Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day fellow MMA Fans!
First of all I'd like to greet you all in my first post.
I am a UFC fan since UFC 82 and just discovered recently that there are those UFN events which dont count as proper UFC events. So I wonder why is that. I mean, the content is the same, right?

Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So its some "B-class" ufc? But Kenny Florian was in tha last one, wasnt he? Has he become so bad? I dont want to discuss that subject here, if its debatable, I just dont know because I dont follow MMA that closely.

·
Registered
816 Posts
there headline the card with a good name most of the time such as kenny and jon bone jones

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
So its some "B-class" ufc? But Kenny Florian was in tha last one, wasnt he? Has he become so bad? I dont want to discuss that subject here, if its debatable, I just dont know because I dont follow MMA that closely.
Most of the under card for UFNs are TUF guys but they usually have good main events with b level fighters or rising stars. You just aren't going to see titles defended or big ppv draw fighters competing on those cards.

·
Registered
60 Posts
UFN is the "Ultimate Fight Night".

Usually put on for some smaller location to bring in the regional fans or at a military base to give back the to the enlisted guys.

Usually the main event would be equivalent to a opening fight on a PPV.

Most I've seen have been really decent shows.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Yeah the Min Events are usually a #1 contenders match or two quickly rising contenders (Like Jones/Vera on UFC on Versus or Nick Diaz/Grey Maynard at the UFN before) and the rest of them tend to be rising stars from the "B" tier. It doesn't mean they're bad at all though because UFNs tend to be better than PPVs because the guys fighting are hungrier for that W.

Like Binkie said, the main event is close first to third bout on a PPV card, teh rest is like the undercard for a PPV.

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As others have said, UFNs usually showcase upcoming talent and fighters that participated in TUF (The Ultimate Fighter).

Don't let the lack of big names on the card fool you, UFNs usually have great fights.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As others have said, UFNs usually showcase upcoming talent and fighters that participated in TUF (The Ultimate Fighter).

Don't let the lack of big names on the card fool you, UFNs usually have great fights.
Most definitely. Barn-burners out of nowhere. Some of those guys are very hungry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THank you very much guys, I understand.

You just aren't going to see titles defended or big ppv draw fighters competing on those cards.
what is a "draw fighter" sorry for my lack of english vocabulary. And even google suggests only "drow fighter". Nerds.

UFN is the "Ultimate Fight Night".
Usually put on for some smaller location to bring in the regional fans or at a military base to give back the to the enlisted guys.
What does the military give to the ufc/ to mma? Is it beacuse they encourage the soldiers to do sports especially martial arts and since that, many mma fighters have a military backround?

Thank you

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
THank you very much guys, I understand.

what is a "draw fighter" sorry for my lack of english vocabulary. And even google suggests only "drow fighter". Nerds.

What does the military give to the ufc/ to mma? Is it beacuse they encourage the soldiers to do sports especially martial arts and since that, many mma fighters have a military backround?

Thank you
Their way of showing appreciation to the troops is to give them a show to entertain them, they have also helped fund a medical facility for returning soldiers, here's an article.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=16570

Also, a "Draw Fighter" is a fighter that gets the publics attention and really sells the events. Basically it's the guys that are very popular with the fans and widely recognized.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
agreed i usually like ufn fights better then the ppv fights
It's beacuse those guys are trying to make a name for themselves and are still hungry. Honestly I can't remember the last time I ordered a PPV and the main event was the best fight.

·
Homicidal Maniac
6,197 Posts
I understand that, my question was, why.

Thank you
Their way of showing appreciation to the troops is to give them a show to entertain them, they have also helped fund a medical facility for returning soldiers, here's an article.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=16570

Also, a "Draw Fighter" is a fighter that gets the publics attention and really sells the events. Basically it's the guys that are very popular with the fans and widely recognized.
:confused02::confused02::confused02::confused02:

====
to add onto Mirage445's already good answer to the question

a company doing a support the troops campaign and/or events for the troops is done because Americans flock towards companies that do things to support the troops, the UFC in doing these events not only can help entertain the troops that probably have not had that much entertainment in a while but also the UFC gets more supporters from america's patriotic fans ect.. its a win win marketing ploy. while it is almost definitely a ploy allot of good comes of them for they got to build a medical facility and they bring more awareness to the american public about our troops

==========

also UFN are done to show people fights so that they get really hooked by the good fights so that they will want to buy the next PPV, UFN are also a cheaper way for the UFC to schedule events against another fighting corporations event so they can take away people that would other wise watch the other corporations fight card with out having to put on a big PPV and big fights.

example being, there will almost always be a UFC UFN card or a replay of a UFC PPV on at the same time a strikeforce card is going on

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
patriotic fans ect.. its a win win marketing ploy. while it is almost definitely a ploy allot of good comes of them for they got to build a medical facility and they bring more awareness to the american public about our troops
Not trying to start anything here but while hospitals and awareness is all good it is a bit odd with for example the US Marines sponsored weigh-ins ("proven on the fields of battle" etc.)... more or less commercials for people to join the war.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.