Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Uber said: drivers are independent contractors not employees.

The US supreme court said: drivers are uber employees, not independent contractors.

This ruling could affect pro wrestling and MMA promotions.

Who classed wrestlers and fighters as independent contractors rather than employees for decades.

It could also bankrupt and kill off uber and similar enterprise if they're unable to appeal or reverse the call.

·
The Title Guy
17,645 Posts
Yeah similar to how I used to do Instacart on a regular basis and still do it on occasion when my day job isn't paying enough. It really sucks considering how we in California underwent that entire proposition vote and everything.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this ruling carries over to MMA promotions.

US promotions may be required to provide health insurance for fighters.

Which could cause bellator, PFL, BKFC and others who carry debt to file bankruptcy.

It is a possibility. One which probably won't be acknowledged or commented on for a long time.

Yeah similar to how I used to do Instacart on a regular basis and still do it on occasion when my day job isn't paying enough. It really sucks considering how we in California underwent that entire proposition vote and everything.

I made many posts about california on this forum, over the years.

Later I'll bump the thread I made years back about california trying to ruin MMA with their new ruleset.

Maybe people are in a better position to recognize it now.

·
The Title Guy
17,645 Posts
I actually read the article you posted and it said this was the UK Supreme Court that made this decision. It would effect if the UFC ever did business again in the UK but I seriously doubt this'll effect how the UFC does business everywhere else.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually read the article you posted and it said this was the UK Supreme Court that made this decision. It would effect if the UFC ever did business again in the UK but I seriously doubt this'll effect how the UFC does business everywhere else.

There was a big push to defund police in the UK.

Around 1 year before the big push to defund police in the USA.

Many failed and terrible policies implemented in south america, europe and asia have a way of eventually finding their way to our country.

·
The Title Guy
17,645 Posts
Yeah what it'll come down to is the areas in the US that want strong police will become the safer areas with the best police whereas the places with weaker, defunded police forces will be bad areas when it comes to crime. This idea that the funding can go to social programs is very flawed considering crime needs to go down first.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Americans discuss free education, free healthcare and similar topics.

Without realizing those programs were implemented years ago in places like venezuela with mixed results.

·
The Title Guy
17,645 Posts
Mixed results? How about just plainly bad results. People are starving to the point that they are hunting rats and then the military is destroying aid that comes in at the border. Julianna Pena is one of the outspoken people against it because of what it did in Venezuela. Also remember that it's not free because higher taxes will be what pays for it down the line.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Micro nations like norway and denmark run successful free education programs.

There's a question of whether a program that works for a tiny countries like norway & denmark with populations of 5 million can scale to the US with its population of 300+ million.

I think denmark gives students a monthly stipend of around $1k. Its not a bad deal.

·
The Title Guy
17,645 Posts
As a micronationalist I'd like to point out that Norway and Denmark are more like microstates if they are to bear the micro name. Also as you pointed out those nations have much smaller populations then many states in the United States which is again why that can work. That's the problem with many of these people who point out European policies that work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts