Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I'm aware the Wolfslair isn't a gym with high level wrestlers, but Rampage must know Rashad will have little interest in trading punches the whole fight. I think Rashad is going to look to take him down over and over just like he did with Thiago Silva, but unlike with Thiago if Rampage lands on his chin it's end of the road. I know Rampage is a decent wrestler but Rashad has a good shot and might be able to impose his wrestling to get a boring decision.

Does anyone know if Rampage has some wrestlers flying out to train with him?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I dont know who all Rampage is training with, but I think with his good wrestling base, being bigger and most likely stronger, I dont think Rashad will be able to take him down at will. I think this is gonna be Jacksons fight to lose. If he comes in shape, he should be able to handles anything Rashad has to throw at him. The in shape factor is the big question mark. Just a guess anyway.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I see Rashad being able to complete a few TDs because of his explosiveness, but its that explosiveness that drains your energy and I dont think he'll be able to work that gameplan he had for T.Silva and Bisping against Rampage.

Rashad will have to finish his TDs from the clinch on the fence and I remeber Jackson holding his own against Hendo when he tried to muscle him against the cage. Rampage is freaking strong as hell.

Im not sur if he'll try that gameplan or the one he used against Liddell of trying to pick him apart from the outside with speed as he chases him. I think the Liddell gameplan would work better against Rampage.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Im not sur if he'll try that gameplan or the one he used against Liddell of trying to pick him apart from the outside with speed as he chases him. I think the Liddell gameplan would work better against Rampage.
Mmhmm. The Liddell gameplan mixed in with a little bit of the Forrest gameplan seems like the sensible option. Rashad will show a bit of everything in this fight, I think even his Ju Jitsu. I look for Rashad to take Jackson down with takedowns in the third round, which, I think would be the safest of rounds as Jackson will be probably be too tired and weak to stop them after being picked apart for rounds 1-2.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most of the UK fighters seem to have good hands, so that mixed in the Rampages wrestling background may not be a bad thing. No doubt he's probably the best fighter in that gym.

Rashad seems to be working hard on his conditioning and I'm sure he learned something from wearing himself out taking down T.Silva.

So my thought is that Rashad has good head movement, good take downs, good wrestling, etc,.. He should be able to nullify everything that Rampage has if he dodges those bombs that Rampage throws.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts

Rashad seems to be working hard on his conditioning and I'm sure he learned something from wearing himself out taking down T.Silva.

I know it may have looked like he was tired but he wasnt. He was hurt and a lil shaky from being tagged by Thiago Silva. His conditioning was fine in that fight.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Rashad aint going to be a bitch and take the fight to the ground. He is doing to try to prove he can knock rampage the f out. If he takes rampage down rampage is just going to talk shit afterwards. I would be shock if this fight goes to the ground. I got Rampage 2nd round knock out.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Rampage knows wrestling and BJJ(from what he says) so we'll see what he can do.

I actually don't think Rashad will try to win by just take down after take down I think he'll actually try to stand up to"prove a point". I think he's that stuborn enough to do it

·
Registered
342 Posts

I actually don't think Rashad will try to win by just take down after take down I think he'll actually try to stand up to"prove a point". I think he's that stuborn enough to do it
I dont know why everyone thinks Rashad is stubborn or has too big of an ego. Because he dared to talk shit back to Rampage?
Seriously, to me he seems like one of the most disciplined fighters in the game. He'll do what he's done in every fight: follow the gameplan his coaches have given him.

Still I think Rampage takes this because he is just a better fighter IMO.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Why are people so convince Rashad has to take Rampage down? Rampage is the most grossly overrated striker in MMA. Rampage is not a great striker, he hits hard and there is a big difference, did you see what Anderson Silva did to Forrest Griffen? That is a great striker, did you see what Forrest did to Rampage picking him apart? That is not. Rashad is a far better striker than Rampage with better boxing and better head movement and you know he is coming in and is gonna utilize a lot more kicks than we are used to seeing from him because Rampage doesn't check shit. Rashad is the better fighter in every aspect the only advantage Rampage will have is he is bigger stronger and probably hits harder. I give Rampage a punchers chance.

