Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UFC President Dana White has already started pushing the promotion’s next big heavyweight attraction following Brock Lesnar’s second-round submission victory against Shane Carwin at UFC 116 last Saturday in Las Vegas.

Lesnar, who unified the division’s two titles after returning from a yearlong layoff to a severe intestinal disorder, will meet Cain Velasquez next. American Kickboxing Academy’s Velasquez has been quietly waiting in the wings for a title shot since he dismantled former UFC and Pride Fighting Championships champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 110 last February in Sydney, Australia.

White said the bout’s date would be determinant on Lesnar, who’s expecting another child with his wife in a couple of weeks.

“Cain Velasquez doesn’t have that many fights either. Him and Brock are in the same boat. That’s going to be a fun one,” said White. “Both are good wrestlers and a lot of Cain’s game is wrestling. Cain Velasquez is a powerhouse.”

The outspoken UFC president said he was impressed with Lesnar’s daring to try an arm-triangle choke on Carwin in the second round of their bout, which eventually coaxed the Jackson-Wittman trained fighter to tap out.

“Your arms are smoked after (holding that move),” said White. “It was a risky move, but he pulled it off, and it was a ballsy move. Brock showed tonight that he’s evolving and he’s willing to take some chances and to try out some of the s--t he’s learning in the gym.”

White also said that the winner of the Junior dos Santos-Roy Nelson bout, scheduled for UFC 117 on Aug. 7 in Oakland, Calif., would determine the division’s next title challenger following the Lesnar-Velasquez tilt.

In other notes:

• White said he wasn’t convinced that UFC mainstay Chuck Liddell has embraced a move to retirement. White reiterated that he wanted the former light heavyweight champion, who sat cageside on Saturday, to hang up his gloves.

“Chuck’s having a hard time with this thing…You have to understand this guy’s been in this thing longer than me and he loves the sport,” said White.

The UFC president also apologized to Liddell’s camp for accusing them of misadvising him to continue on with a career that has seen three straight knockout losses since September 2008. White said Liddell’s team is looking out for the fighter’s best interests.

• White said “Ultimate Fighter” finalist Stephan Bonnar redeemed himself with a gutsy performance against Krzysztof Soszynski on Saturday.

“I was getting worried that Stephan Bonnar was getting soft there because he knew ‘Uncle Dana’ would always take care of him,” said White.

The UFC president reiterated that Bonnar and “TUF 1” cohort Forrest Griffin would always be taken care of by the promotion, but that either could still get cut as an active fighter after poor showings.

• Ecstatic with UFC 116 as a whole, White said the promotion planned to compensate some of the night’s roster more than their announced performance bonuses: “We’re writing checks, more than what you heard of here tonight.” said White. “Guys are going to get well taken care of. Tonight was the greatest night of fights I’ve ever seen.”

• The UFC said it would return to Australia in 2010, and has its sights set on China, South Korea and India.

• White announced plans to set up a UFC office in mainland China in the coming weeks. White said the company had hired the person to head up the new office on Saturday and that an announcement was forthcoming. The UFC opened an office last May in Toronto and has an existing U.K branch in London, which opened in 2006.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/White-on-Lesnar-Velasquez-Bonnars-Redemption-Liddells-Future-25492

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
Guess it does good to please the boss no? Dana breaking out the check book shows he is rewarding fighters for leaving it in the cage........ As for JDS and Big Country......I think it will be a good fight but dont see Roy coming out on top.....I wonder what Dana will do with Roy if he loses????...Better yet the size of the brick he will shit if Roy pulls off the win? I said it months ago that Roy would be inline for the title........Wow

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess it does good to please the boss no? Dana breaking out the check book shows he is rewarding fighters for leaving it in the cage........ As for JDS and Big Country......I think it will be a good fight but dont see Roy coming out on top.....I wonder what Dana will do with Roy if he loses????...Better yet the size of the brick he will shit if Roy pulls off the win? I said it months ago that Roy would be inline for the title........Wow
yeah it would be hilarious if roy won, dana likes him as much as he likes fedor. i'll never forget the TUF 10 finale weigh-ins photo, when roy was on the scale dana has this look on his face of pure disgust.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
wow, i thought it would take roy at least 2 more fights to get a title shot, since it looks like dana isnt really a fan, though i think dana doesnt have anything against him anymore...since hes been in the UFC hes given us some awesome KOs

but dana probably doesnt think roy has any chance of winning, he wants to put JDS with brock right after cain (also thinking cain doesnt have much of a chance)

this is pretty cool, every1 was talking about carwin, cain, and JDS, and brock already took out one of them, cain is already next in line, and now JDS? hes gonna take out the 3 biggest threats already, man if brock really does beat them both...i cant imagine some1 beating him...maybe overeem? fedor? though he will never come to the ufc...werdum? Prime NOG could finish him =/

anyway, i dont think ppl are giving nelson enough credit, he has some sick grappling and good KO power, many think this will be a easy fight for JDS but i disagree, i think nelson has a nice chance of taking him down and subbing him, we havent seen much of JDS' game, but just because hes a black belt doesnt mean he cant get subbed

also he just might end up getting caught with a punch, nelson just has a way of getting that fist in there, though this will be very hard with JDS' sick boxing

still, i dont know, i bet on JDS but i wouldnt be surprised to see nelson pull out a victory, big country is dangerous!

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
yeah it would be hilarious if roy won, dana likes him as much as he likes fedor. i'll never forget the TUF 10 finale weigh-ins photo, when roy was on the scale dana has this look on his face of pure disgust.
The hilarious part would be Brock vs Roy, i think Brock might accidently laugh at the stare down.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I think JDS was one fight away from a title shot annyway. But Roy Nelson being one fight away from the title. That's huge.
I don't know if he deserves it...but i don't really care.
JDS vs Nelson should be a good fight. I give JDS the big advantage. His striking should make all the difference. But anything can happen.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Why would anyone that's actually watched MMA be surprised that Roy can hang in the UFC?

