Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever given any thought as to the science behind many of the moves we see in martial arts and why they work? While some moves are obvious, such as punching or kicking causing physical damage, swelling the areas or breaking them or what not? have you ever wondered why some moves work better on some people then they do others, like various submissions? say a choke or arm bar?

Now this might seem a bit off of a discussion, but when you understand the science behind how a body works it just allows you to be more efficient. I'll add more soon myself just curious to see what others know instead of just putting this all up as a here is the info type of thing feel free to read this way oth3ers can respond and add more readily.

· Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent respone like expected but there is a little known thing about chokes specificaly the strangle varitey, THe reason the body shuts down in about 10 seconds is not actually lack of oxygen at that point as the blood stream hold alot more then that. it is that the brain senses the drop in oxygen and in order to "restart" shuts down in hopes of getting the system rebooted. you can with training last alot long until you actually pass out from lack of O2. my personal best was bordering on 4 minutes. mind long before that things go fuzzy. and I do not recomend trying it with out experienced supervision. it is hy it is basicly impossible to choke yourself with your own hands most you will do is pass out and start breathing again. building this abality and it can be trained can give you an edge when an opponent catches you and expects you to pass out in a few seconds and you last much longer they may think the hold is not applied right and go to readjust giving you a chance to breath or break the hold. mind you when training this expect to be very hoarse and sore. I learned this from a Sensi of mine when I was stationed in Groton CT I used to ride a bike 3 miles regardless the weather to that class 5 nights a week even in the CT winter, the man was amazing and I can not for the love of me at the moment recall his name. Taught me alot about the sword and the beleifs on the Samurai and thier training.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.