Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With “Shogun” Rua injured till March, Lyoto Machida calls for interim title fight

Former UFC light heavyweight champion, Lyoto Machida is eyeing an interim title fight with Rashad Evans in the not so distant future according to his manager after hearing current champ, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua will be injured until at least March.

Speaking via MMAJunkie.com, Ed Soares said:

“Honestly, we’d like to fight ‘Shogun’. Now it’s 1-1. It’s even. Let’s do this rubber match. Let’s figure this out. Granted, he won by decision and Lyoto won decisively, but anyone can get caught in this sport. He went in for the kill, and unfortunately, he got caught.”

“Since ‘Shogun’ is out – they’re saying until March – personally, when there’s an injured champion, I would love to see maybe a Rashad-Lyoto match for the interim title. I think that would be something that would be cool, and the winner of that would get to fight ‘Shogun’ when he’s all healed up in the spring of next year.”

“One of the coolest things [Machida] told me after the fight (with Rua) was he really, truly feels like a complete fighter now. He knows what it feels like to win. He knows what it’s like to be a champ, and now he knows what’s it’s like to lose. It’s going to make him a better fighter – a better person. I guarantee you, he’s going to come back as the best fighter you’ve ever seen. This has only improved him.”

Machida was also in the studio alongside Soares and said:

“I came here to the States to train a lot more wrestling, and of course to spend a lot more time training with Anderson. I think he’s good training for me, especially for my upcoming opponent, whoever that may be. But I’m healed. I’m ready to go, and I’m ready to get back in there and fight as soon as they give me someone.”

“It was always in my plan to spend more time here, especially to do my training here. Especially now that I don’t have any fight scheduled, I’m a lot more at ease being able to spend more time here and acclimate to what it’s like to train here.”

·
Registered
963 Posts
well the rubber match is completely unnessacary right now for obvious reasons imo, and even if we do have in interim title i dont think machida deserves to fight for it just yet coming off a loss. i say anderson silva vs rashad evans then rua can fight anderson on his return haha too bad that wont happen

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
I dont see rashad as an easy win for anybody. I think he'll be using his wrestling a lot more from now on. he'll be the black GSP.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
I want to see Machida earn his title shot. He shouldnt get the interim belt just for beating rashad. Id like to say him face either rampage or lil nog as well and maybe jon jones.

·
Registered
780 Posts
When Randy destroys the fat boxer let him face rashad, much bigger fight.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
lol, of course he does.

I'm not saying Machida doesn't warrant being a part of said interim title fight. Truth is, though he may never figure out Rua, he'd likely still lay waste to 3.5/4s of the division. But come on... at least earn back your place, my man. Earning your way to a title match used to mean something in the UFC, and in many regards, it still does. But we've seen far too many gifted second chances as of late. Lyoto is capable of clawing his way back to the top, and you'd think he'd want to do so in an honourable fashion... which doesn't include tactics like this. Jumping on the chance to fight someone you brutally defeated now that the man you can't seemingly beat (legitimately) is injured? That's pretty weak in my books, and Machida is better than that.

Though, I guess we do have to remember that Ed Soares is speaking FOR Machida, and I'm sorry, but Ed Soares is a bit of a slime ball at times.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Machida should definitely be forced to fight at least one fight before getting an interim title shot. Let Rashad fight Jon Jones for the interim title after Jones destroys in his next fight, and then let Lyoto fight Rampage in the meantime.

The winner of Rampage/Machida will fight the winner of Rashad/Jones for the interim title, and the titles will be unified when Shogun gets back and ready.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Though, I guess we do have to remember that Ed Soares is speaking FOR Machida, and I'm sorry, but Ed Soares is a bit of a slime ball at times.
i hope it's just ed soares talking because if it's machida than i really can't stand the guy anymore, it seems that anderson is starting to rub off on him, like why the hell does he think he derves the interim title shot? and also why would he wan't to fight vitor when he is a MW? perhaps trying to get him away from anderson?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Of course he'd love to see an interim title fight, Rashad is an easy win for Lyoto. Lyoto can become champion again with little to no work.
I doubt this as Rashad would come into the rematch with a much different gameplan.

But that also doesnt mean that Machida wont beat Rashad easily again.......

Great fight and I would love to see this rematch as Rashad will have a different gameplan than that horrible one he had in the first fight.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Interim titles suck and are worthless. There's absolutely no point other than to have two gold belts on the poster for the event. They're confusing to the casual fan and meaningless to hardcore fans.

Either strip Shogun of the belt he earned or don't, but no more of this interim trash.