JDS is a bad fight for him though and even though I really like Nelson he's going to need to fix a few leaks before I'd call him a legitimate contender.

I really dont see him winning this fight but it should be fun to watch.

As far as Dana goes, Roy has built a fan base and can bring in PPV's what else dose Dana care about? He'll keep Nelson around, dudes contract is not even half over yet anyway and by the time its up he'll have beat a few more solid fighters.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think JDS was one fight away from a title shot annyway. But Roy Nelson being one fight away from the title. That's huge.
I don't know if he deserves it...but i don't really care.
JDS vs Nelson should be a good fight. I give JDS the big advantage. His striking should make all the difference. But anything can happen.
i think it's a hardy/swick sitiaution where they set up the fight expecting swick to win as he had the record with more consecutive wins while hardy didn't have as many.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
i think it's a hardy/swick sitiaution where they set up the fight expecting swick to win as he had the record with more consecutive wins while hardy didn't have as many.
Hmmmm...In a way...yes. Setting up the fight, not really knowing who the contender will be.
But other than that...i don't think so.
I mean: you could compare Hardy to Nelson. At the point they were/are one fight away from the number 1 contender, both of them didn't/don't have that many fights in the UFC. Both undefeated.
But i wouldn't compare JDS to Swick. No way. Maybe it's a bit unfair to say this, because now we know more about Swick, than we know about JDS. He didn't look that good against Hardy and then got subbed by Thiago also. So it does feel like he was overhyped before fighting Hardy.
JDS on the other hand is undefeated and the level of competition he has faced is higher than the one Swick faced.
To make it short...JDS has a much better position in his division than Swick had at that point.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Swick has never beaten anyone at 185 or 170 that is equivalent to Werdum, Gonzaga, or CroCop. Hardy/Swick was two unproven up and comers fighting for a title shot that was defaulted to them by Kampmann. JDS/Nelson is two proven fighters competing for a title shot.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
I think it makes sense. Mir and NOG are coming off losses. The winner of Brock vs Cain (Brock) should fight the winner of JDS vs Nelson. Nelson is the closest thing to a contender that hasn't just been KO'd in the first round or just lost a title fight.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Only after Cain/Lesnar. Honestly I think the winner of Nelson/JDS should fight Carwin for the winner of Cain/Lesnar. The HW picture is finally starting to fall into place now though.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Only after Cain/Lesnar. Honestly I think the winner of Nelson/JDS should fight Carwin for the winner of Cain/Lesnar. The HW picture is finally starting to fall into place now though.
Why should JDS fight Carwin for a title shot if he beats Nelson? Carwin got a title shot after two wins against good competition at HW. JDS will have beaten 6 straight quality HWs.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Why should JDS fight Carwin for a title shot if he beats Nelson? Carwin got a title shot after two wins against good competition at HW. JDS will have beaten 6 straight quality HWs.
I would really say they were top flight fighters and Nelson isn't a top 5. JDS hasn't beaten a top 5 guy yet, Werdum Struve Crop Cop Yvel and GG, I think he needs another win after Nelson before he should step in for the belt. While impressive the way he's beaten those guys, that list of wins is not that impressive to me.

And Carwin didn't get a title shot because of WHO he fought, he got a title shot because of the way he was finishing fights in a minutes. JDS is KOing guys but not like that. Carwin put people out cold before they hit the mat.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmmm...In a way...yes. Setting up the fight, not really knowing who the contender will be.
But other than that...i don't think so.
I mean: you could compare Hardy to Nelson. At the point they were/are one fight away from the number 1 contender, both of them didn't/don't have that many fights in the UFC. Both undefeated.
But i wouldn't compare JDS to Swick. No way. Maybe it's a bit unfair to say this, because now we know more about Swick, than we know about JDS. He didn't look that good against Hardy and then got subbed by Thiago also. So it does feel like he was overhyped before fighting Hardy.
JDS on the other hand is undefeated and the level of competition he has faced is higher than the one Swick faced.
To make it short...JDS has a much better position in his division than Swick had at that point.
I'm not comparing the level of competition I'm saying that two guys are in a number one contenders match and one has more consecutive wins in the UFC as the other. JDS is on a five fight winning streak so it's only logical that he gets the next shot but they can't only give JDS a shot if he wins they also have to give nelson if he wins too.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
I would really say they were top flight fighters and Nelson isn't a top 5. JDS hasn't beaten a top 5 guy yet, Werdum Struve Crop Cop Yvel and GG, I think he needs another win after Nelson before he should step in for the belt. While impressive the way he's beaten those guys, that list of wins is not that impressive to me.

And Carwin didn't get a title shot because of WHO he fought, he got a title shot because of the way he was finishing fights in a minutes. JDS is KOing guys but not like that. Carwin put people out cold before they hit the mat.
MMAweekly 411 and Sherdog have Werdum as the number 2 HW in the world, I don't see five guys being better than JDS or Werdum. Carwin got the title shot because he was the easiest match up for Mir and the UFC wanted Mir/Lesnar III, they also figured even if Carwin won he would still draw.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
MMAweekly 411 and Sherdog have Werdum as the number 2 HW in the world, I don't see five guys being better than JDS or Werdum. Carwin got the title shot because he was the easiest match up for Mir and the UFC wanted Mir/Lesnar III, they also figured even if Carwin won he would still draw.
Werdum went from being near the bottom of the top 10 and even out of it some places to top 5 because he beat Fedor, he's not a top 5 fighter. Very skilled grappler, but not a top 5 fighter.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts