Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it one bit Brock might be champ and all but it does not automatically make him the number 2 HW on every list. Its crazy look at his resume compared to both of them.

Brock Lesner...

1-1 with Mir. Good 2nd win but still has a loss to him

Beat journeyman Heath Herring, UD

Beat a 43 year old legend LHW Randy Couture.

Cain Velasquez...

Beat One dimensional striker Cheick Kongo

Beat Vet Ben Rothwell was never A lever but he beat some top guys, Cain stopped him in 2

Beat past his best Nogueira who did beat Couture a fight before

Shane Carwin...

Knocked out top contender Gabriel Gonzaga, maybe past his best?

Knocked out Frank Mir in one round.

You do the math on that one

to me its

Cain
Carwin
Brock

maybe switch Carwin for Cain is ya like....there close.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Only had 1 fight to his name yet dominated Mir before getting subbed, then dominated Herring, beat Randy very convincingly and then avenged his only career loss, putting a serious beating on Frank Mir. I'd say that's more impressive a record than almost getting KO'd by Gonzaga, looking terrible and then landing a lucky heavy punch before dominating Mir, in only slightly more impressive fashion than Brock.

JDS has the most impressive resume in the HW division. Wins over Werdum, Gonzaga, Yvel, Cro Cop and Struve. Add one of Mir, Carwin, Velasquez or Lesnar to that list and he'd be being hyped beyond belief.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Dana white made a business decision, and put out Brock vs Randy rather then a legitimate contender. He got 920,000 buys out of it. I guess it worked.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
because he is an active UFC HW Champion.

as for the rest. ive stopped worrying about it.

the best guy will win.

ppl do forget that Carwin was supposed to fight Cain for the number 1 contender.

Mirs big mouth messed up the rankings tbh. So did Carwins whole "babyface" online persona.

its a lesson for the kids out there. if your gonna be humble, honest, respectful and a role model, make sure you brag about it everytime or you will get passed over or ignored.

or just be an obnoxious loudmouth.

If Fedor was starting his career now in the UFC, he would be the last guy to get a title shot. He would need his russian buddies to talk some trash or something.

Reactions: Leed

·
Registered
780 Posts
because he is an active UFC HW Champion.

as for the rest. ive stopped worrying about it.

the best guy will win.

ppl do forget that Carwin was supposed to fight Cain for the number 1 contender.

Mirs big mouth messed up the rankings tbh. So did Carwins whole "babyface" online persona.

its a lesson for the kids out there. if your gonna be humble, honest, respectful and a role model, make sure you brag about it everytime or you will get passed over or ignored.

or just be an obnoxious loudmouth.

If Fedor was starting his career now in the UFC, he would be the last guy to get a title shot. He would need his russian buddies to talk some trash or something.
Fedor wouldnt use his "Buddies" he'd get his Brother to have a "chat" with Dana. #1 Con without fighting.

Reactions: alizio

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
apparently i was.

im sure you all missed me dearly.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I don't get it one bit Brock might be champ and all but it does not automatically make him the number 2 HW on every list. Its crazy look at his resume compared to both of them.

Brock Lesner...

1-1 with Mir. Good 2nd win but still has a loss to him

Beat journeyman Heath Herring, UD

Beat a 43 year old legend LHW Randy Couture.

Cain Velasquez...

Beat One dimensional striker Cheick Kongo

Beat Vet Ben Rothwell was never A lever but he beat some top guys, Cain stopped him in 2

Beat past his best Nogueira who did beat Couture a fight before

Shane Carwin...

Knocked out top contender Gabriel Gonzaga, maybe past his best?

Knocked out Frank Mir in one round.

You do the math on that one

to me its

Cain
Carwin
Brock

maybe switch Carwin for Cain is ya like....there close.
kinda agree with you, not to take away anything from brock but I put Cain above him and will root for Carwin in their next fight.

Wonder how fast they will give Brock his title shot if he loses vs Carwin.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^

Having the belt dont mean nothing when you got it like he did, coming off a 1-1 record in the UFC and 1-0 before.

He was pretty much given that belt without fighting a top fighter. The mir fight is the only real name on his record. He even struggled with a long past it couture.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I guess we will see how much he deserves it when he fights Carwin. I keep saying Carwin has a lot of Brock's good attributes but he also has convinced me he has kryptonite in his hands. People can give Brock his respect after he fights the top contenders.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
A lot of what Brock is rated off of is his potential.

I'm not a fan of his but he could very well run through the entire UFC HW division. Also he has big muscles and looks scary. Seriously....

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Maybe so, but wait intill he does run through them before we rate him eh.
Another thing you have to realize is that the HW division has a small talent pool. Just look at how many fighters in the top 10 only have a few fights. Or have only won 1 or 2 big fights to get ranked top 10.

Brock is a legit number 2. The problem is that with his long layoff all the fighters under him have gotten a few impressive wins while he was sitting on the sidelines with his illness. They now look more impressive and should be ranked higher but you cant really move a fighter down in rank for not fighting. Most you could have done is take him off the rankings till he comes back.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another thing you have to realize is that the HW division has a small talent pool. Just look at how many fighters in the top 10 only have a few fights. Or have only won 1 or 2 big fights to get ranked top 10.

Brock is a legit number 2. The problem is that with his long layoff all the fighters under him have gotten a few impressive wins while he was sitting on the sidelines with his illness. They now look more impressive and should be ranked higher but you cant really move a fighter down in rank for not fighting. Most you could have done is take him off the rankings till he comes back.
My direct comparison did not even take into account his layoff. He has fought 3 good guts in 5 fights they have fought 3 good guys in more fights so no doubt it is really close i just think there wins are a tad better.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Who gives a damn?

Rankings are made by websites and none of it is official.

There is also a case that Brock having wins over Mir, Couture and Herring consecutively is greater than Cain having wins over Kongo, Rothwell and Nog and Carwin having wins over Mir and Gonzaga... a very good case.. though I suppose you can make a case for them as well if you want. It doesn't matter either way.

It will be decided when they step in the octagon and fight, which is what's great about the UFC, no ducking and it's decided in the cage.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.