Reactions: The Dark Knight

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
wrestling- Rampage
boxing- Rampage
heart- Rampage
aggresiveness- Rampage
leg kicks- Rashad

wanna guess how this fight's gonna go?
go watch rampage vs eastman, then come back and discuss.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Why are people so convince Rashad has to take Rampage down? Rampage is the most grossly overrated striker in MMA. Rampage is not a great striker, he hits hard and there is a big difference, did you see what Anderson Silva did to Forrest Griffen? That is a great striker, did you see what Forrest did to Rampage picking him apart? That is not. Rashad is a far better striker than Rampage with better boxing and better head movement and you know he is coming in and is gonna utilize a lot more kicks than we are used to seeing from him because Rampage doesn't check shit. Rashad is the better fighter in every aspect the only advantage Rampage will have is he is bigger stronger and probably hits harder. I give Rampage a punchers chance.

I disagree. I dont think you are giving Rampage enough credit as a striker. The dude completely outstruck a prime Chuck Liddell (talking about there first fight in Pride). The guy throws some of the best hooks in the game. He is deceptivly quick and extremely powerful. He is also very hard to stop. He took some huge shots from Wandy and Shogun in Pride before either of them stopped him, he also took the best that Hendo had to throw in there fight. Im not a huge Rampage fan, but I think he is going to have a pretty decent advantage in the stand up game. I dont really care who wins this fight, but I cant wait to see it either.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
In that atrociously boring interview Rampage was in recently, he said he was a defensive wrestler in college so he already has a background in TDD.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I agree completely. About Rampage being a great striker, I reserve the word great for a guy like Anderson but Rampage can have good striking as he demonstrated in the Chuck fights and the Hendo fight, he looked horrible in the Forrest and Jardine fights. The biggest thing with Rampage is I think after he beat Hendo he let all the hype get to his head. In the Forrest and Jardine fights he wasn't boxing, he was punching. He's been way too KO happy and instead of throwing combinations and setting punches up he's been throwing his uppercut and left hook almost constantly looking for the big one punch KO. Yeah he KO'd Wand but that fight ended so quickly that it's hard to really break a fighter down based on a quick 1 punch KO like that when it's all he did in that fight. Rashad has better footwork, better movement in general. We all know Rampage doesnt defend anything, doesnt defend the clinch, doesnt check kicks. I guarantee you Rashad is gonna throw more kicks than he ever has in the fight. I like both fighters and am hoping for a war but theres no doubt imo that Rashad has more ways to win the fight and is the more dynamic, well-rounded fighter at this point in his career. Rampage hasn't used his wrestling since the Hendo fight, which was the best Rampage I've seen, but it's the only fight before or after that he's looked that good.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
are you guys forgetting how horrible rashad looked against thiago? he's biting off way more than he can chew with this rampage fight.

·
Registered
742 Posts
are you guys forgetting how horrible rashad looked against thiago? he's biting off way more than he can chew with this rampage fight.
I didnt think he looked bad at all. Did he completely dominant and tool his opponent in Anderson-esque fashion, no but he completely dominated and won the first 2 rounds very convincingly and then gets tagged by a guy who has power and suddenly he's not a top fighter or looks like crap. If Rashad fought Jardine I doubt he would go to a decision or it would be as close as when Page fought Jardine. Rashad also TKO'd Forrest a guy who basically picked Rampage apart aside from getting caught twice in 5 rounds. Rashad was coming off his first career loss against a potential dangerous guy in Thiago who is not a can or anything and for about 13 out of 15 minutes dominated and controlled the fight. Thiago might not be top 5 but he's alot better than Jardine and alot more dangerous than Jardine and even Forrest really. He's got KO power, vicious GnP and a BJJ backround.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts

Rashad is a Greg Jackson fighter. He will fight this fight with the same game plan he used for the Thiago Silva fight. And probably win a boring fight that will piss me off.

Then Shogun will destroy him!

I just hope Rampage lands before Rashad decides to get boring.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just think Rashad wants to prove a point much like he some what did against Chuck. I mean you get a ko against a guy like Chuck means a lot and just imagine if he ko's Rampage as well? Thats why I think Rashad will try to stand with Rampage

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.