Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, as I do watch alot of UFC, but am probably not as knowledgable as some of you guys on here. Why are fighters allowed to not fight certain fighters and such? I have heard recently that AS won't fight certain people as they are friends and whatnot, but as a champion and a fighter, wouldn't you be expected to fight everyone and anyone, regardless of who they were and wether you were friends or not? Is this happeneing in his own weight class, or is this speculation on when and if he moves up or down in weight?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Silva-Machida would be more like a special attraction, since they're is no real point of them fighting (because the main goal is the championships in your own divisions)
So Silva kinda has the right to refuse from that match-up. He loses a bit respect, but, as we've lately seen, respect doesn't seem to mean much for Anderson.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
if a fighter doesnt think the opponent they put infront on his deserves to fight him, or has nothing to gain out of fighting him, he has every right to decline the fight. I personally think Silva should have declined Maia and ask for a LHW fight. I know that Belfort got injured and Sonnen was too banged up, but theres no way Maia deserved to be in there to begin with.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if a fighter doesnt think the opponent they put infront on his deserves to fight him, or has nothing to gain out of fighting him, he has every right to decline the fight. I personally think Silva should have declined Maia and ask for a LHW fight. I know that Belfort got injured and Sonnen was too banged up, but theres no way Maia deserved to be in there to begin with.
Interesting.

I don't think Maia was in the same class either, and as much as I respect AS skills as a fighter, he could have handled everything so much better.

I just figured, if someone is a contender, regardless wether the one fighter feels he is better, etc. he should be made to fight him. I realize there are not too many left that could even give AS a run for his money, but when one comes about, nothing should stop it from happening. Same as the Tito/Chuck thing, Tito should never have been allowed to dodge him. If Chuck was the top of the stack for the belt, then he has to fight him, end of story. Know what I mean?

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Yea, he could have handled things differently. but what made Maia a contender besides the top people being injured? He got KTFO by Marquardt and won vs Dan Miller, which I dont even know where he is ranked but I dont think its in the top 10.

I think Dana made a bad move in forcing a title match, It would have been better on paper as well as probably the final result in the PPV if he gave Silva a LHW.

The problem also is that you cant give BJJ guys to Silva who have zero striking skills. They always try to force a takedown and Silva wont follow you to the ground, you have to earn the takedown. At least if you give him a BJJ guy, make sure hes got good enough striking to properly setup a takedown.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer your question

fighters have been able to not fight fellow camp members but dana just recently has stated that this will no longer be the case
IMHO, this should have always been the case. If you intend to be the champ, or to be a top contender, you have to beat everybody that is at your level, regardless of wether you train with them or not. If that person is a contender and a credible threat, then they should be made to fight. Of course, only if they are a credible threat of course, they should not be throwing people at each other for the hell of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.