Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Will Rogerio Nogueira ever hold UFC LHW title?

• Yes

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 44 60.3%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think Lil Nog is in the best top 3 LHW in the world who is yet to be crowned, his last fight with Shogun showed how his standup is technically more crisp, and his ground game is also impeccable. I think Regerio will catapult is way to the top for a title shot against Shogun again after Rampage/Rashad gets their shot.

What do you guys think I think he is better then Shogun lol, I know im gonna get alot of criticism for this haha but he did rock Shogun multiple times in the fight and just needed to capitalize, while Shogun kept taking him down.

Reactions: Rusty

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I hate to give the cop out answer, but I'll really have to see more of him in the Octagon to tell. I've been watching the sport for years and saw him in Pride, but modern MMA is a different animal (the sport is shifting quickly). He obviously looked amazing in his UFC debut - Such a great showing. But, we'll have to see how he deals with some stiffer competition.

Yes, his boxing and ground game are sick, but as you mentioned, Shogun was able to win through multiple takedowns. In the LHW division of the UFC, there are lots of guys looking to take you down.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't think he ever will, I think he'll always be that guy thats tough to beat and he'll get his wins but never get that winning streak to get a title shot.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol wow, seriously no one else besides me thinks he has a shot at the title?

Reactions: Sousa

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
You figure it takes two good wins out of that heap for a shot. Lil Nog VS Machida makes the most sense for the next #1 contender.

Unless A Silva gets a preferential shot, which I actually think he deserves.

Evans/Rampage/Machida/Rua/Lil Nog/A Silva/Forrest

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I gotta say no, but he's great and I love watching him fight.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lil Nog VS Machida makes the most sense for the next #1 contender.
Yeah I knew someone would mention this match up, even though it would be the one making most sense after Machida fights either Forrest or the loser of Rampage/Rashad. I really don't want that fight to happen because it would be disappointing to see either one of them lose.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I'd have to go with, "not likely." Unless Shogun gets another ACL tear or Machida doesn't recover mentally, which I highly doubt will be the case. I don't feel it's an absolute no, but I again, I don't think it's a likely scenario short of some kind of fluke. I like Lil Nog and Rua about the same, so I'd be glad if he was champ some day.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
I hate to give the cop out answer, but I'll really have to see more of him in the Octagon to tell. I've been watching the sport for years and saw him in Pride, but modern MMA is a different animal (the sport is shifting quickly). He obviously looked amazing in his UFC debut - Such a great showing. But, we'll have to see how he deals with some stiffer competition.

Yes, his boxing and ground game are sick, but as you mentioned, Shogun was able to win through multiple takedowns. In the LHW division of the UFC, there are lots of guys looking to take you down.
Shogun won, not just because of his take downs, but because he is a wizard on the ground. He is one of the few in the LHW division that could actually control lil nog on the ground. Wrestlers like rashad wouldnt stand a chance.

I give him a good shot at winning the belt. He gave shogun a good run for his money. He has the best boxing in the LHW division and a sick ground game. Wrestling is probably his weakness, but his jitz makes up for it. lil nog vs shogun is not far off, i just hope it is at least half as epic as their first encounter.

lil nog>Machida also.

Reactions: suniis

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I think he definitely could. He can definitely hang with Shogun as seen in their fight and I don't think he's easy cannon fodder for Machida. I'm not sure how he would against wrestlers though. His TDD is nothing spectacular and he has a tendency to remain in guard a bit too much. There aren't too many good wrestlers at LHW so I'd really like to see how he does against JBJ first.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I honestly feel that unlike Big Nog, Rogerio's career is still on the rise. I think we're going to see big things from him over the next couple of years. I'm positive he will fight for the title at some point and like any of the top 5 LHW's he has a good chance of winning the belt. However, holding on to it for any significant length of time is going to be difficult for him.

Reactions: xRoxaz

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Considering this is a thread before this Saturday which means before the after event hype, I suppose its a good measure of understanding how great Lil Nog truly is and yeah he definitely is on the rise unlike Big Nog who is currently not in the best stages of his career.

There's still alot of sorting out to do but when all the fights are done I think this is how the LHW Roster should/will look like according to my prediction for mid/late next year;

Machida/Shogun/Lil Nog
Rampage
Jon Jones
Rashad/Thiago

I really can't decide among the 3 legendary Brazilians.

Reactions: Godzuki

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Considering this is a thread before this Saturday which means before the after event hype, I suppose its a good measure of understanding how great Lil Nog truly is and yeah he definitely is on the rise unlike Big Nog who is currently not in the best stages of his career.

There's still alot of sorting out to do but when all the fights are done I think this is how the LHW Roster should/will look like according to my prediction for mid/late next year;

Machida/Shogun/Lil Nog
Rampage
Jon Jones
Rashad/Thiago

I really can't decide among the 3 legendary Brazilians.
I like your ranking, but me personally, I would put Lil Nog just a hint behind Machida/Shogun, until proven otherwise. But I do agree, Lil Nog is on the rise in the UFC. I just don't think he's earned a place "right next to" Machida/Rua "yet."

·
Registered
138 Posts
He's not get the LHW title shot if he keeps fighting Canes and Brilzes. But I think he is capable of producing fun fights against top guys.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Absolutely I think he can capture the belt. He needs to fight the loser of Page/Evans after Brilzes. Then maybe Machida for a number one contender spot.

He can hang with anyone in the division, he is a serious threat to Shogun.

Reactions: xRoxaz

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
He could but I reckon Shogun would win again. However, he's a great fighter and will pose problems for any fighter he faces.

I think he should either fight Forrest, Machida (if they agree to it because of the Black House connection) or the loser of Rampage-Rashad next.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
I think he should either fight Forrest, Machida (if they agree to it because of the Black House connection) or the loser of Rampage-Rashad next.
Absolutely agree. Machida has said in an interview he would fight Rogerio. Even though I love them both, that's a match up I'd love to see.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Shogun won, not just because of his take downs, but because he is a wizard on the ground. He is one of the few in the LHW division that could actually control lil nog on the ground. Wrestlers like rashad wouldnt stand a chance.

I give him a good shot at winning the belt. He gave shogun a good run for his money. He has the best boxing in the LHW division and a sick ground game. Wrestling is probably his weakness, but his jitz makes up for it. lil nog vs shogun is not far off, i just hope it is at least half as epic as their first encounter.

lil nog>Machida also.
Rashad is a poor example of a wrestler who could hold him down simply because Rashad has a poor base.

As for Lil Nog > Machida... nah, I don't agree with that. Machida is sick on the ground to, and is nasty about putting your ass on the mat when he wants to. Plus, boxing is good, but kickboxing opens up a whole different level of attack. See Sanchez vs. Stevens.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think Lil Nog can get the title if he doesn't cross path's with Machida. I see Lil Nog easily getting passed Rampage, Rashad, Thiago, Jon Jones and if he comes ready with motivation against Shogun he shud pull a win decisively this time.

Machida vs Lil Nog however depends on the type of style Machida will choose to bring.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.