Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the difficulties the UFC is facing in Vancouver, I don't understand why the UFC would not at least explore Calgary, Alberta for the event. It is a city with a population of more than 1 million people, they have a full scale facility with over 19,000 seats, with no hockey in June, scheduling would not be a problem, MMA is fully approved (no insurance issues), and the travel is no further than Vancouver. I believe the WEC is already planning an event there and I'm sure both events could be successful. I'm pretty confident that a Calgary event would be fastest sell out in UFC history.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I don't know that they would be the fastest sell out as Montreal's shows went extremely quick but it would definitely be close. Fans from both Calgary and Edmonton(and in between) would attend as well as probably a few from BC and SK if it was the first in the area. What we lack in overall population we make up for in income and our tough attitude. The Dome would be rocking.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It's cos Bret Hart would kick their ass.
i was thinking the same thing but for Lance Storm, because he's from Calgary.......

Alberta, Canada.

What kind of problems are they having in Vancouver?

·
Registered
260 Posts
They'll be here soon, I think, I don't blame them for wanting to go to Vancouver and Toronto first, as they are larger markets, but I bet they'll be here soon.

·
Registered
933 Posts
They'll be here soon, I think, I don't blame them for wanting to go to Vancouver and Toronto first, as they are larger markets, but I bet they'll be here soon.
I can just see the poster, instead of Lesnar riding Herring, they could superimpose him on the Saddle Dome.

I am sure an event would do well there, probably fewer draconian rules than in Vancouver (an event which is now in serious jeopardy)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
With the difficulties the UFC is facing in Vancouver, I don't understand why the UFC would not at least explore Calgary, Alberta for the event. It is a city with a population of more than 1 million people, they have a full scale facility with over 19,000 seats, with no hockey in June, scheduling would not be a problem, MMA is fully approved (no insurance issues), and the travel is no further than Vancouver. I believe the WEC is already planning an event there and I'm sure both events could be successful. I'm pretty confident that a Calgary event would be fastest sell out in UFC history.
The insurance issues apparently are because the province doesn't indemnify the city (it does in Quebec). I don't know how Calgary and Alberta do it. Even if they have the same set up as Quebec, as long as MMA is still technically illegal in Canada there will be issues, we need a bill to be passed which shouldn't be that hard given the archaic wording of the law and obvious progression of MMA.

Oh, and while I'm sure MMA is popular in Calgary, they would never beat Montreal for speed of sellout, not while GSP is around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't believe they would run into the same issues as Vancouver, smaller MMA shows are running all the time in Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary (MFC for example). I know Montreal was a fast sellout, but I do think they would have no problem selling out the Saddledome very quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts