Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· True Grappler
6,368 Posts
The elbow controls the shoulder and the wrist, so by articulating the elbow you gain control of the arm, the hand and the torso. Articulating the elbow in a spiral to the back and then towards the ground causes the torso to articulate and the body to turn away from you. This is the source of the Aikido techniques Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Sankyo and Yonkyo.

If you articulate the elbow forward then you can cause the elbow to lock, this can be used either as a throw or as an armbar. The armbar is a standard elbow lock a la BJJ and the throw is an Aikido throw called Shiho Nage.

That's my 2c for now.

· True Grappler
6,368 Posts
The Don said:
I knew you'd be the first to repond, great one too surprise you did not move further down the arm and explin how to controlthe wrist to trow someone in a desired direction
If you hold the wrist adjacent to the tricept and pull down while rolling the forearm it causes the opponent to lose their balance and fall backwards. There really isn't much control of the wrist required.

Instead of barring the arm, rotating it redirects the shoulder and causes the opponent to fall to the ground. The way that you spiral the arm doesn't matter, just maintain control of it.

· True Grappler
6,368 Posts
Yeah, it's all one principle. The difference is where you grip and how you apply leverage.

Also, all of the same principles apply to the feet and legs.

· True Grappler
6,368 Posts
I've got one that I know wouldn't have been brought up otherwise.

The Muay Thai Clinch: It opperates by holding the head so that the neck is bent to decrease balance and control of the other fighter. The muay thai clinch is best applied when the head is dropped and retained by pushing the forearms together against the top of the jawbone and tightening the bicepts and chest. Once this position is maintained the opponents head drops and causes the opponent to no longer have complete vision. Slowly costricting the chest and bicepts and dropping the position of the forearms will cause the head to drop even further and eventually finalize your control of your opponent.

· True Grappler
6,368 Posts
I think that this has been transfered to the Submissions showcase, because we know, usually, why strikes work.

Hyperextension is a beautiful thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.