Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering why mma fighters rest and train for several months while a boxing tourniment can be able to be wrapped up in under two weeks.

Each of the individual diciplines that make up MMA hold tourniments that require fighters to fight several times a day, sometimes these tourniments are held multiple times within the same month.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I am wondering why mma fighters rest and train for several months while a boxing tourniment can be able to be wrapped up in under two weeks.

Each of the individual diciplines that make up MMA hold tourniments that require fighters to fight several times a day, sometimes these tourniments are held multiple times within the same month.
I'm guessing so they can have time for their bodies to recover from any type of injury that they've gotten.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing so they can have time for their bodies to recover from any type of injury that they've gotten.
but still every other fighting dicipline can fight several times a day, I know in the early days of MMA they fought like that, and I am not asking for that. I just hate that the majority of the roster sits out 8 months to a year. I can understand fractures take two months plus training, but even with the worst of injuries you can sustain in the ring (not counting legaments or tendons) a person can stilll fight 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There's a few possible reasons. I'm thinking one factor is the fact that is is mixed martial arts. So you're a fighter and you have just fought a striker. Your next opponent is a bjj expert. Are you going to train the same for the bjj expert as for the striker? No you're going to have a different camp and focus on different things. Then take into account your game plan, knowledge of your opponent etc.

When you compete in a specific martial art, there is only one discipline you need to train, and one discipline you will be facing. In mixed martial arts there are endless varieties.

Also, the longer you have to train the more you will improve.

·
Registered
292 Posts
...and MMA has potential for more injuries. Getting kicked & checking kicks hurts like a mutha. Having someone try to rip your arm off like GSP tried to do to Hardy will deffinately increase the length of recovery required.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Rashad vs Shogun is scheduled for feb 2011 :(

·
Registered
816 Posts
Rashad vs Shogun is scheduled for feb 2011 :(
no way ! i was hoping that fight would be in sept as both fighter where not hurt! in thir last fights! so i hope thats just a rumor lol

·
Registered
750 Posts
no way ! i was hoping that fight would be in sept as both fighter where not hurt! in thir last fights! so i hope thats just a rumor lol
It's listed under bodog.ca for feb 2011.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.