Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evans seems pretty relaxed when trash talking. Rampage seems more stressed. It's a proven fact that you can weaken your opponent if you get inside his head and stress him out or get him to dump too much adrenaline. Athletes have known this for hundreds of years. There's even scientific proof stress can cause muscle weakness, even immediately right at the moment.

Now if you're not in your opponents league, it won't do you any good, but for close match ups, it can definitely turn the tide. The question is, who's got the mental edge going into this? Rampage has been trash talking for years and it's probably benefited him. But I don't recall someone in his face like Rashad. Not that I blame Rashad, as Rampage pretty much started the whole thing. Now he says it's motivating him to train harder, and that may work to his confidence and strengthen him. But he seems pissed off all the time. Like in this interview. If I were to call it I'd say Rashad has the edge.

Theories?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know I'm buying into the hype here, hook, line and sinker but **** it, Rampage looks like a man possessed.

I would much, MUCH rather step into the ring with Rashad right now. Getting in their head is all well and good for other sports, but is it really the wisest move winding up somebody to the point where they're never gonna quit no matter what you throw at them? Breaking somebody into making mistakes in Tennis or whatever is very different to bating Rampage before an actual fight.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I'm buying into the hype here, hook, line and sinker but **** it, Rampage looks like a man possessed.

I would much, MUCH rather step into the ring with Rashad right now. Getting in their head is all well and good for other sports, but is it really the wisest move winding up somebody to the point where they're never gonna quit no matter what you throw at them? Breaking somebody into making mistakes in Tennis or whatever is very different to bating Rampage before an actual fight.
You may have a point, but mma is a sport and requires one to keep their cool. The only situation I can think of in the past is his fight with Wandi, where there was a lot of tension. Rampage looked terrible in both those pride fights. I'm wondering if he relaxed himself a little for their third fight.

A contrast might be Henderson Bisbing. Bisbing trash talked a lot, and Henderson basically was totally relaxed. Page can't seem to relax. That question could have been answered easily, yet he flew off the handle. Just doesn't seem like he's in control.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You may have a point, but mma is a sport and requires one to keep their cool. The only situation I can think of in the past is his fight with Wandi, where there was a lot of tension. Rampage looked terrible in both those pride fights. I'm wondering if he relaxed himself a little for their third fight.

A contrast might be Henderson Bisbing. Bisbing trash talked a lot, and Henderson basically was totally relaxed. Page can't seem to relax. That question could have been answered easily, yet he flew off the handle. Just doesn't seem like he's in control.
Well my point is you wouldn't poke a bear with a stick before getting into a cage with it - I wouldn't poke Rampage either.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Rampage is a crazy man pissing him off is a bad idea. When he just tries to stand in the center of the octagon and counter punch he can be outpointed. A super agressive Rampage that is trying to kill you is damn near unstoppable for Rashad.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my point is you wouldn't poke a bear with a stick before getting into a cage with it - I wouldn't poke Rampage either.
But that's because you don't have a chance of being stronger than the Bear. That's not the case here. These are relatively evenly matched fighters. I firmly believe this is what gave Ali the edge against Foreman. You could have made the same argument there, and everyone thought Foreman was going to kill Ali. The psych game works. Stress weakens the body, and Rampage looks stressed to me.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
The difference between Rashad and Wandy?

Wandy tried to brawl, Rashad won't.

Rampage gets mad and he wants to brawl. That's why he's trying to smack talk Rashad into fighting the fight his way, calling me weak if he doesn't. I'm sure Rashad won't care, he'll go in there and secure the takedown, then Rampage fans will be saying "... damn..." to themselves over and over again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
But that's because you don't have a chance of being stronger than the Bear. That's not the case here. These are relatively evenly matched fighters. I firmly believe this is what gave Ali the edge against Foreman. You could have made the same argument there, and everyone thought Foreman was going to kill Ali. The psych game works. Stress weakens the body, and Rampage looks stressed to me.
To be fair everything you say is correct. But as I've alrdy said, I've been suckered into the hype in a big way and I'm hoping a crazed Rampage comes out and annihilates him.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think Rashad is in Rampage's head.
They don't like eachother but Evans seem to be able to laugh about it and smile about it occasionally.

So Rashad appears to have the upper hand. Rampage is very mad and I doubt that anger is a performance enhancer.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think Rashad is in Rampage's head.
They don't like eachother but Evans seem to be able to laugh about it and smile about it occasionally.

So Rashad appears to have the upper hand. Rampage is very mad and I doubt that anger is a performance enhancer.
Bingo. I've seen rampage talk trash in the past, but enjoy himself doing it. Now he's all stressed and bitter. And Rashad really isn't that great a trash talker. He's just enjoying process. At least he seems to enjoy it. Nothing Rampage seems to say gets under his skin.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
That's why he's trying to smack talk Rashad into fighting the fight his way, calling me weak if he doesn't
Are you Rashad IRL :confused02:

Now it makes sense :thumb02:

But yeah back on topic Rashad has definitely gotten inside Rampage's head. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing, I guess we'll find out on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Are you Rashad IRL :confused02:

Now it makes sense :thumb02:

But yeah back on topic Rashad has definitely gotten inside Rampage's head. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing, I guess we'll find out on Saturday.
AGH!! That was an honest mistake. I'm not Rashad peoples.

I'm really wondering why I typed that though...

·
Registered
468 Posts
I do think it's a strategy by Rashad to get Rampage worked up and I think it's working to a degree. However, I think Rampage is the wrong kind of fighter to do it to. A full on raging Rampage is going to be very hard to deal with and I think Rashad is going to end up regretting his strategy.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do think it's a strategy by Rashad to get Rampage worked up and I think it's working to a degree. However, I think Rampage is the wrong kind of fighter to do it to. A full on raging Rampage is going to be very hard to deal with and I think Rashad is going to end up regretting his strategy.
That's a possibility. In theory some could actually become better fighters when angered, if they can keep focused and controlled. I'm just saying, Rampage doesn't seem controlled. He seems genuinely rattled. And Rashad doesn't that's the other thing. Both are talking trash and one seems to be more affect than the other.

Again, using Henderson as an example. He hated Bisbing. No question. And that had a big affect on his fighting I believe. But I never saw him out of control. I never saw him hitting focus pads and screaming "die" after each blow. That just seems a little desperate to me.

But maybe they're just different personalities.

·
Registered
468 Posts
That's a possibility. In theory some could actually become better fighters when angered, if they can keep focused and controlled. I'm just saying, Rampage doesn't seem controlled. He seems genuinely rattled. And Rashad doesn't that's the other thing. Both are talking trash and one seems to be more affect than the other.

Again, using Henderson as an example. He hated Bisbing. No question. And that had a big affect on his fighting I believe. But I never saw him out of control. I never saw him hitting focus pads and screaming "die" after each blow. That just seems a little desperate to me.

But maybe they're just different personalities.
I see what you're saying, it's possible that Rampage goes over-crazy trying to knock Rashad out, get's taken down at will, get's totally frustrated and gasses. I don't think so though. I think Rampage is experienced enough to be aware of those dangers, and I think he'll settle down more as the fight goes on and he's used up a bit of that "angry" energy. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it goes though.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Rashad is definitely the calmer and less aggrevated of the two, but I would bet money that he's the only one who's scared. Rampage might be scared of losing, but he knows Rashad isn't the sort of fighter than can hurt him. Rashad on the other hand knows his chin is a bit suspect and that Rampage has bombs for fists, so I think is actually scared of what he's going to meet on fight night.

Who wouldn't be scared of Rampage? The guy has a granite chin, solid wrestling and KO power. Fighters of Rashad's caliber just haven't got the sort of ferocity to dominate him. Lay on him, outpoint him. pitter patter with him, but not actually go in and put a beating on him.

2 more sleeps people, two more f'in sleeps :thumb02:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.