Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who takes it?

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Please conduct ALL of your discussion in regards to BJ "The Prodigy" Penn facing Frankie "The Answer" Edgar in this thread. All threads made in regards to this fight will be merged into this one.

This thread will be merged with the other thread after the replay airs.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Penn's too big and too good for Frankie, I fully expect him to dominate and get the stoppage in the later rounds.

I like Frankie and he's a great fighter but Penn's just a better version, and he's a lot bigger.

Frankie's got solid wrestling but Penn's so good at staying on his feet (unless he's fighting GSP) I don't see it being a factor at all, in fact he'll probably take Edgar down at will.

Penn RNC rd 3.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Penn's too big and too good for Frankie, I fully expect him to dominate and get the stoppage in the later rounds.

I like Frankie and he's a great fighter but Penn's just a better version, and he's a lot bigger.

Frankie's got solid wrestling but Penn's so good at staying on his feet (unless he's fighting GSP) I don't see it being a factor at all, in fact he'll probably take Edgar down at will.

Penn RNC rd 3.
This fight will probably not go to the ground. In BJ's previous fights, he kept his fights standing and he out-boxed his opponents. I don't see why he would want to take the fight to the ground (although when did take it to the ground in his previous fights, he finished his opponents rather easily).

Don't underestimate Frankie. He will put up a better fight against BJ than his previous opponents, but Frankie will still lose.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Edgar's got fast hands and good technical boxing, but I don't see him having a chance at beating BJ Penn. Should be more of a domination than GSP-Hardy. I expect Penn to finish Edgar in the 3rd.

·
Registered
571 Posts
This fight will probably not go to the ground. In BJ's previous fights, he kept his fights standing and he out-boxed his opponents. I don't see why he would want to take the fight to the ground (although when did take it to the ground in his previous fights, he finished his opponents rather easily).

Don't underestimate Frankie. He will put up a better fight against BJ than his previous opponents, but Frankie will still lose.
I'm not under-estimating Frankie, I said he's a great fighter and he has got very good boxing it's just Bj's is probably some of the best in MMA.

And yeah I also think the fight will stay standing until BJ swarms on him. I should've said BJ could probably take down Edgar at will if he wanted to.

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
Edgar taking the belt here would be a bigger upset than GSP/Serra. Anywhere the fight goes I can't see Frankie getting the better of BJ. I see a second or third round TKO.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I'm expecting a really good striking match until BJ decides its time to take him down and sub him in the third or fourth. Should be the most entertaining title defense from him in a while.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Gotta back my boy Frankie, but unfortunately I see a demolition by BJ. Odds'll be ridiculous though, definitely gonna put a couple K on Frankie.

·
Registered
794 Posts
if you had to put a game plan together for BJ Penn you would think he might box for 1-2 rounds then perhaps round 3 onwards look for the TD. You would expect BJ would have a bigger advantage on the ground than the feet so this would make sense. Prediction: BJ Penn by 3rd or 4th round submission.

·
official thrash metal connoisseur
3,329 Posts
BJ Penn will do what he always does: box with Edgar until he manages to hurt him, then go for a RNC.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
I don't think if Edgar beat Penn that it would be a bigger upset than when Serra beat St. Pierre. I think that Penn will win, but Edgar has proven himself against solid competition and earned the title shot that he is getting. His wrestling is better than Penn's and he does have very good hands while also being fast on his feet.

They both have something in common, they both convincingly outstruck Sherk so that leads me to believe that Edgar will manage to put up a better fight on his feet than Sherk did. I could see him having a similar game plan as Sherk, and that is trying to box with Penn. Edgar's good wrestling should be good enough to keep it standing for a while and I could see him possibly trying to use his speed to out strike Penn. I never said that I believe that it would work, though. I think Penn has superior hands, power, and i assume that he has more reach as well.

Penn has a great jab and he will probably be looking to throw that a lot to keep the smaller Edgar from getting inside. Penn also has a good chin and with Edgar's lack of power, I don't think that Penn will be too worried about getting tagged.

I think that this fight may be fairly competitive on the feet with BJ Penn getting the better of the exchanges. With his advantages to go with that, it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually hurts Edgar and manages to finish him on the ground with a submission if not a technical knock out.

This should be exciting in my opinion.

·
Registered
330 Posts
if edgar wins, tho i don't think he will, i wonder if it will re-invigorate penn at 155 or make him commit to a move to 170...?

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Although BJ will most likely win, I don't think Edgar is that big an underdog.

He has great wrestling and boxing, he completely nullified the threat of Sean Sherk by out-boxing him and stopping his attempted take-downs. If BJ gets him down, it's all over though.

Also, Frankie's chin is untested I think so although BJ will probably be able to hurt him, it's still an uncertainty.

I'm going for BJ Penn to win a decision.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Looks like BJ Penn is training hard and isn't taking Edgar lightly. On one of the rare occasions I think he might actually be the bigger fighter...lolz! Lets see if he mixes it up and actually goes for the take down.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts