Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BJ’s corner told him to take Edgar down. I believe the stand up was close and resembled a boxing match w/ Edgar landing more punches jabs and staying active on his feet, while BJ stalked and landed more power punches. There was two momentary takedowns by Edgar, several takedowns defenses by BJ, and a few kicks here and there. Not the most exciting fight in my opinion.
Knowing that BJ likes to finish fights, I don’t know why he didn’t take Edgar down and use his BJJ to submit or size to Gn’P? Only reason I can think of is that BJ being BJ wanted to prove that he could beat Edgar standing (Edgar’s strength).

Discuss…

·
Registered
742 Posts
I dunno why BJ doesn't take fight's down more in general, BJ on top is lethal for anyone in the LW division and it almost seems like he can sub anyone at will once he gets on top. During the Florian fight I was sitting there the entire time wondering why BJ wasn't shooting, especially since Florian would only let him land a few punches and was just holding him against the cage. His boxing is really good but at 155 your power is limited and it seems he can win these fights alot easier than he already does by subbing guys.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I can only guess. By the time his corner told him to shoot he already seemed to be getting tired. Maybe he didn't want to grapple because he felt it would waste alot of energy if Edgar managed to escape. Or maybe BJ was just being stubborn and really wanted to catch Edgar with a fight ending shot.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Well I believe after being taken down the first time, he became a little shy of the wrestling game. Then, after being taken down a second time, he knew he wasn't going to be able to 1. catch Frankie, 2. take him down.

Either this, or his lead knee was prohibiting him from shooting. This is very likely.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
He wanted to put on a exciting show and it cost him. I dont think he wanted to take a opponent on the ground and possibly not finish him seeing how GSP got a lot of hate for that.

·
Senior Member.
324 Posts
Probably just another case of having a bad game plan. Maybe BJ thought the fight was a lot closer, when in fact Edgar really took the fight the later it went on.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
It was Frankie's movement, BJ was having trouble timing him.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Either this, or his lead knee was prohibiting him from shooting. This is very likely.
I was thinking maybe it was his knee also but also found his cardio questionable in the later rounds. I thought he was in the better shape w/his strength and conditioning program?

Edgar's footwork and speed was impressive but I've always followed the unwritten law..." To be the Champion, you have to beat the Champion!!" I don't think Edgar ever put BJ in danger, and BJ took the risk of engaging a counter striker to make the fight more interesting as Spec0688 mentioned, so maybe this was his downfall?

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
I was thinking maybe it was his knee also but also found his cardio questionable in the later rounds. . .
By the way, Alex, you're not anything to Charlie Z, are you?

·
Crazy Kicker
957 Posts
I wish Bj would have just subbed him from the bottom. U could tell by hwo quick he got up he was years ahead of frankie on the ground

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm not really sure about his knee stopping him from taking the shot. He sure was able to load up and try to hit a flying knee several times in the fight with the wrapped knee. So I would assume he could take a shot if he wanted to.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is an interview on CagePotato with Rudy Valentino discussing something about Penn having a sinus infection. Unfortunately my browser won't allow me to fully view articles on that one site, so if anyone would like to share it, that'd be great.

·
Registered
292 Posts
He did look a little gassed in the later rounds. But still, he should have made an attempt in the 1st few rounds. Was it a case of ego perhaps? We've seen it many time with other fighters.

·
Registered
603 Posts
:sarcastic12:
Great reply to the last guy,lol
On that point though Frankie actually took BJ down at one point and beng a BJ fan, I though great Frankies fell right into the trap, and then BJ stood back up, and all I could think was nooo stay down and sub him.
Maybe he was trying to prove something, I don't know, but apparently BJ had to cut weight the day of the fight, maybe this affected him as well, or maybe Bj just had a bad fight, but I thought as a whole he didn't look the same BJ of late.
Much respect to Edgar for his performance

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
:sarcastic12:
Great counter-argument!

I dont see whats so wrong about my statement, Frankie was a great college wrestler and wrestling is his base. BJ didnt try to take him down because that would be feeding into Frankie's strengths. Edgar is clearly the better wrestler as evidenced by the fact that he took BJ down three times even though no other LW has taken him down in over 6 years (according to the commentators).
So why the sarcastic emoticon? :confused02:

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
With a title like that I was expecting an article with an answer.

Does BJ know how to shoot for a take down(in MMA)?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts