the ground like the plague. He shouldn't have the opportunity to go back and correct his mistakes. It's just lame. What would be the point of the first fight then?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why should Fedor get an IMMEDIATE rematch? Nonsense. Fabricio won fair and square. It wasn't controversial. It was a clean finish. Why don't we give everyone immediate rematchs every time they lose while we're at it?

It's gonna be easier for Fedor in the rematch because he'll now avoid the ground like the plague. He shouldn't have the opportunity to go back and correct his mistakes. It's just lame. What would be the point of the first fight then?
come on now

·
Banned
0 Posts

FTR...Fedor was asked and he said if Fabricio would be willing to rematch he would like the opportunity to avenge the loss, if not that was okay too....Fedor is not a dick and does not act as if he is deserving of anything IMO....

·
Registered
229 Posts
its either a rematch with werdum or he fights big foot or rogers...

strikeforce matchmaking at its finest :thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
FTR...Fedor was asked and he said if Fabricio would be willing to rematch he would like the opportunity to avenge the loss, if not that was okay too....Fedor is not a ick and does not act as if he is deserving of anything IMO....
I'm aware of this. And I never implied any of that. I'm just referring to the fans thinking Fedor should get a rematch. I've been reading this a lot lately and I just think it's utter BS. It's coming from a place of, "We need to see Fedor winnn!" IMO It's not coming from a love of the sport and what can happen in competition.
You don't get to re-do the World Series or the Super Bowl.

If Fedor-Werdum decide to rematch, so be it. I'll watch it. I don't think he deserves one immediately, in the same way anyone who loses doesn't deserve one immediately. But if Werdum grants it, awesome!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm aware of this. And I never implied any of that. I'm just referring to the fans thinking Fedor should get a rematch. I've been reading this a lot lately and I just think it's utter BS. It's coming from a place of, "We need to see Fedor winnn!" IMO It's not coming from a love of the sport and what can happen in competition.
You don't get to re-do the World Series or the Super Bowl.

If Fedor-Werdum decide to rematch, so be it. I'll watch it. I don't think he deserves one immediately, in the same way anyone who loses doesn't deserve one immediately. But if Werdum grants it, awesome!
remember you are talking about FEDOR. its his first loss.......he deserves a rematch............

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
I don't know what Fedor was thinking before the fight, but he seemed alot more amped up then I have ever seen him. He got careless and jumped into the lethal guard of Fabricio Werdum without protecting himself, and paid the ultimate price. Brilliant job by Werdum, but I don't see Fedor doing the same mistake again. Great fighters learn from their losses and improve, GSP being the best example. Fedor could do that aswell.

So yeah, I like Fedor in a rematch.

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
Gotta go with Fedor here, he's just more well rounded and as somebody else in here mentioned, he made an error of judgement last night... So, he's human, who would've thunk it? :p

Would love to see Fedor - BigFoot though ;P

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.