Besides, while Lyoto is out-of-this-world good, who says he gets an immediate shot at the title? In many minds, he lost two title fights in a row. No matter how you look at it, he got KTFO in his last fight.

No, I say we let the one and only title sit around the waist of the rightful champion.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Was he not training with Andy to prepare for Shogun? I don't remember if that camp coincided with Andy recovering from surgery or not. If you have the best MT fighter in MMA available to prepare you for the second or third best then you should be taking advantage of that.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Everyone needs to keep in mind that if this interim thing did happen it would only be Lyoto's belt after he faces Franklin then Rashad....there will and should def be a warm up match in there for Lyoto, but after a win over Franklin it isn't out of the realm to fight Rashad for an interim belt, do I want to see that.....NO.....Machida already worked Rashad and for those that think Rashad will wrestle Machida to a win if they were to fight again take these three things into consideration.

He is here in the states to train more on wrestling, he basically stuffed everyone of Rua's take downs, he has a Sumo background himself, and the last real wrestler he fought he tossed around the cage for three rounds....his name was Tito Ortiz. Sorry that was 4 things.....

Either way I want Franklin then Rampage in any of those orders then Rashad can frankly go fly a kite Machida will be due a shot...and honestly if you imagine and fast forward in your mind for a sec what those 2 wins would have people saying about Lyoto....Title Shot.

If he is asked to drop I could see him doing it without too much problem he is not a big 205er and Anderson is going to be coming to 205 after Sonnen and Belfort....according to Dana....:thumbsup:

Edit: @ OSMIUM....No he wasnt training with Anderson for Rua....he was at The Terra Alta Farm in Belam...

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Everyone needs to keep in mind that if this interim thing did happen it would only be Lyoto's belt after he faces Franklin then Rashad....there will and should def be a warm up match in there for Lyoto, but after a win over Franklin it isn't out of the realm to fight Rashad for an interim belt, do I want to see that.....NO.....Machida already worked Rashad and for those that think Rashad will wrestle Machida to a win if they were to fight again take these three things into consideration.

He is here in the states to train more on wrestling, he basically stuffed everyone of Rua's take downs, he has a Sumo background himself, and the last real wrestler he fought he tossed around the cage for three rounds....his name was Tito Ortiz. Sorry that was 4 things.....

Either way I want Franklin then Rampage in any of those orders then Rashad can frankly go fly a kite Machida will be due a shot...and honestly if you imagine and fast forward in your mind for a sec what those 2 wins would have people saying about Lyoto....Title Shot.

If he is asked to drop I could see him doing it without too much problem he is not a big 205er and Anderson is going to be coming to 205 after Sonnen and Belfort....according to Dana....:thumbsup:

Edit: @ OSMIUM....No he wasnt training with Anderson for Rua....he was at The Terra Alta Farm in Belam...
Add this to ColdCall's post.

Machida has the best takedown defense in UFC history, statistically speaking that is.

·
Homicidal Maniac
6,197 Posts
Interim titles suck and are worthless. There's absolutely no point other than to have two gold belts on the poster for the event. They're confusing to the casual fan and meaningless to hardcore fans.

Either strip Shogun of the belt he earned or don't, but no more of this interim trash.
My thoughts exactly, Interm belt are pointless in situation like these they should just strip the champ and when he comes back he gets number 1 contender spot

·
Registered
585 Posts
Machida should get a match or two before getting right back into the title picture. I think the guy to fight Anderson(if he beats Sonnen) It works out perfectly I think. I also think Interim belts are rather fair and important when an injury occurs. Its bogus if a guy gets hurt and he has to be stripped of the title. What if he hurts himself in a title fight that he wins? Makes no sense to strip a newly crowned champ

For anyone to say Jon Jones wow you're crazy he'd get beaten , he's clearly not ready teh guy still has to face Matsyhuenko and what if he loses?exactly

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Machida should get a match or two before getting right back into the title picture. I think the guy to fight Anderson(if he beats Sonnen) It works out perfectly I think. I also think Interim belts are rather fair and important when an injury occurs. Its bogus if a guy gets hurt and he has to be stripped of the title. What if he hurts himself in a title fight that he wins? Makes no sense to strip a newly crowned champ

For anyone to say Jon Jones wow you're crazy he'd get beaten , he's clearly not ready teh guy still has to face Matsyhuenko and what if he loses?exactly
jon jones would ragdoll anderson

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
It is possible that Bones could get a judo throw or two on Andy but he would probably get subbed on the ground at this point in his developement.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.