Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be a great DVD to start with, they're using all the fights undercard and all:

While DVD sales have long been a profitable venture for the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the promotion's sister organization has been noticeably absent from the market.

Today, that changed.

World Extreme Cagefighting has partnered with Image Entertainment, Inc., for a "long-term" DVD distribution agreement.

According to an official release issued by the companies today, the agreement calls only for the release of "select" WEC events, the first of which will be April's wildly successful "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber" event, which is set for a July 20 release.

"We are pleased to announce this distribution agreement with Image Entertainment," WEC vice president Peter Dropick stated in today's release. "We have very loyal fans that continuously follow us, and by teaming up with Image Entertainment, we are building a DVD library for them to enjoy whenever they'd like."

Featuring a featherweight title fight between current champion Jose Aldo and fan favorite Urijah Faber, WEC 48 took place on April 24 in Sacramento, Calif., and aired live on Spike TV and pay-per-view.

The WEC 48 DVD will feature all 11 of the evening's contests, as well as additional footage and special features. The title will be released in both DVD and Blu-ray format.

"WEC fights have a huge following as evidenced by their highly-rated programming and dedicated fans," Image Entertainment chief acquisitions officer Bill Bromiley stated. "Fans love to follow the WEC fighters throughout every aspect of their careers, and we plan to give them plenty of exclusive content with which to be entertained."

Information on additional WEC DVD titles will be made available in the coming months.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/19128/wec-signs-dvd-distribution-deal-wec-48-aldo-vs-faber-set-for-july-20-release.mma

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
I am so glad that the WEC is finally going to put out at least 1 DVD, it kills me that my favorite promotion doesn't put out many DVDs.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
On DVD - ‘Fight of the Decade’, 10 Other WEC Fights

“Right place, right time” has been a recurring theme in the distinguished career of Leonard Garcia. The 31-year-old Texas native snatched a slice of history a few years ago when he and Roger Huerta graced the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine. Three months ago fate shined upon the giddy brawler yet again: Garcia and South Korea’s Chan Sung Jung kept fans on the edge of their seats by waging a back-and-forth fistic thriller that ringside commentator Joe Rogan instantly hailed as “Fight of the Decade.”

“My mom was watching the fight and she didn’t sit down the entire time,” Garcia said. “She went through every emotion. She had shortness of breath; she went from being happy and screaming, to being sad and crying.”

While any self-respecting fight fan is sure to enjoy the Garcia-Jung classic, the dramatic clash is also the perfect kind of theater to whet the appetite of non-fans and introduce them to MMA, which is one reason why the widely-acclaimed adrenaline fix was a no-brainer for inclusion on the newly released DVD, Aldo vs. Faber, in stores now.

Filmed at Arco Arena in front of more than 14,000 Sacramento fans in April – and broadcast on pay-per-view -- WEC 48 delivered 11 fights that comprised one of the year’s most action-packed fight cards, including compelling title bouts between top featherweights Jose Aldo and Urijah Faber and a much-anticipated rematch between world lightweight champ Benson Henderson and Donald Cerrone (Henderson and Cerrone had fought in 2009 in a five-rounder that many considered to be Fight of The Year).

“If you want to get to know the sport, and you’re not that familiar with it, this is the DVD to buy,” Garcia said. “I’ve heard a lot of people tell me that they watched the fight and became fans of MMA after that. It’s been crazy for me since that fight, even crazier than after the Roger Huerta fight. Everywhere I go people started noticing me.”

Henderson also expects the DVD to elevate people’s consciousness as to just how exciting the lighter weight classes, hoping it will help correct the Big Man Bias that for too long has dominated the fight game.

“I think it’s awesome and a big step for the WEC as a company,” he said. “I’ve been waiting for it for a long time. Hopefully we continue to have all of our fights on DVD and some of the older fights as well. It’s quality, wholesome entertainment. It doesn’t get any better.”

The WEC recently partnered with Image Entertainment in a long-term distribution agreement that gives the California-based company exclusive U.S. and Canadian DVD and Blu-ray rights for select WEC fights. The DVD’s will also offer special, never-before-seen footage surrounding the fights.

“We’re really looking forward to kicking things off with the DVD and Blu-ray release of the historic “Aldo vs. Faber” event and following it up with “The Best of WEC” release in September, which will be a must-have for all MMA fans,” said Jim Goranitis, Executive Director of Marketing for Image Entertainment. “That’s what WEC is all about: the world’s top athletes, intense fighting and non-stop action, not to mention having the greatest, most dedicated fans. And Image Entertainment is excited to work with WEC to provide fight fans with quality home entertainment product that they can enjoy any time they’d like.”

The DVD and Blu-ray can be purchased at UFCstore.com, Walmart, Amazon.com and fye.com.

Garcia said he “takes a lot of pride” in being included on the DVD. The Greg Jackson protégé rested for more than two months following the war of attrition to heal a broken hand. Garcia was so impressed by Jung’s performance against him that he took the extraordinary step of buying a couple “Korean Zombie” t-shirts, which have become wildly popular since their clash. It is Garcia’s way of honoring the man who pushed him to the brink and shared a piece of history with him.

“I just felt like the stylistic matchup was the key for me,” Garcia said. “Anybody who stands in front of me it will make for an interesting fight. That’s just my type of fight. I always try to take fights with guys that are going stand. That was the perfect fight for me.

“I own four of his T-shirts. I support him. He’s a great fighter and a lot of things in did in the fight surprised me. It was a huge step for me that helped cement both of us in the sport.”

http://www.wec.tv/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=84217
I love this. I am definitely going to be buying the WEC fights! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Great, except that I still can't get UFC events on BluRay (with 100 excepted). Let's work on that.

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Watched it today, kinda bummed it was in standard def, but was fun to watch the entire card all the way through, unaired prelims and all. Watching the way Pettis and Roller handles their tough opponents really makes you look forward to seeing their fight at the next event, by the way.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
More news.

Some of the greatest fights in the history of World Extreme Cagefighting® will be available on one, action-packed DVD and Blu-Ray®. Image Entertainment, Inc. (OTCQB: DISK), one of the largest independent home entertainment distributors in North America and acknowledged pioneer of the multi-billion dollar optical disc industry, announced today that it will release the “BEST OF WEC” on Tuesday, Sept. 7.

The latest offering from World Extreme Cagefighting® will feature six of the greatest fights in the history of the lighter weight classes, as well as never-before-seen bonus footage. “BEST OF WEC” features over three hours of tremendous action and will be available in DVD and Blu-Ray® format at Best Buy and select retailers across the United States.

“The ‘BEST OF WEC’ release is a superb collection of WEC’s most thrilling fights and features some of the top fighters in the world,” Bill Bromiley, Chief Acquisitions Officer of Image Entertainment, said. “Image Entertainment is very excited to offer fans a front row seat to the best, most memorable fights the MMA world has ever seen.”

Included on the “BEST OF WEC” DVD are the following fights: Miguel Angel Torres vs. Takeya Mizugaki in a bantamweight title clash from April 2009; A lightweight war between Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone and “Razor” Rob McCullough from Nov. 2008; Miguel Angel Torres vs. Yoshiro Maeda for the 135-pound title from June 2008; The epic featherweight title bout between “The California Kid” Urijah Faber and Jens “Lil Evil” Pulver from June 2008; The 2009 Fight of the Year featuring Ben “Smooth” Henderson vs. Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone for the interim lightweight championship; the five-round featherweight title battle between Mike Brown and “The California Kid” Urijah Faber.

“After the success of our first release, Aldo vs. Faber, we are excited to offer ‘BEST OF WEC’ to our loyal fans,” WEC Vice President Peter Dropick said. “Our goal is to give our following the opportunity to build a library of some of the greatest fights in WEC history. ‘BEST OF WEC’ continues that trend and is an absolute must-have for any mixed martial arts fan.”
Source

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.